louise_thg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all, im thinking of doing Classics (not classical civilisation) for a level as im applying to 6th forms right now and I was just wondering what it involves. Has anyone got any opinions on the subject? Im also taking textiles, Chinese (mandarin) and government+politics also. Not a great bunch of subjects that go well together but I like them all even if they don't go and im hoping that wont matter... Has anyone got any thoughts on Classics? What does it include, is it very hard, is it interesting, is it more like history or English?Thanks
moaningmuffin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been doing Latin for 3 years - 4 and 5 lessons per week -, which included CC at my school. I personally loved it, it was always really interesting, but what about Latin itself? There should be a fair part of CC in it, too and universities like people who did Latin

Posted from TSR Mobile
BluWacky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by louise_thg)
Hi all, im thinking of doing Classics (not classical civilisation) for a level as im applying to 6th forms right now and I was just wondering what it involves. Has anyone got any opinions on the subject? Im also taking textiles, Chinese (mandarin) and government+politics also. Not a great bunch of subjects that go well together but I like them all even if they don't go and im hoping that wont matter... Has anyone got any thoughts on Classics? What does it include, is it very hard, is it interesting, is it more like history or English?Thanks
"Classics" doesn't narrow it down very much. There's only one Classics A Level qualification and it's basically made by picking and choosing modules from the normal A levels for Latin, Greek, Classical Civilisation and Ancient History. You would need to find out from your 6th form what their course would entail - it could be more like History if you do predominantly historical modules, or it could be more like English if you do predominantly literature modules.
MakeContact
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my understanding as a Classics:Latin student, Classical Civ at A2 is a bit like History and English combined, but looking at and analysing Classical texts such as the Iliad.

I'm not sure what "Classics" in general means but presumably both Latin and Class Civ, and possibly Greek as well, depending on your school/your choices.

Latin A2 is a lot harder than AS I would say, although AS level provides a solid foundation for all the grammar principles etc, so if you learnt your grammar, you should be fine with practice!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi all, im thinking of doing Classics (not classical civilisation) for a level as im applying to 6th forms right now and I was just wondering what it involves. (...)
At sixth form Latin contains excerpts from well-known Roman characters (Caesar, Bellum Gallicum; Cicero, de finibus bonorum et malorum to name two examples) which should be translated. Moreover you get a closer look at the writing styles and debate about the writing. The writings are very different (Caesar's Bellum Gallicum is a report about the war against Gaul, while Virgil's writings are poems)

(...) is it very hard, is it interesting (...)
All writings are interesting, but the translations are very hard in part based on the writing styles (for me at least).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed