The Student Room Group

Working out enthalpy of combustion with no information

Hey guys, I'm trying to work out the enthalpy of combustion for a tar. The overall formula is C3H6O7S2, and I've been given no information about it other than that. Is there a way to work out the enthalpy of combustion for a mol of this, just knowing the constituent elements in it? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Kyta
Hey guys, I'm trying to work out the enthalpy of combustion for a tar. The overall formula is C3H6O7S2, and I've been given no information about it other than that. Is there a way to work out the enthalpy of combustion for a mol of this, just knowing the constituent elements in it? Thanks!

No. You need the formation enthalpies for the starting material and the combustion products, or their bond energies, or some other energetic information that would allow you to construct a Hess cycle.
Reply 2
Original post by Kyta

If you haven't been given the information, you could also calculate it using mean bond enthalpies of each bonds breaking and formation, using a table of mean bond enthalpies. Should be on google :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest