The Student Room Group

2014 Applicants - Mathematics and Economics

Hey! Is anyone out there applying for this course? And at which university? :smile:
Reply 1
Me :smile:
lse
warwick
durham
nottingham
leeds
Reply 2
That's great! I was also considering LSE, Durham and Leeds, but it's not for sure. Would you like to keep in touch? After all, there might be a chance for us to be classmates. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by rhody95
That's great! I was also considering LSE, Durham and Leeds, but it's not for sure. Would you like to keep in touch? After all, there might be a chance for us to be classmates. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! Have you sent off your UCAS application?
Sure I think we should keep in touch! It seems not many people here are applying this course.
Reply 4
Not yet, maybe this weekend. Have you applied for the course? I'll pm you my email so we can talk more. Yeah, you are right, maths and econs isn't a popular subject among students...Anyway, I love the combination of these two. Are you from England?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by rhody95
Not yet, maybe this weekend. Have you applied for the course? I'll pm you my email so we can talk more. Yeah, you are right, maths and econs isn't a popular subject among students...Anyway, I love the combination of these two. Are you from England?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I have sent my UCAS on 14th. Same here I love the combination of the two subjects :smile: I think economics in uni requires lots of maths and I heard that many students doing straight econ don't do well in their maths exam.. I wish this course could strength my knowledge for both fields! :smile:
No I'm from Hong Kong. How about you?
Reply 6
Yeah, they do have a lot in common. Glad to know someone else shares my view. :smile: I'm from Romania. Btw, do you have A Levels in Hong Kong?
Reply 7
Original post by rhody95
Yeah, they do have a lot in common. Glad to know someone else shares my view. :smile: I'm from Romania. Btw, do you have A Levels in Hong Kong?

No I do A Levels im England:smile: how about you?
Reply 8
The education system is different in my country. We sit for the Romanian Baccalaureate which consists in 3 exams on different subjects. Which city are you from? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Applied for econ and maths at leeds and pure econ everywhere else. Sent my application on the 15th, hoping i get an offer soon :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Leeds is one of my choices too. I sent my application last week and already received an offer from Glasgow. I'm very excited about it. :biggrin: What about you guys, any luck? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by rhody95
Leeds is one of my choices too. I sent my application last week and already received an offer from Glasgow. I'm very excited about it. :biggrin: What about you guys, any luck? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats! got an offer from nottingham :smile:
Leeds maths department is working slow!
Reply 12
Congratulations! :biggrin: I wonder how much time they need to look over an application. I'm becoming a little impatient. LSE said it'll take them about 2 weeks to verify my app. Good luck with the other unis! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by rhody95
Congratulations! :biggrin: I wonder how much time they need to look over an application. I'm becoming a little impatient. LSE said it'll take them about 2 weeks to verify my app. Good luck with the other unis! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I've got Leeds, Nottingham and Durham, still waiting for LSE and Warwick. Have you heard from any other uni yet??
Reply 14
That's great! Congratulations!!! :biggrin: Not yet, I'm still waiting for responses from LSE, York, Bristol, Leeds. Good luck with the others! :biggrin: I'll let you know as soon as I get any offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by rhody95
That's great! Congratulations!!! :biggrin: Not yet, I'm still waiting for responses from LSE, York, Bristol, Leeds. Good luck with the others! :biggrin: I'll let you know as soon as I get any offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck :smile: I am sure you will hear back soon
Reply 16
Original post by marthawyt
Good luck :smile: I am sure you will hear back soon

How is your application going? Have you received all the decisions? :smile:
Hey guys I really need some advice, I would be so grateful;

Mathematics with Economics (BSc) at LSE - 3Years or Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics at Warwick (MSc) - 4Years

LSE are asking for *AA, Warwick are also asking for *AA, but will reduce it to AAA if a 2 is achieved in STEP 1. I am very confused as to which one I should choose as my firm. My insurance is going to be Southampton, who are asking for AAB. Please can anyone help with the employability of the different courses, which is better for finance/investment banking/ actuarial sciences? Which is better for Social life? Which is a better course, which one is harder? etc. just anything to help make my decision please!

My other offers are from:
Bath - Mathematical Sciences - with placement year *AA
Bristol - Economics and Maths - *AA
Would either of these be better for a career into finance?

Thanks in advance guys

Quick Reply

Latest