If I get braces at 17, will I have to pay once I turn 18?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
cuppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello people!

I will only be referred to an orthodontist after January because that's when my dentist appointment is, which means that by the time I get the actual braces (most likely in spring/summer) I will be 17 and a half. By the time I take them off -- I will definitely be 18.

So I was wondering -- if I get my braces put on while I'm 17, will I have to pay once I turn 18-19 even though I will be in full time ed.? Or will the treatment be free 'cause I started it at 17?

Thank you and sorry for a rather dumb question :rolleyes:
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you going to be in full time education? (ie sixth form). I have a feeling it MIGHT be free until you turn 19.
tania<3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Are you going to be in full time education? (ie sixth form). I have a feeling it MIGHT be free until you turn 19.
This, you'll only have to pay once you leave school
zeb786
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What if they've already been removed, and you want them on again? Is it free?
Roloing_around
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had to get everything rushed through before I turned 17(march this year) to get my braces put on and not have to pay for it.
cuppa
Rep:
?
(Original post by tania<3)
This, you'll only have to pay once you leave school
If the treatment is longer than a year, then by the time I will have to take them off I will probably be in university. Would that still count as full time education?
H0ls
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No.
I got my braces put on the day after I was eighteen. My treatment plan was agreed and confirmed when I was seventeen and I've not had to pay. I had to wait this long because it was a problem with my jaw/bite so it couldn't be done until growth stopped.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cuppa)
If the treatment is longer than a year, then by the time I will have to take them off I will probably be in university. Would that still count as full time education?
I think you'd have to pay for appointments once you were at uni but you'd be better asking your dentist to be absolutely sure.
H0ls
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also, I'm on a gap year and not in university and haven't had to pay a penny.
cuppa
Rep:
?
I think you'd have to pay for appointments once you were at uni but you'd be better asking your dentist to be absolutely sure.
Thanks! I will make sure to ask her, but I was just wondering because my mum was asking me about it. I know I will have enough things to spend money on once I finish college. :rolleyes:
cuppa
Rep:
?
(Original post by H0ls)
Also, I'm on a gap year and not in university and haven't had to pay a penny.
I have problem with my bite as well, but I could've gotten braces when I was 13. Sadly, I was living somewhere where braces are really expensive. Hopefully I will be as lucky as you
BlueSheep32
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's free until you're 19 unless you have a HC2 certificate (I think?) that means you can get healthcare stuff like prescriptions and optical care for free - I think that's means tested though. My boyfriend had braces when we started uni and only had them taken off a week before his 20th birthday and he didn't have to pay anything for them.
Tpos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got mine when I was 17 and now I'm 19 (20 soon) and I haven't had to pay anything. I wasn't asked whether I was in full time education after I turned 18 (but I am at uni).
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as your treatment has started before you were 18, then you won't have to pay for the duration of your treatment. Similarly, I need a root canal and I'm on jobseekers, but if I get a job between the two appointments for the root canal, I still won't have to pay for the second appointment because the treatment already started.
moonziggy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, I got my braces last year and I am now 18 and I don't have to pay.
cuppa
Rep:
?
Thanks for the responses, guys! ^^
JCoronel5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got my braces when I was 16 and I just turned 19 in January but my medical had covered for them but now that I am 19, I don't have medical anymore, do I still have to pay?? I get them off in march and I'm also getting surgery in March and my appointment was scheduled when I still had my medical so I don't know what to do anymore... someone help me
furryface12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JCoronel5)
I got my braces when I was 16 and I just turned 19 in January but my medical had covered for them but now that I am 19, I don't have medical anymore, do I still have to pay?? I get them off in march and I'm also getting surgery in March and my appointment was scheduled when I still had my medical so I don't know what to do anymore... someone help me
Bit late but you won't have to pay, your treatment started before and also if you're having surgery there's a strong medical need for it. On the NHS anyway, assuming that's what you're talking about! This is an old thread anyway so I'm going to close it, hope that helps though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (823)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads