This discussion is closed.
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Laura45)
I'm in my first year of sixth form, and I hate it so much. I want to drop out but i don't want to regret my decision whatever I decide to do, and I don't know what I want to do.
By law I have to stay in full time education or have an apprenticeship or training until at least the end of the academic year in which I turn 17. I am already 17, so could technically leave after this academic year.
But basically, should I drop out of sixth form?

Thanks,
Laura
Hi Laura,

Hoping I can offer some help.

You need to be in some form of education until your 18th birthday but you do have a choice on what this looks like and it doesn't necessarily mean full time education.

It would be great if I could get to know a little more about your situation so I can offer advice, if you you're happy to get back me it would be great to know the answers to the following...

- what do hate about sixth form?
- do you know what career you would like to do in the future?
- have you looked into other options like other courses or apprenticeships?

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks - Sophie.
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi Laura,

Hoping I can offer some help.

You need to be in some form of education until your 18th birthday but you do have a choice on what this looks like and it doesn't necessarily mean full time education.

It would be great if I could get to know a little more about your situation so I can offer advice, if you you're happy to get back me it would be great to know the answers to the following...

- what do hate about sixth form?
- do you know what career you would like to do in the future?
- have you looked into other options like other courses or apprenticeships?

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks - Sophie.
post is 6 years old mate
lilzabo
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
What did you go on to do after dropping them? i’m considering it myself as it’s really ****ed w my mental health and this traditional route that they force us into is clearly not for me
alicesmithhx
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lilzabo)
What did you go on to do after dropping them? i’m considering it myself as it’s really ****ed w my mental health and this traditional route that they force us into is clearly not for me
same! my parents want me to stay but i’m soo unhappy with them. i want to move to my local college and start a diploma in health and social care but they think it’ll be a huge mistake
I really want to leave them though, mentally i can’t handle it ughhhh
Broady04
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hello everyone, I am at a sixth form college and I hate it. I joined to start anew and get a levels because everyone said it’s what you should do. I have a part time job now and I really love it (it’s in a drinks warehouse) and I think I want to do that as a job but my mum said I will be miserable and the pay won’t be great. I’ve looked at apprenticeships and I’m unsure about what route to take. Can someone pleaseTake the time to help me, I would really appreciate it
mylifex
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
same position, i’m a waitress but also in lower 6th in school. i hate it the pressure and stress and i’m a number in my school no one seems to recognise that me or any other students are there (teachers). i was looking at apprenticeships but i think it’s too late to start now and would have to be in the new year. my mum will literally kill me if i drop out though because it’s a brand new school which i prayed to get into for months and now i regret my decision ( only went to 6th form as i hadn’t any plans of what i wanted to actually do and took it as the easy route)
mylifex
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
same position, i’m a waitress but also in lower 6th in school. i hate it the pressure and stress and i’m a number in my school no one seems to recognise that me or any other students are there (teachers). i was looking at apprenticeships but i think it’s too late to start now and would have to be in the new year. my mum will literally kill me if i drop out though because it’s a brand new school which i prayed to get into for months and now i regret my decision ( only went to 6th form as i hadn’t any plans of what i wanted to actually do and took it as the easy route)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (33)
32.04%
Yes - a trusted person (24)
23.3%
No (31)
30.1%
I'm not sure (15)
14.56%

Watched Threads