The Student Room Group

Would someone having a condition bother you?

I know that some people will know that I have Asperger's already but after the last week or so, on another thread I made, it's made me wonder if a friend or someone you know told you that they had something (Asperger's, Bi Polar, Multiple Sclerosis etc) would it bother you? Would you still accept them for being them)

I know a lot will but there is always a certain few that will treat you differently.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If she's particularly attractive, it likely wouldn't bother me. See the Halo Effect.
Reply 2
Original post by aranexus
If she's particularly attractive, it likely wouldn't bother me. See the Halo Effect.

And if she wasn't???

More to an individual then looks
Reply 3
Depends what it is. If it's someone who would require from me, then no.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
Depends what it is. If it's someone who would require from me, then no.

Fair enough
My best friend has an anxiety disorder. She's awesome and I wouldn't change her for anything.
If I like someone, I like them. I couldn't see myself being put off because they have a condition that they can't help having :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lucy96
If I like someone, I like them. I couldn't see myself being put off because they have a condition that they can't help having :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the point, they can't help it!!! yet some people will still turn their backs on them
Reply 8
Original post by desdemonata
My best friend has an anxiety disorder. She's awesome and I wouldn't change her for anything.

That's awesome :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Mrx123
That's the point, they can't help it!!! yet some people will still turn their backs on them

A relative found this. She has Bipolar and some "friends" of hers decided not to be friends with her after she told them. Just shows who your true friends are.
Original post by desdemonata

So if you could get rid of her anxiety disorder but her character remained the same you wouldn't change it? Or were you speaking figuratively?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarryJames
So if you could get rid of her anxiety disorder but her character remained the same you wouldn't change it? Or were you speaking figuratively?

No. It's a part of her, and she's much better now than when I met her. We helped each other, as it were. We wouldn't have such a strong bond otherwise, seeing as I have anxiety problems too.
Original post by Mrx123

Exactly, very unfair :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
The girl I'm starting to see has anxiety and depression. It doesn't put me off in the slightest.
If it was someone I already knew and liked, then any mental condition they told me they had wouldn't change what they were, I'd just see it as a label. I've never gotten along with anyone who had aspergers before though.
Reply 15
Original post by Dragonfly07
If it was someone I already knew and liked, then any mental condition they told me they had wouldn't change what they were, I'd just see it as a label. I've never gotten along with anyone who had aspergers before though.

first time for everything
Reply 16
Original post by Lucy96
Exactly, very unfair :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :frown:
my boyfriend has alepicia so no :cool:
It's just part of them, and they can't help it any more than I can help what I have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrx123
I know that some people will know that I have Asperger's already but after the last week or so, on another thread I made, it's made me wonder if a friend or someone you know told you that they had something (Asperger's, Bi Polar, Multiple Sclerosis etc) would it bother you? Would you still accept them for being them)

I know a lot will but there is always a certain few that will treat you differently.

I would open my heart up to them.I know what struggles they have.I have MS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending