The Student Room Group

Wanting to increase the amount of Student Loan I've got...?

Hi everyone

I'm 3 weeks into my first year at Uni and loving it.

I am nearly 22, living with my parents, commuting every day and working weekends to pay rent to them, and I got the basic amount of maintenance loan (£2843) to cover my travel costs, this I did not have to provide any income evidence for.

I am no dissatisfied with this set up, however I really am starting to want to move out and find a flat with my boyfriend who also works part time.

To do this I would need a bit more help from Student Finance as my £250-a-month salary from my job, plus my boyfriends income (which is less), plus the loan I have would only cover it at a huge stretch, if you include the deposit, bills, food shopping etc

Is there any way I can alter the amount I am getting? I tried to change it on the application form itself, but it was confusing and it didn't let me apply for more than I have.

Also, will I have to use my parents' income as evidence if I want more? It's quite complicated as my Dad is self-employed and finds it difficult to prove his income as it fluctuates so often, my Mum works full time but it would still be quite an inconvenience to do this.

Could I use my income as evidence? Or do I have to wait until I'm 25?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1
Your income can only be used as evidence if you've been self supporting for the last 3 years.
You can't use your own income.
You will have to use your parents income.
Your dad should be able to prove his income for the relevant year very easily through his tax return.
Your mum must include her income.
Your folks are expected to help you.
Reply 3
Correct me if I'm horribly wrong, but I thought you can't change your loan mid-year?

I think you would have to apply for a living away from home next year, and do all the moving out and whatnot then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course you can.
You use a change of circumstances form.
Reply 5
You can't be considered independent after your course starts. The only way you'll be assessed on your own income is if you can prove you've been earning enough to be financially independent for the last 3 years (usually quoted as £7.5k a year) before the start of your course or are 25 before the start of your course.

Get your mums P60 from this year and your dads accountant to show how much he earned last year (which he would have done for tax returns) and send it in to student finance and they'll reassess your loan.

I'd recommend staying living at home while you're at uni. You'll save money and it'll be less stress trust me Renegotiate with your parents how you shouldn't have to pay rent while at uni. Bargain for summer rent for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending