gabbygracia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
HELP! I'm stuck between these two universities.

I am planning to take Finance, which university should i go to?
Some people say that UNSW is the best business school, but some people say Mel U is. Mel U is also ranked higher than UNSW in the world ranking, does that really matter?

Will I be more acknowledged by companies if I were a student of Mel U rather than UNSW?

I am also considering the campus life. Which university has the better campus? and which uni has better students/people for networking?

My other choice of major is Food Technology. any idea which uni is better for food technology?

THANKS!
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UoM's campus is right in the city centre, been there once, quite okay. Some old fancy sandstone buildings, others are hideous. Have never been to UNSW though. Sydney, however, is quite a bit different from Melbourne. It's got a reputation for being more laid back and all about surfing while Melbourne is heavy on the cultural side (museum, art galleries etc.). Realistically though you will get both in either city. And Sydney has better weather

On average, UoM is the more reputable choice in general. My current uni (ANU) constantly battles with it for the top spot in the national rankings. Both unis (UoM and UNSW) are in the Group of Eight (Australian equivalent of the Russell Group).

That's all I can offer you, have no idea which uni is better for Business It also depends where you want to work later - UoM is better known globally.
leooooo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What country are you from? When are you planning on coming to Australia and how long for? Is it just an exchange program?

If you're on exchange - you've gotta come to Sydney. You can't go wrong with the beaches here. UNSW is the best business school in Sydney (and I go to USYD!).

However if you're here for the long term I would pick Melbourne - its a great city and it's not as expensive!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Melbourne.

The University is excellent and has strong international recognition. It was founded in 1850 and is one of the oldest Unis in Australia. NSW was only founded in 1949 as a Technology University (ie. a Polytechnic type Uni) - it might have nice modern looking buildings, but it doesnt have the academic depth of somewhere like Melbourne. Melbourne has a compact campus that is easy to find your way around, and is within 10 mins walk of the CBD (NSW is in a suburb 7kms from the city). Melbourne is a beautiful city to live in and isnt as massive/overwhelming as Sydney - this is important if you are coming from overseas, you need somewhere you can get to grips with and feel at home quickly.
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
... it might have nice modern looking buildings, but it doesnt have the academic depth of somewhere like Melbourne.
Nonesense. QS ranks NSW 52nd in the world, slightly below Melbourne. Both are G8 universities, both are among the world's top universities, the differences are negligible. The TO wants to study finance and UNSW graduates actually hold more chief executive positions of ASX 200 listed companies than those of any other university in Australia (according to Wikipedia).

Melbourne has a compact campus that is easy to find your way around, and is within 10 mins walk of the CBD (NSW is in a suburb 7kms from the city). Melbourne is a beautiful city to live in and isnt as massive/overwhelming as Sydney - this is important if you are coming from overseas, you need somewhere you can get to grips with and feel at home quickly.
Sydney is an equally beautiful city to live in, it has better weather and what exactly makes it more overwhelming, especially considering that the TO will probably live close to the university in the outskirts? It's the best of both, living in a rather quiet place but still close enough to the city centre to get there on a daily basis for shopping/eating out/museums etc.
artjoa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am from Melbourne here, but I would say if u want to aim for Finance jobs and you have the right permit (PR/Citizen), my vote would go to UNSW.

Not because they are better, but there are more finance jobs in Sydney than Melb. However, if you are an international student, then UoM!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads