The Student Room Group

State vs Private School Curriculum

Hello, What are the difference between a state and private schools curriculum? What would a State Student do for his/her GCSEs vs a Private Students GCSEs? What would you expect to see on a State CV vs Private? Discuss?
Reply 1
Bumpppps
to be honest, I think nowadays you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between somebody going to an average state school and an average private school.
A private school student may have more opportunities, such as young enterprise, dofe, etc but these are also given in state schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Bump
In a typical private school you'd expect to see pupils taking International GCSEs (IGCSEs) in some subjects (most commonly maths and science) instead of GCSEs. You'd also expect that "soft" subjects such as media studies wouldn't be offered, but you'd still get some arts (at my school you can do GCSEs and A levels in art, drama, music and DT) although unlike many state schools most private schools wouldn't offer more than one type of DT. In private schools you'd also expect to see smaller class sizes, especially at GCSE and A level - as private schools have more money, they can afford to provide classes and opportunities in subjects there is little demand for - at my school only one person has to want to do a subject for A level for them to run the course, and there are two of us in year 12 considering applying for classics at uni and one person in year 13 who actually is but they're still running classics uni prep sessions for the three of us...feel free to ask me any more questions about a private school curriculum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
the lower school is better too. Year 8 and 9 aren't doss years in private schools, and you work really hard and learn latin, greek etc.
Reply 6
Original post by flopsybunnybell
In a typical private school you'd expect to see pupils taking International GCSEs (IGCSEs) in some subjects (most commonly maths and science) instead of GCSEs. You'd also expect that "soft" subjects such as media studies wouldn't be offered, but you'd still get some arts (at my school you can do GCSEs and A levels in art, drama, music and DT) although unlike many state schools most private schools wouldn't offer more than one type of DT. In private schools you'd also expect to see smaller class sizes, especially at GCSE and A level - as private schools have more money, they can afford to provide classes and opportunities in subjects there is little demand for - at my school only one person has to want to do a subject for A level for them to run the course, and there are two of us in year 12 considering applying for classics at uni and one person in year 13 who actually is but they're still running classics uni prep sessions for the three of us...feel free to ask me any more questions about a private school curriculum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

States increasingly use IGCSE English as the results are better, presumably due to Gove's preference for downward pressure on results, and their league table position consequently improves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending