Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

BAD customer service experience at White City Apple Store + mini rant (Overreaction?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, this is a little narrative/rant about a piss-poor piece of customer service I had this morning:

I went to this Apple Store in White City (Westfield) to ask if I could pay to have my old iPhone 4 replaced with a like-for-like refurb to give to a family member. I had been in the same store some months before for the same matter, and was told that since the phone was effectively dead, I could indeed pay £120 for a "new" phone. I had booked an appointment yesterday, and was told that if I came back a little while later or early tomorrow morning, I might be able to be seen by one of the technicians. As such, I thought I should just go in in the morning and deal with the matter. I thought there was no need for an appointment with the "Genius Bar" (what an arrogant name for an arrogant bunch of people!), and I could simply just pay for a new phone and be on my way. I waited in line for about five minutes, before being called to the employee at the front, dealing with the customers. As soon as I began to explain the situation, I was told very bluntly that there was no point in explaining it to him as I would need to speak to one of the Geniuses (please!) because they dealt with all the technical stuff. I felt very annoyed because I didn't see WHY he needed to interrupt me as it was his job to hear out the customers, and I told him so. I then explained the situation to him, and was told I would still need to come in to see them. I told him that I was told I could come in when the store was less busy as there could be a chance for them to see me right away; he scoffed at this, told me I had misunderstood what was said to me, and advised me to rebook my appointment. He then shunted me off to use one of the Macs on the table beside him so I could book the appointment myself. Needless to say, this really ****ing annoyed me. I work in retail, and it's the cardinal sin to interrupt the customer as they're talking to you and then, to top it all off, contradict them when they repeat what a member of staff has told them. We pay top dollar to use Apple products, the least they could do is to train their so-called Geniuses to have a little respect and civility when dealing with customers. We're not animals here!

After I'd booked my appointment, I went back up to him and said "Just a friendly piece of advice: the next time you're dealing with a customer, don't interrupt them, and certainly don't contradict them, because it makes you and the company you work for look like utter pricks." He looked like he'd **** himself when I said this, mumbled "Ok" and "thank you" and then I went on my way.

So my question is - was I right to feel so pissed off then and still feel a bit annoyed now? It's just not "the done thing", especially with such a reputable company. Or am I making a big deal over nothing? I just don't appreciate that type of arrogance and dismissive attitude at 10 on a Thursday morning!

ReputationRep:
    na they're all dickheads

ReputationRep:
    Why not just complain to Apple instead of here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Complaints to Apple?

They have a really great way of dealing with customer complaints.

They don't have a complaints department.

Impossible to get a direct contact to tell them your problems. Just some online multiple choice questionnaire.

Complain to "customer support" or someone at a store?

Great if you like talking to a programmed robot, who obviously does not want to talk to you.

Apple has all the symptoms of a large company that thinks it's more important than its customers. But they are fair in one way. They treat all customers with equal contempt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiecat)
    Complaints to Apple?

They have a really great way of dealing with customer complaints.

They don't have a complaints department.

Impossible to get a direct contact to tell them your problems. Just some online multiple choice questionnaire.

Complain to "customer support" or someone at a store?

Great if you like talking to a programmed robot, who obviously does not want to talk to you.

Apple has all the symptoms of a large company that thinks it's more important than its customers. But they are fair in one way. They treat all customers with equal contempt.
    Email Tim Cook

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.