The Student Room Group

Clinical Vignette thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A few more questions abut this pneumonia? Symptoms? Duration? Did the antibiotics help?

Urine dip, Chest xray?

small cell lung tumour secreting ACTH?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by My-My-My
Chest xray?

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Chest X-ray:
Your chest x-ray comes back and you notice that at the point he is complaining of pain, there is a well defined osteolytic lesion on the rib itself.

Urine Dipstick:
Nitrates -ve
Blood -ve
Protein +ve
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by shiggydiggy

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Clinically, he seems a pale with near-white conjunctiva.

FBC Results:
Hb: 84g/L
MCV: 82fL
Platelets: 128x10^9/L
WCC: 3.4x10^9/L

Results to your additional requests (which may spoiler)

Spoiler

I thought about a certain diagnosis within the first post :p:
I would give this person lots of fluid as that will help bring the Ca down and also beneficial for his beleaguered kidney.
Pamidronate - and with my senior's permission give him pulse dexamethasone - 40mg hydrocortisone for 4 days.
Also a potential for Calcitonin.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Kinkerz

Spoiler

Original post by Philosoraptor
I thought about a certain diagnosis within the first post :p:
I would give this person lots of fluid as that will help bring the Ca down and also beneficial for his beleaguered kidney.
Pamidronate - and with my senior's permission give him pulse dexamethasone - 40mg hydrocortisone for 4 days.
Also a potential for Calcitonin.

Yep - this chap is a sure candidate for fluids to bring his calcium down. He may also need diuretics to encourage ca loss (although I'm not sure about this when in the context of acute kidney injury - maybe someone could clarify) as well as pamidronate. Haemodialysis may be on the cards as a last resort.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Ok, to continue the scenario:

Spoiler

Reply 26
Ok, to continue the scenario:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 27
Original post by Kinkerz
Possibly premature:

Spoiler

Does he have any signs of anaemia when you examine him? Even if he doesn't, should do a FBC.

Add 'I' to the mnemonic for infections
Reply 28
Original post by Kinkerz

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hmm, ok. Let me think of another case but, to other posters, feel free to continue with VM.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by pgreg1
Add 'I' to the mnemonic for infections

Yeah, I tried to contrive it but it doesn't ring as nicely.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hmm, ok. Let me think of another case but, to other posters, feel free to continue with VM.

Cool case.
Reply 30
Next case: You're bleeped to the ward to see LA, a 33yr woman because she has been 'mewsing' and is becoming unresponsive. She had a bowel resection for her longstanding Crohns disease 4 days ago. You ask the nurse to repeat the obs as you head over to the ward.

On general inspection, she appears drowsy but is responding with vague noises to you. She doesn't appear pale or clammy but has signs of peripheral cyanosis.

Her obs chart reads:
HR: 64, BP: 121/83, o2: 91 on R/A, RR: 8, T:37.5
(edited 10 years ago)
Next case: You're bleeped to the ward to see LA, a 33yr woman because she has been 'mewsing' and is becoming unresponsive. She had a bowel resection for her longstanding Crohns disease 4 days ago. You ask the nurse to repeat the obs as you head over to the ward.

On general inspection, she appears drowsy but is responding with vague noises to you. She doesn't appear pale or clammy but has signs of peripheral cyanosis.

Her obs chart reads:

First things first would do a proper ABCDE assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Mushi_master
First things first would do a proper ABCDE assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A: Patent at the moment but could become at risk if she continues to deteriorate. She probably wouldn't be too happy with an OPA at this stage and there are no strange sounds.

B: Slow & shallow, but with a central trachea and bilateral breath sounds. Equal chest expansion. Sats now read 90.

C: Normal rate/rhythm. BP is normal.

D: Pinpoint pupils.

E: Temperature is ok. Surgical site looks fine. Ileostomy in-situ with good output. NAD.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33

Her obs chart reads:

Is she on any opiates for pain?

If so, stop and consider naloxone? As an f1 I think I'd be calling for senior support

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
A: Patent at the moment but could become at risk if she continues to deteriorate. She probably wouldn't be too happy with an OPA at this stage and there are no strange sounds.

B: Slow & shallow, but with a central trachea and bilateral breath sounds. Equal chest expansion. Sats now read 90.

E: Temperature is ok. Surgical site looks fine. Ileostomy in-situ with good output. NAD.

Spoiler

B: Slow, but with a central trachea and bilateral breath sounds. Normal chest expansion.

She needs some oxygen, probably with a non-rebreathe mask at 15L flow, plus an ABG. 2 large bore cannulae, take some bloods (FBC, U+Es, LFTs, CRP, coag screen) and get some fluids going slowly (keep the lines open), get an ECG. Also would like a BM.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by My-My-My
Is she on any opiates for pain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You look at her kardex and see that she's on regular codeine, MST and has recently been written up for PRN oramorph.

Original post by Helenia

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 37
She needs some oxygen, probably with a non-rebreathe mask at 15L flow, plus an ABG. 2 large bore cannulae, take some bloods (FBC, U+Es, LFTs, CRP, coag screen) and get some fluids going slowly (keep the lines open), get an ECG. Also would like a BM.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smashed it. Easy.
Original post by Helenia

Spoiler

I don't think that this counts as revision for the critical incident station/viva.

Back to it.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does she need 2xwide-bore cannulae, full bloods, fluids, ECG? I agree that that's all pretty standard for an unwell patient, but all other obs are ok and the diagnosis is immediately obvious. The management here is oxygen and naloxone, (and review opioid requirements) nothing more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending