Reason and Experience - Empiricism

Watch
Choco_Angel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the view that all ideas are derived from sense experience?
xvFIRESTORMvx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Choco_Angel)
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the view that all ideas are derived from sense experience?
Some weaknesses would be things like the fact that we can comprehend without any empirical evidence, like the fact that 2+2=4 and will always equal 4.

Sense experience isn't always nessecary to understand certain things and it can also be misleading at times, for example if you closed your eyes and I put your hand under some cold running water, then into a bowl of lukewarm water, you would say that the water in the bowl is quite warm or even hot, but any other person would say that the water in the bowl is just lukewarm.
Lialore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
These are just some quick notes. I'm only mentioning things briefly so you'll have to look into them some more if you aren't already familiar. I just scanned through my AS notes. Seems like I have, er, pretty much no strengths that I found convincing enough to include in my final notes. I'm a rationalist. You can still get full marks for arguing only against empiricism.

Strengths:
- It's impossible to think of a completely original idea. (The Golden Mountain)

Leibniz, though a rationalist and a believer in innate ideas, allows that experience is necessary but not sufficient to produce understanding.

Weaknesses:
- Strong arguments for innate ideas; logic, infants ability to learn (language)...
- Descartes' 'Chiliagon'. We can think in ways that empiricism cannot. We can imagine a 1000 sided shape, and a 1001 sided shape, and although the image we imagine is imprecise and no different from the 1000 sided shape, our ideas of the two polygons are clear and distinct. They are not images, our concept of the two shapes outstrip anything you could have experienced.
- Hume accepts that he can think of a 'Missing Shade of Blue' without ever experiencing it
- Descartes' Wax: when wax melts it completely changes empirically, but out mind observes that it still remains the same substance.
- Hume's problem. "A bundle of sensations" - The Problem of Intentionality. And Daniel Dennet's sentence "My uncle fired his lawyer yesterday" holds no empirical value to it, but we still understand it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed