The Student Room Group

Computing or Business Computing/information technology?

Hi everyone,

I can't decide what course I want to pursue at University. I'm tied between doing computing or business computing at Brunel University. And Business Information Technology at Kent. I love technology, and I am somewhat good at programming (I know various programming languages like PHP and Javascript etc). But I don't know what course would be best for me.. I do enjoy business, mainly the marketing side of it, though I really want to learn how to make stuff (I.e Applications/programming). Is anyway in the same situation as me? Or better yet, doing either Computing or Business computing?

Regards,
Alex.

PS
Could anyone tell me about the mathematics involved? I heard its mainly desecrate mathematics.
(edited 10 years ago)
Computing would make you more employable, but it would be quite maths and science based rather than doing or making stuff. It's discrete mathematics you're looking for, and yes, there's a lot of that. Have you done A levels? It's a more advanced version of the things you would have done in D1 and D2 of Maths and FM.
Reply 2
Original post by benplumley
Computing would make you more employable, but it would be quite maths and science based rather than doing or making stuff. It's discrete mathematics you're looking for, and yes, there's a lot of that. Have you done A levels? It's a more advanced version of the things you would have done in D1 and D2 of Maths and FM.

Thats what I was afraid of. I didn't do A-Level Mathematics, thats not to say I'm terrible at it. I believe I got a B-C GCSE. Have you done this course yourself?
I'm in year 14 currently but I've been doing a lot of research into computer science because that's the course I've applied to at all five of my choices. It might be worth checking whether maths is a prerequisite for computer science at your university, because it certainly was everywhere I've looked.
Reply 4
I'm in year 14 currently but I've been doing a lot of research into computer science because that's the course I've applied to at all five of my choices. It might be worth checking whether maths is a prerequisite for computer science at your university, because it certainly was everywhere I've looked.

I too have been looking into Comp Sci (not to study). And I have been told that Computing is much more practical than Comp sci. Where as Comp Sci on the other hand is more theoretical. So computing might appeal to me more. However, I do know for a fact that all Computing degrees share the first year. Where they are taught how to program and relevant mathematics. However, the Universities I am looking at (Kent, Brunel, UEA, Bournemouth) only require a C grade and GCSE Mathematics.
PS
Computer science degrees at those universities all require A-level Mathemaitcs. What Universities are you looking at?
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh, that's odd, because all the places I know about only offer computing OR computer science, and they're actually the same course under different names. I'm applying to Cambridge, York, Bath, Exeter and Sussex but I know Imperial calls its CS course Computing. They all require A level maths. I haven't seen any unis that offer a computing degree as something separate to CS, but if you're saying your choices do then I'll gladly eat my words :P
Reply 6
Oh, that's odd, because all the places I know about only offer computing OR computer science, and they're actually the same course under different names. I'm applying to Cambridge, York, Bath, Exeter and Sussex but I know Imperial calls its CS course Computing. They all require A level maths. I haven't seen any unis that offer a computing degree as something separate to CS, but if you're saying your choices do then I'll gladly eat my words :P

There are so many variations of Technology/COmputing degrees, each differ in little ways, I get confused. Some Universities call their Information Technology courses Computing. Do you know many languages? I ought to start learning Java soon as most universities teach Java.
I only know Java and VB, universities tend to assume no prior knowledge but it's always nice to have a bit of a head start.
Reply 8
Yo! Similiar situation! What subject within Computing or IT?! I've decided against CS becuase of the maths involves (even though I got a good GCSE grade and am taking it at A Level). However, UCAS were very helpful, I searched 'information technology' and even though that's not what you might want to do, everything and anything related to it came up, now toooooo much choice!!! There's a really interesting course in 'Computing and Information Technology' at belfast - which I think sounds amazing, what sorts of courses have you been looking at and where? and what are your subjects?

Quick Reply