The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston University - 2014 Entry

I apologise in advance if someone has already created an Aston uni thread for 2014 but I haven't seen one haha.

I went to the open day yesterday (19th October) and seriously, I loved it. It seems like a really friendly place with great facilities/accommodation. More importantly though the subject I want to study (Law) sounds so interesting and the talk one of the lecturers did was fab. I need an AAB or 340 tariff points for LLB Law and I feel motivated to achieve that. At AS I got BC Merit and aim to get AB D* in A2.

Who else has applied or is applying to Aston? :tongue:

---
Connect to Aston here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've applied to Aston for their Finance Course, with AAB at AS, going for A*AA at A2, havent been but judging by their graduate prospects it looks really promising. Although never been to birmingham, but i live in London so shouldn't be too different.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I've applied to Aston for their Finance Course, with AAB at AS, going for A*AA at A2, havent been but judging by their graduate prospects it looks really promising. Although never been to birmingham, but i live in London so shouldn't be too different.

They're great grades!:biggrin: what grades do you need to be accepted? I didn't see a lot of Birmingham but on the tour it gave you a good feel for the city.
Original post by laughalot_x
They're great grades!:biggrin: what grades do you need to be accepted? I didn't see a lot of Birmingham but on the tour it gave you a good feel for the city.

AAB I think, I'm not quite sure. I've applied to Exeter, Loughborough, ifs University College & Kent, Kent and ifs are the only one's i've visited though. How's the costs of living in Birmingham is it relatively cheap did you find out?
Hello all,

We're delighted to read of your interest in coming to Aston University. We are here if you have any questions regarding applying, the programmes we offer or anything concerning living in Birmingham/Aston. Feel free to post in our 'Official Representative' thread.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
AAB I think, I'm not quite sure. I've applied to Exeter, Loughborough, ifs University College & Kent, Kent and ifs are the only one's i've visited though. How's the costs of living in Birmingham is it relatively cheap did you find out?

Hi. I'd say that living in Birmingham is relatively cheap, unless you wanna live in halls, it's crazy expensive. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by shutthedoor
Hi. I'd say that living in Birmingham is relatively cheap, unless you wanna live in halls, it's crazy expensive. :biggrin:

My parents were slightly bugged out by the price of the halls but hopefully I'll only live there in my first year :smile:
My parents were slightly bugged out by the price of the halls but hopefully I'll only live there in my first year :smile:

It is bugging indeed. I'd at least expect normal size rooms and bathrooms for such price :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Halls are pretty expensive, yeah. However, even though they are really expensive weekly, the contract is for fewer weeks than the other accommodation. Overall, it still ends up a couple of hundred more expensive than the cheapest all-inclusive accommodation but it's not that bad compared to a lot of places... unless you want to stay for longer than the 39 weeks.

It's true for this year, at least. I confess I'm not too sure about next year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheOriginalAng
Halls are pretty expensive, yeah. However, even though they are really expensive weekly, the contract is for fewer weeks than the other accommodation. Overall, it still ends up a couple of hundred more expensive than the cheapest all-inclusive accommodation but it's not that bad compared to a lot of places... unless you want to stay for longer than the 39 weeks.

It's true for this year, at least. I confess I'm not too sure about next year.

They gave us a list of the accommodation with the prices but I can't remember them lol. And it's for the same 39 weeks which I think is decent.
Which accommodation did you live in? :tongue:
They gave us a list of the accommodation with the prices but I can't remember them lol. And it's for the same 39 weeks which I think is decent.
Which accommodation did you live in? :tongue:

New Build - 7 bedroom. Lived in Cosmopolitan (now renamed Sanctuary) in my second year though and I have friends all over so I know most of the major places lol.

Yeah, most contracts are for 45 weeks. If memory serves and the prices haven't changed, the cheapest all-inclusive place around here is the Heights at £99 for 45 weeks, working out at £4,455. Lakeside is the cheapest on campus accommodation, working out at just over £4,700 for the 39 weeks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
New Build - 7 bedroom. Lived in Cosmopolitan (now renamed Sanctuary) in my second year though and I have friends all over so I know most of the major places lol.

Yeah, most contracts are for 45 weeks. If memory serves and the prices haven't changed, the cheapest all-inclusive place around here is the Heights at £99 for 45 weeks, working out at £4,455. Lakeside is the cheapest on campus accommodation, working out at just over £4,700 for the 39 weeks.

Did you like your accommodation then? I was reading about Lakeside and it gave the impression you have to pay for the internet and you don't in the New Build -5/7 bedrooms? (I could be completely wrong lol)
Did you like your accommodation then? I was reading about Lakeside and it gave the impression you have to pay for the internet and you don't in the New Build -5/7 bedrooms? (I could be completely wrong lol)

I like it here, yeah. It's really good for first year lol.

You have to pay £10 for the internet here, that gets you 25Mb but there's a premium service. I think it's £40 for 40Mb. I've no idea why you'd need that though.

I assume that it's the same for 5-bedroom flats and lakeside but I'll ask a couple of friends to confirm that

Edit: Lakeside's cost is the same as the 7-room New Build, I can't imagine the 5-room would be different
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
I like it here, yeah. It's really good for first year lol.

You have to pay £10 for the internet here, that gets you 25Mb but there's a premium service. I think it's £40 for 40Mb. I've no idea why you'd need that though.

I assume that it's the same for 5-bedroom flats and lakeside but I'll ask a couple of friends to confirm that

Edit: Lakeside's cost is the same as the 7-room New Build, I can't imagine the 5-room would be different

Okay thanks:tongue:
It's a shame Lakeside wasn't able for viewing on Saturday but the 5 bedroom accommodation looked nice enough. What are you studying?
Yeah, the 5-bedroom ones are pretty nice lol

Chemical Engineering, in my 3rd year now, so it's pretty different to law :tongue:
Reply 15
I feel like you have to be good at science to do that which I'm terrible at hehe
I feel like you have to be good at science to do that which I'm terrible at hehe

It helps lol. That being said, I'd be awful at law :tongue:

Also, I didn't realise I didn't quote you before, my bad :tongue:
Reply 17
It helps lol. That being said, I'd be awful at law :tongue:

Also, I didn't realise I didn't quote you before, my bad :tongue:

Oh it's fine! :biggrin:

So where are from then? Birmingham or a different city/town?
Oh it's fine! :biggrin:

So where are from then? Birmingham or a different city/town?

Kingston, if you've heard of it. It's quite near Wimbledon. Yourself?
Reply 19
Kingston, if you've heard of it. It's quite near Wimbledon. Yourself?

I have Kingston University as one of my choices:biggrin:
Huddersfield, it's in West Yorkshire

Quick Reply