The Student Room Group

Another American School Shooting

http://news.sky.com/story/1157681/nevada-school-shooting-pupil-kills-teacher

:frown:

You have to wonder when this sort of thing will start to come to an end. America is a truly backwards nation when it comes to gun laws.
Reply 1
Also, I wonder what sort of response this will get in the states. Probably something along the lines of " well if all the teachers an other pupils had guns to defend themselves, this would never have happened" :roll:
There is actually more homicide in states where there are tighter gun laws. I grew up there before moving here for school. It's got to the stage now where if you ban guns, then only the bad guys will have it. There are millions of people with guns who use them safely and keep them locked away. Including family I know over there.

There is also a powerful gun lobby who will ensure there will be no ban.

In some of these cases, the individual is deranged and the parents should be taking action-it's a failure on the part of the parents.
Reply 3
Original post by Col. Hans Landa
There is actually more homicide in states where there are tighter gun laws. I grew up there before moving here for school. It's got to the stage now where if you ban guns, then only the bad guys will have it. There are millions of people with guns who use them safely and keep them locked away. Including family I know over there.

There is also a powerful gun lobby who will ensure there will be no ban.

In some of these cases, the individual is deranged and the parents should be taking action-it's a failure on the part of the parents.

100% agree. Its the people that are messed up, not the guns. It is illegal for a child to own a gun anyways, so it was probably his parents gun. It is still tragic, but you cant blame the gun, only the person
Original post by matt_g96
100% agree. Its the people that are messed up, not the guns. It is illegal for a child to own a gun anyways, so it was probably his parents gun. It is still tragic, but you cant blame the gun, only the person

You can blame both quite easily.
Wow...how disgusting. When will it stop? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
This is crazy, how many more gun related deaths must there be for America to realise it's a terrible law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Gun laws will not change the fact that there will be guns.. A world without guns would be ideal, but the truth is that no matter what the criminals will not care about gun laws, and they will just smuggle weapons over from Mexico/Canada. Just because you make a law, guns will not just vanish. I see your point, and there should be laws... but they wont do anything to be honest
I have a few questions about the gun situation in America. Hopefully someone can shed some light on these because I have only done a small amount of research myself

- What has the US been doing about the issues of violence and homicide in their country in the past few years?

Overall homicide rater per 100,000 people
1993 - 9.93
2011 - 5.10

Rate of gun homicide per 100,000 people
1993 - 7.07
2011 - 3.60

- What has happened in the past ~20 years for these rates to pretty much half?

- Why has the rate of unintentional gun deaths halved as well?

- Why has this all been happening while the rate of gun ownership has been going up steadily? There has only been one temporary federal gun control act in this time frame which did not restrict much and was found by the US government to not be effective.

- Why is it people make out the situation to be getting worse?

- What is it about the AR15 style rifles people have such an issue with?

- Even if we pretended that some law had the power to prevent all gun homicides from being homicides the homicide rate of the USA would still be larger than the West European countries that the USA is often compared to. Why is that?

- What gun control law specifically will help the situation in America? Does anybody have a proposal for a law?
The uk has ever stricter gun controls yet it has more and more gun crime.
Reply 10
Original post by matt_g96
Gun laws will not change the fact that there will be guns.. A world without guns would be ideal, but the truth is that no matter what the criminals will not care about gun laws, and they will just smuggle weapons over from Mexico/Canada. Just because you make a law, guns will not just vanish. I see your point, and there should be laws... but they wont do anything to be honest

People probably said the same things when guns were banned in the UK, but now murders by guns are 0 times lower (per head of population in the USA).

Banning guns wouldn't stop criminals from getting their hands on them, but it would probably lower the chance of someone being able to go on a shooting spree just because they're pissed off with the world.
Reply 11
When will they finally get round to changing gun laws? Of course stricter laws would mean less shootings - in the UK our laws are far stricter and we have far less gun crime than the US proportionally - anyone else see a correlation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because only three people were shot during this incident, this is not classed as a mass shooting. There have been 291 mass shootings in the US this year (defined as four or more people shot in a single incident). Nearly one a day. But lots of guns make the US a safer place.

Every American should carry a gun and then nobody will get shot dead, more guns = fewer deaths. Simple really.

:rolleyes:

Original post by chinwindie
When will they finally get round to changing gun laws? Of course stricter laws would mean less shootings - in the UK our laws are far stricter and we have far less gun crime than the US proportionally - anyone else see a correlation?

Thing is, guns are so embedded into America now, or at least it seems that way from here, that I don't know what the solution is :confused:. Some genies can not be put back in the bottle.

I find it absolutely staggering with statistics like that, that some people actually want more guns or even want to defend guns, though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
America is not the only country that allows possession of guns, why do we always hear of mass shootings over there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by MatureStudent36
The uk has ever stricter gun controls yet it has more and more gun crime.

Really? Because according to this gangs are struggling to get hold of guns.
Original post by Aj12
Really? Because according to this gangs are struggling to get hold of guns.

An interesting read showing that we are having some control over stopping guns falling into the wrong hands.

uk-guns.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending