The Student Room Group

Would you abort your baby if your found out they were disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No, not unless the baby was going to die or be severely disabled it would live in pain. I don't believe I have the right to say someone's life is worth less because it is disabled.

It is not about worth. It is about them being able to enjoy life with minimum suffering and maximum happiness.
I'm 13 weeks pregnant and thankfully my scan last week seemed fine, but if I was now to be told that my baby almost certainly had downs syndrome, I wouldn't be able to go through with abortion unless I knew it would have a lifetime of pain and no quality of life. I've become so attached to this baby, I'm almost certain I couldn't have an abortion.
Reply 22
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
It would depend on the severity of the disability.

But I definitely would not want to get pregnant with someone dead against abortion...

Maybe he would get you pregnant without you realising? :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
I think you and your boyfriend should have a serious talk about your fundamentally opposed views on abortion before you start/continue having sex.

I know it's pretty bad. I guess I'm just scared to talk about it... I wouldn't want an abortion if the baby was healthy, even though it would be a shock. But yeah the clash of views on the disabled issue worries me. I didn't realise how common down's was! I thought it was extremely rare, but 1 in 1000 chance (under 35, rises to 1 in 400 then) is actually quite a lot, even though it doesn't sound it.
Reply 24
For Downs Syndrome? No I would not. The question is simple, would you rather EXIST and have a disability, or would you rather not to ever have existed, because that's the question we're asking. And while this is not a question I can answer in a truly informed way (due to my not having Downs Syndrome), I would rather exist and have it than not exist at all.
Reply 25
Original post by madders94
I'm 13 weeks pregnant and thankfully my scan last week seemed fine, but if I was now to be told that my baby almost certainly had downs syndrome, I wouldn't be able to go through with abortion unless I knew it would have a lifetime of pain and no quality of life. I've become so attached to this baby, I'm almost certain I couldn't have an abortion.

Yeah, I'm not sure that anyone can really say what we would do until it happens.
what's the difference between abortion and killing? i think everyone has the right to live.
Yep. Sounds harsh but my mum didn't know I'd have so many problems and now she thinks it was wrong of her to bring me into the world
That being said she loves me dearly and is so proud of me
But yeah, I've been told if people pass on the conditions I have they only get worse with each generation... So I'd be setting the kid up for a horrid life!
At this stage in my life, I 100% would. I wouldn't be able to care for any baby, especially not one with DS. I think my opinion could change when I'm an adult, but it depends. Will the baby have a good life? How will this effect me and my partner emotionally? Hard decision.
no. Having losg one baby I don't think I can do it again. If the doctors tells us the baby would be alive then I think he or she should have the chance to be born.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
No. I won't be able to live if i abort a baby. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I would not but then again I may think: is it fair for me to allow the baby to continue living, knowing the all the suffering the child would go through? It would be a very tough decision to make.
Reply 32
Definitely. I wouldn't even have to spend 1 second thinking about it.

My decision would almost entirely be based on the negative impact having a disabled child would have on my life. I would probably tell people it was because I didn't want the child to suffer, though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
It would depend on how disabled, but I'd lean towards abortion.

I have a severely disabled cousin. He is 19 and is unable to walk, talk, feed himself, go to the toilet, recognise family members who live with him etc. He must have had tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of pounds spent on his education, even though he was never going to progress in terms of his physical or mental abilities. In addition, my aunt now is on a daily mix of pain relief as she has knackered her back moving him around. If my cousin had been born 100 years ago he would probably have died within a few months.

As cold and harsh as it sounds, I just don't see the point of spending what must amount to hundreds of thousands of pounds on someone so disabled. Surely the money could have been much better spent improving the local secondary school or something?
Reply 34
Yep, I'm not sure why you're surprised.
Yes I would. Especially at this point in my life. I don't think I would even think twice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I were the baby, I would never want a life like that... That's so miserable. So, yes...:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on the disability. My brother has autism (middle spectrum) and I would never want to look after a child who wouldn't be able to have a normal life. I think it's simply cruel to deliberately give birth to a child who will suffer.
Reply 39
Original post by limetang
For Downs Syndrome? No I would not. The question is simple, would you rather EXIST and have a disability, or would you rather not to ever have existed, because that's the question we're asking. And while this is not a question I can answer in a truly informed way (due to my not having Downs Syndrome), I would rather exist and have it than not exist at all.

Which leads to the logical conclusion that you must have as many babies as physically possible, breeding continuously from puberty to menopause, to maximise the 'existance' of all of your potential children. As presumably they would prefer to exist too.

For most people, its a choice between having a DS baby now or a non-DS baby later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending