The Student Room Group

Which organelle is responsible for the syntheis of enzymes?

I know that the ribosomes are involved in protein synthesis, and that proteins makes enzymes. But in the textbook it says that the Golgi produced secretory enzymes such as those secreted by the pancreas. My question is do the Golgi produce all enzymes??
Reply 1
Rough endoplasmic reticulum and ribosomes produce enzymes.
Reply 2
Original post by Shannonscott96
I know that the ribosomes are involved in protein synthesis, and that proteins makes enzymes. But in the textbook it says that the Golgi produced secretory enzymes such as those secreted by the pancreas. My question is do the Golgi produce all enzymes??

It's not so much "proteins make enzymes" more proteins are enzymes (obviously not all proteins are enzymes but all enzymes are proteins). Proteins are made by ribosomes (through the use of RNA - but not sure if you need to know that, if you don't, forget I said it!). However proteins are then transported to the Golgi where they are modified. That is to say this is where phosphorylation and addition of sugars etc. takes place. To answer your question the pancreas is made up of cells so will have both ribosomes and Golgi and so together they do produce all the enzymes, which are then secreted from their specific cells, in this case pancreatic cells.
Reply 3
Original post by IonicBond1
It's not so much "proteins make enzymes" more proteins are enzymes (obviously not all proteins are enzymes but all enzymes are proteins). Proteins are made by ribosomes (through the use of RNA - but not sure if you need to know that, if you don't, forget I said it!). However proteins are then transported to the Golgi where they are modified. That is to say this is where phosphorylation and addition of sugars etc. takes place. To answer your question the pancreas is made up of cells so will have both ribosomes and Golgi and so together they do produce all the enzymes, which are then secreted from their specific cells, in this case pancreatic cells.

Actually some enzymes are RNAs (e.g. ribosomal RNA catalyzes peptide bond formation)
Reply 4
Original post by Asklepios
Actually some enzymes are RNAs (e.g. ribosomal RNA catalyzes peptide bond formation)

My apologies I wasn't aware people wanted me to be that particular :smile: you are right, however it is the exception rather than the rule and for A level I didn't need to know that, so I didn't want to confuse! However thank you for the correction :smile:
Original post by Shannonscott96

Enzymes are proteins, and ribosomes synthesise proteins, so ribosomes synthesise enzymes.
Starts in the nucleus with mRNA which "tells" ribosomes to synthesise proteins, these proteins then get modified to enzymes, they are usually then pinched off the golgi body in a lysosome so they don't react with the cell. Nothing "makes" proteins, rather it is a process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending