The Student Room Group

If you could design a school uniform....

So my old secondary school has redone its school uniform - the new design doesn't look that great (it looks tacky). I think something like this http://www.honeybuy.com/image/Non_Vented_Notch_Lapel_Navy_Suit_For_Men_18152458118464_690X500.jpg with a distinct school tie would look good on guys. And girls could wear a white shirt, dark blazer with a tartan skirt or dark trousers.

And there would be a slim fit option available along with the boxy ones.
Reply 1
If I could, I would abolish school uniform as it serves no logical purpose to aid learning. Though if I had to design a school uniform, I would go for one that is easy to manufacture, low cost and minimalistic. A simple shirt with the school logo would be enough aswell as smart trousers and shoes.

I've never understood why anything else is nessecary like blazers and ties.

*abolish excessive accessories which the school obligates parents to buy which are expensive and unnecessary. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Assassinn
If I could, I would abolish school uniform as it serves no logical purpose to aid learning. Though if I had to design a school uniform, I would go for one that is easy to manufacture, low cost and minimalistic. A simple shirt with the school logo would be enough aswell as smart trousers and shoes.

I've never understood why anything else is nessecary like blazers and ties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A school uniform reduces the chance of kids being anxious about what to wear, whether they will look poor etc.

And a blazer I suppose just makes things a bit smarter and helps keep you a bit warm.
Reply 3
Original post by blackorchid
A school uniform reduces the chance of kids being anxious about what to wear, whether they will look poor etc.

And a blazer I suppose just makes things a bit smarter and helps keep you a bit warm.

I've never had to wear a school uniform, and I am quite glad about that. My school had the following rules - clothes have to be clean, not overly revealing, and not too offensive. Apart from that, everything was accepted. There weren't any rules about hairstyles, make-up and jewelry, either.

There were never any problems with it, and it was fun to be expressive in what you wear.

That said, uniforms do look quite smart :smile:.
Reply 4
If possible I'd allow children to customise as much as possible to give them a sense of identity while not making money (or lack of it) too obvious. Things like a choice between tie, cardigan, blazer jumper colours and styles etc. However this is unlikely because it would not be obvious what school a child attended from their colours alone which the local authorities might not like.
Reply 5
Original post by blackorchid

I relate to your first point in a way, but I disagree with our policy makers insisting it serves a purpose when it actually doesn't. And indeed a blazer keeps people warm but it's also bloody expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I relate to your first point in a way, but I disagree with our policy makers insisting it serves a purpose when it actually doesn't. And indeed a blazer keeps people warm but it's also bloody expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Blazers are also not made for people going through awkward stages of puberty. Barely fits anyone well...
Reply 7
If I could, I would abolish school uniform as it serves no logical purpose to aid learning.

Here speaks somebody that's never had to keep a group of children together in a crowd.
Reply 8
Original post by BlueSam3
Here speaks somebody that's never had to keep a group of children together in a crowd.

Here speaks someone who potentially could explain how uniform aids learning. Please enlighten me.

I've been a school mentor which involved looking after the younger students on school outings; often including helping out at a local primary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I know not everyone will share my view, but I like a school uniform thats super smart and formal. I like specific items like skirts, blazers, shirts and ties and trousers only available from the school shop. I realise that this means the items are expensive but it has many up sides. Some schools have a requirement for, say, a navy skirt and you end up with 100 styles and it doesn't look like a uniform, plus people replace them frequently to keep up with whichever style is fashionable so it ends up costing just as much. I think the studying mindset is anchored to the uniform, put it on and you are in study mode straight away! I never achieve anything on a dress down day!

If the uniform is very strict and does not allow any movement for people to adapt it in any way, then students just wear it as it is intended to be worn and the whole uniform thing becomes a non issue as there are no rules broken.

Just my view, it works well at our school.
Reply 10
Here speaks someone who potentially could explain how uniform aids learning. Please enlighten me.

I've been a school mentor which involved looking after the younger students on school outings; often including helping out at a local primary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever tried doing it with 120 of them in the middle of London? That's where the problems come in.
I liked my first high schools uniform which was just a white shirt (could be polo or button-down) and a tartan skirt for the girls, with grey pants in the winter and for boys it was grey pants/shorts and a white shirt (polo or button-down) and a maroon jumper/jacket in winter. The sports uniform was a yellow polo and maroon shorts. My second high school though was the 'sports' uniform as the main uniform which was navy blue shorts and the first year I was there it was a turquoise-y polo with a navy blue collar and white stripes around the waist. After that year they changed the polo to a turquoise top with a navy blue collar and navy blue sleeves with a stripe sort of thing going down the sides. There was a 'formal' uniform we had the wear on a certain day of the week, the boys' was just a button-down white shirt and grey slacks or shorts with black shoes. The girls could choose between a white dress with the two school colours in stipes going down them (I wore this every day instead of the sports uniform) or a long turquoise skirt with a blouse the same pattern as the dress.
The boys' tie was navy blue with the thin turquoise stripes and the girls tie was just plain turquoise.

I much prefer wearing the 'formal' uniform as the everyday uniform to the sports uniform, seems more like what a uniform should be.

When I was at school, in the early days, I hated the idea of a uniform, I didn't see the point to them. But as I got older and watched more American TV shows, I understood what they were used for and I was very grateful because I was not rich and couldn't afford so many clothes. I'd much rather go to a school with a uniform than without.
Reply 12
Hmmmm I kinda agree with blackorchid.
I think uniforms should be kept so everyone is considered equally and with the same respect.
Idk if you guys have ever experienced this but some schools around here have total asswipers attending, and immediately judge people on the slightest of changes. So you know, if the choice for clothing was open, while some might enjoy it with new outfits and all that glamming up everyday, the others would have to switch between a pair of jeans and a knit jumper.
It has it's ups and downs I guess :/
So in conclusion, even though I've always wanted to get rid of the uniforms personally, and burn them down- I'd say keep the uniforms. And hey, there's always the joy of those non-uniform days huh (!) Lollllll
Reply 13
And well if you want uniform ideas, I say look up some mangas and animes, or just japanese sailor type uniforms :P I've always wanted these uniforms! They're so AWESOMMEEEE
I get uniforms to an extent, but when I was in school, kids who were stopped from doing work and shouted at, then disrupting the class... that is pretty counter productive. Uniforms are also super expensive... generic shirt, trousers/skirt and a school jumper/cardigan would suffice, and no over the top rules on the colour of your hairband like my old school. :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by rachiriot
I get uniforms to an extent, but when I was in school, kids who were stopped from doing work and shouted at, then disrupting the class... that is pretty counter productive. Uniforms are also super expensive... generic shirt, trousers/skirt and a school jumper/cardigan would suffice, and no over the top rules on the colour of your hairband like my old school. :tongue:

Ah true say.
Uniforms are really expensive, I really think they should make it simpler- and I actually think it'll look nicer that way.
Yeah my school was really strict too. And by that I mean your tie had to have 7 blue and 7 yellow stripes shown...or a detention on the way!
Reply 16
black trousers/jeans, white or black polo shirt, smart shoes

keep it simple
Reply 17
I would probably make everyone wear sweathirts and caps. A bit like the chinese minders in the Olympic games:

I think the only advantage of making girls wear skirts and blouses is for dirty old men and Japanese cartoonists:

It's weird that I never had to wear uniform except in secondary school in the ages 10-15. Precisely the years that the peados are interested in. Hmmm.... suspicous if you ask me!! I think its a conspiracy for the teachers to look up young girls skirts.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Are school clothes really that expensive? £100 on a uniform which will last an entire year or maybe two is pretty good isn't it? It's something that is worn on a near-daily basis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show