The Student Room Group

Homeless student?

Hello,

A friend of mine has been kicked out of her home by her mum- she's due to start uni next year; does anybody know what the financial implications of this would be or know anything about any help she may be entitle to?

Thanks in advance
Original post by RFJ
Hello,

A friend of mine has been kicked out of her home by her mum- she's due to start uni next year; does anybody know what the financial implications of this would be or know anything about any help she may be entitle to?

Thanks in advance

The funding body where she lives (SFE if England, SAAS if Scotland) will provide her with a student loan to help cover her living costs.
Reply 2
She might be able to apply as independent student if she can prove she's estranged.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
She might be able to apply as independent student if she can prove she's estranged.

I'm sure she can, do you know anything else about being an independent student or where I might find out more about it?
I was kicked out of my house 1 year before uni and I found it very difficult to prove that I'm estranged. How old is she? If she can somehow go into foster care that will definitely make it much easier for her. I stupidly went to an over 18 place even though I was 17 (they made an exception for me) and so SFE didn't treat me as someone who's been "living in care".

To be considered an "independent student" you have to have lived on your own for at least 3 years before applying to uni, or left care, or prove estrangement. Proving estrangement is really difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by Dragonfly07
I was kicked out of my house 1 year before uni and I found it very difficult to prove that I'm estranged. How old is she? If she can somehow go into foster care that will definitely make it much easier for her. I stupidly went to an over 18 place even though I was 17 (they made an exception for me) and so SFE didn't treat me as someone who's been "living in care".

To be considered an "independent student" you have to have lived on your own for at least 3 years before applying to uni, or left care, or prove estrangement. Proving estrangement is really difficult.

Sorry to hear about that. We're in our last year of college, she's eighteen. Why do they make it so difficult when people are in hard enough situations as it is?
Original post by RFJ
Sorry to hear about that. We're in our last year of college, she's eighteen. Why do they make it so difficult when people are in hard enough situations as it is?

Because they say lots of people lie about it. I gave them proof that I went to a refuge in that year but they say it wasn't enough because it was a year ago and I had to prove that I was still estranged NOW.
Original post by RFJ
I'm sure she can, do you know anything else about being an independent student or where I might find out more about it?

She will have to prove estrangement, not independence. They are not the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending