The Student Room Group

integrals of cos and sin to a power?

which, in your own opinion, is the best way to integrate:

sinn(x)\sin^{n}(x) and cosn(x)\cos^{n}(x)

where 3<n<10 ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Use reduction. You can work out a general case and then sub in any x :smile:
Reply 2
Use reduction. You can work out a general case and then sub in any x :smile:

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_reduction_formulae

Original post by Hasufel

where 3<n<10 ?
Reply 3
There are many ways I can think of.

Firstly, there's the dirty trick using complex numbers... It is very straight forward once you know it. You use the fact that z+zˉ=2cosθz+\bar{z}= 2\cos\theta and zzˉ=2isinθz-\bar{z}= 2i\sin\theta, for z in the unit circle. Then you use de Moivre's theorem to transform powers of sines and cosines into sines and cosines of two, three and four theta.

There are other ways to work them out without complex numbers, though. My teacher once used a strange substitution, but I prefer using the inverse chain rule in magic ways. "Magic" because there are more ways you can imagine to use powers of trigonometric functions. Here's an example;

sin3xdx\int \sin^3x dx
sinxsin2xdx \int \sin x \sin^2x dx
sinx(1cos2x)dx\int \sin x ( 1 - \cos^2x) dx
sinxdx+sinxcos2xdx \int \sin x dx + \int -\sin x cos^2x dx
cosx+13cos3x+C- \cos x + \frac{1}{3} \cos^3 x + C

As you can see, you can transform sines into cosines easily, and, as sines and cosines are each other's derivatives and integrals, you can make unusual chain rules. The hardest one I solved was sin2xcos3xdx\int \sin^2x \cos^3 x dx, using f(x)=sin3x f(x) = \sin^3 x and g(x)=1x2/3g(x) = 1 - x^{2/3} , using g to transform in a very unethical way sine cube into cosine square.
Original post by Hasufel

where 3<n<10 ?

Probably the most straightforward way is use of the double angle formulae, for even powers and a combination of substitution and double angle identities for odd powers.
Ex. cos6x dx=(1sin2x)3 dx \int \cos^6 x\ dx=\int (1-\sin^2 x)^3\ dx Expand and use double angle identities again.
cos5x dx sub u=sinx to get cos4x du=(1u2)2 du \int \cos^5 x\ dx \mathrm{\ sub\ }u=\sin x \mathrm{\ to\ get\ }\int \cos^4 x\ du=\int (1-u^2)^2\ du

Quick Reply

Latest