The Student Room Group

KCL vs UCL vs Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Hi, i'd like to weigh in on this seeing as there is some KCL bashing above. I've graduated from Mathematics at KCL very recently so I'll give you a low-down on what the real situation is. (A-level/1st year undergrads aren't the best source for information! They go a bit gaga over entry requirements lol)

The mathematics department is excellent. We're part of the London School of Geometry and Number Theory run by Imperial, KCL and UCL - this is for phd/mphil training in mathematics.

For undergraduate: The course isn't 'slow' as someone above mentioned. I have to say the difficultly at UCL and KCL is the same if not harder at KCL because of the options in third year where you can truly challenge yourself. By the end of the first two years you'll have learnt the same. Just because our course is structured differently in the first two years doesn't make it slower. KCL offers a huge variety of modules in your third year. The difficultly really depends on the modules you choose.

Also, KCL have beaten UCL and LSE consistently over recent years at the London University Mathematics Olympiad.

The research is also exceptional. The department is now expanding with Mathematics with Statistics now available as a new course from Sept 2016.

With regards to Banking (Going to include this because I know someone will use this for KCL bashing), KCL is not a target by SOME investment banks. In recent years the 'elitist' vibe is changing. The outlook for KCL is becoming stronger and hence investment banks are way more receptive of KCL Mathematicians. Elitism from investment banks is used as a weapon by students at UCL who think they're going to get in just because they go to UCL. Trust me when I say this, its more complicated than that :smile:.

The difficulty of the course isn't greater at UCL. They have inflated entry requirements for the level they teach at to be perfectly honest.

I agree that UCL currently has a better reputation overall. However this is changing. KCL's mathematics department is on the up.
And a message to UCL Mathematicians, we're are coming for you, and trust me when I say this we're so close that we can smell your fear :smile:

Also, the reason I didnt mention Edinburgh is because KCL>Edinburgh for Mathematics. Edinburgh is still excellent!

Just wanted to give you a clearer view of KCL.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest