The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of sixth form?

I'm in my first year of sixth form, and I hate it so much. I want to drop out but i don't want to regret my decision whatever I decide to do, and I don't know what I want to do.
By law I have to stay in full time education or have an apprenticeship or training until at least the end of the academic year in which I turn 17. I am already 17, so could technically leave after this academic year.
But basically, should I drop out of sixth form?

Thanks,
Laura

Scroll to see replies

You need to have a plan. Drop out and then do what?

If your answer is "don't know" or "sit around at home watching tv" then stay in education until you figure something out. Without a plan the opportunity cost of dropping out is too great and you should stick with it since it is the best option available to you.
Original post by Tokyoround

If your answer is "don't know" or "sit around at home watching tv" then stay in education until you figure something out. Without a plan the opportunity cost of dropping out is too great and you should stick with it since it is the best option available to you.

Completely and utterly agree. It will never be as easy again to gain qualifications which will last throughout your whole life. Try looking in the mature students forum to get an idea of the uphill task people face when they realise the dead end life they are trapped in cannot be escaped from without qualifications.
Original post by Laura45
I'm in my first year of sixth form, and I hate it so much. I want to drop out but i don't want to regret my decision whatever I decide to do, and I don't know what I want to do.
By law I have to stay in full time education or have an apprenticeship or training until at least the end of the academic year in which I turn 17. I am already 17, so could technically leave after this academic year.

Thanks,
Laura

You need to decide what is best for you at this current time. Firstly do you have any friedns or relatives that you trust and can talk about this, as they know you well they can offer you good advice on what you should do and how they will support you. What subjects are you doing? Are these the ones that you got high grades at GCSE in, do you like them? Are you able to change subjects or has it become too late for that? Do you want to take a gap year and come back next year with a fresh mind? How did you GCSE's go? Do you want to go to university? What do you want to study? Are you in the same sixth form that you went to school in or is it a new environemnt? If you drop out this year and decide next year that you made a mistake you may have to go to college and that would be a big change where you wouldn't know anyone. Can you talk to teachers or your head of sixth form? Are there career advisors or mentos in your school that you could talk to? These are all the questions that you should be asking yourself and trying to answer. This is how you will find out the best thing you can do. Good luck.
Completely agree with Tokyoround. Don't drop out unless you have something else to walk in to. Employers often ask about gaps in education or unemployment. It would be far better to tell them 'I dropped out of sixth form to begin an apprenticeship' than 'I dropped out of sixth form because I didn't like it'. Look at other options before you make a final decision.
Reply 5
Original post by Laura45

Thanks,
Laura

Hello Laura,

I know exactly how you are feeling, I am now in year 13 and for the whole of year 12 I absolutely hated it, I still do. However, you have to bear in mind that sixth form is not for everyone. I persevered through year 12 and I had an A and three B's when I was failing in tests in class. I would write a positive and negative list of staying in sixth form and finding alternatives such as apprenticeships. I personally would not drop out of sixth form, but at the end of the day you need to do what makes you happy and know that you can only do your best!

All the best,

Amelia :smile:
Reply 6
Do you have any career aspirations?
If so, then work towards that, what is it you need? Qualifications? Experience?
Original post by Laura45

Thanks,
Laura

Before dropping out- sort out what you want to do.
Carry on with 6th form until you find something else. In the meantime, look around for college courses that may interest you, and start applying for next september. Or look for apprenticeships that may interest you and apply for those.
Original post by Tokyoround

This... also an apprenticeship where you are not guaranteed a work placement is a bad idea.
I am having the same problem as well.i hate my classes and I hate the process of school.what I want to know is can I drop out now and if I can what would be the process with the 6th form
Reply 10
Just do it, everyone here is saying how you need to get qualifications etc, just f*&^ing do it, seriously, you're young, you don't have the time to be worrying or not enjoying yourself, I dropped out and I couldn't have asked for a better life. Do what your instinct tells you to, not what everyone else advises.
Oi safe I ****in hate 6th form too it's ****
Damn whys this been brought back?
Dont drop. You will probably regret it.
Why do you hate sixth form so much?
Is it the subjects? Teachers? Friends ?
You have yo first find what is making you upset.
I’m 16 it’s my first year in 6 form and it’s not for me. I only joined because I didn’t know what I wanted to do and it seemed like the easiest option. However it’s making me feel ill. Not because it’s hard because it’s not what I want to do
Reply 15
Original post by Littlebethany2
I’m 16 it’s my first year in 6 form and it’s not for me. I only joined because I didn’t know what I wanted to do and it seemed like the easiest option. However it’s making me feel ill. Not because it’s hard because it’s not what I want to do

I'm in the same position. Originally I thought I hated it so much because I was only doing 1/3 of the subjects I wanted or because I was struggling with sociology to a point where I was literally throwing up, long story short I ended up dropping sociology, however, I still utterly hate sixth form and don't think it's for me at all. I think what's best for us is to stick it out for the first year to get at least some kind of qualification and then start fresh in September. If anyone tries to tell you to stay because it's "better long-term" ignore them, do what feels right for you now, especially if it's so bad that it's making you ill.
Reply 16
Spot on. I'm Y13, I wish I'd dropped out.
A Levels truly aren't everything, provided you have a plan for when you leave.
I know someone who's an estate agent at 17 years old. Also a girl with a degree apprenticeship with Superdry. Another 17 year old in an accounting apprenticeship. My best friend, who was 16 at the time, landed himself a law apprenticeship at £24,000 per year.

A Levels are mostly just the stepping stone to University. And even then, university degrees are worth next to nothing unless they're STEM.

Look up Jordan Peterson's 42 Rules for Life.
Rule 2 - Don't do things you hate.
Take that seriously. It's harmful for your mental health, and limits your personal growth. Have a plan, know what you want to do, and chase that dream.

Because I know of a lot of people who are unable to invest due to outstanding student debt. And others who can't make a significant career change since they can't afford it. Or those who have ended up in a job that they could've started without a 4 year worthless degree.

If you want to leave, you can. In fact nowadays, it may even be better to an extent. BUT you must have a plan, and stay driven to stay on that path.
Original post by evez23
I'm in the same position. Originally I thought I hated it so much because I was only doing 1/3 of the subjects I wanted or because I was struggling with sociology to a point where I was literally throwing up, long story short I ended up dropping sociology, however, I still utterly hate sixth form and don't think it's for me at all. I think what's best for us is to stick it out for the first year to get at least some kind of qualification and then start fresh in September. If anyone tries to tell you to stay because it's "better long-term" ignore them, do what feels right for you now, especially if it's so bad that it's making you ill.
Honestly, this is the exact position I was in last year. I only went to college because my secondary school only ever talked about that option, not the apprenticeships you could do, or the other training courses that were available. I decided I would stick it out until Christmas, and if I still wanted to leave, I would. So I had made my mind up by the beginning of Jan that I was going to leave and get an apprenticeship. I would recommend staying at college until you are certain you have something else to go to. I got offered the Job on Thursday and Monday was my first day. Personally, I feel like this was the best thing I could have done. I have a level 2 qualification in Business Admin, a year and a halves worth of experience in a marketing company, improved confidence and maturity and I am currently working towards a level 3 qualification in Customer Service which is equivalent to 2 A levels. Win Win really. Oh and the money aspect is a bonus too!
Original post by Littlebethany2
Same and now I don’t know what to do
Me too it’s stressful and I know I can do better with a job gaining experience for something else. It seems like nowadays jobs prefer experience over education. 9 times out of 10 they will chose someone with 3-4 years of experience than a new comer. Life isn’t 100% about education. If your not happy doing something and it’s stressing you tf out then find something that’ll make you happy. Drop out and have no regrets. There’s no point crying over the past. Take it on the chin and it’ll either be the best or worst decision you made but that depends on what YOU make it. As long as you have faith in yourself no one can touch you. Good luck to you all in life and hopefully you are all happy.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending