The Student Room Group

I got laughed at.

Today, I was using a library that I rarely used, I couldn't get the swipe to work, and I was swiping on the wrong side,

this guy tells me that I'm on the wrong gate, then I swipe, push the turnstile whilst it is still red though. I was tired right, so I'm not completely with it. I push it again, and the guy says sarcastically that I have to wait till it's red. But then he just walks off with his mate, laughing at me. Now, I wanted to go up to him and say what's so funny.

I don't know why I let this bother me. I thought it was so rude.

Has anyone else had strangers laugh at you for any reason, because there was a part of me that wanted to start a fist fight. What would you do to restore your pride in that situation?

You might think this is petty, but I've been thinking about it all day, annoyed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
You didn't tell him to **** off?? Unlucky.
Original post by Tim2341
Today, I was using a library that I rarely used, I couldn't get the swipe to work, and I was swiping on the wrong side,

this guy tells me that I'm on the wrong gate, then I swipe, push the turnstile whilst it is still red though. I was tired right, so I'm not completely with it. I push it again, and the guy says sarcastically that I have to wait till it's red. But then he just walks off with his mate, laughing at me. Now, I wanted to go up to him and say what's so funny.

Has anyone else had strangers laugh at you for any reason, because there was a part of me that wanted to start a fist fight. What would you do to restore your pride in that situation?

You might think this is petty, but I've been thinking about it all day, annoyed.

I guess sometimes you take things to heart which are fairly meaningless. The guy was with his friend, so he was probably trying to show off or look funny. Some people's extent of their comical ability is just insulting others. Brush it off, and remember that the guy is just some dick that you don't need to care about.
Well this is exactly what life is about.

You will have your good days and bad days.

Chin up mate and look forward to the next day.
Reply 4
Humiliation always illicit the most rage
He wouldn't have had the guts to laugh at you if (a) you were with someone else or (b) he was alone. Don't worry about it.
Reply 6
Come on, if you act like a crybaby over this, you're not going to survive in the real world, trust me.

I might sound harsh when I say that but unfortunately the world is full of dick-heads, especially when people have a mate or two with them to back them up. If the guy was on his own, he wouldn't have laughed at you.
Reply 7
Needless to say you didn't have the last laugh :sad:
Try and be philosophical. You win some you lose some. But you're right it is annoying. Just make a mental note who is going to be first up against the wall when you're King.

Incidentally, I genuinely think libraries bring out the worst in people.
Reply 9
I would of told them to **** off :colone:
Reply 10
Original post by Lotus_Eater
Incidentally, I genuinely think libraries bring out the worst in people.

This. Avoid libraries at all costs.

1) the library man wouldn't let me take a book out. Huh duh why have it on display then.
2) people who huff and puff because you unpack your bag or stand around looking on book cases.
3) noisy eaters, coughers, slurpers, people taking up computers to look at Facebook etc need to be put into a bus and driven over a cliff.
Reply 11
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
He wouldn't have had the guts to laugh at you if (a) you were with someone else or (b) he was alone. Don't worry about it.

Thanks, you said something true there.
Reply 12
Original post by Ripper-Roo
This. Avoid libraries at all costs.

1) the library man wouldn't let me take a book out. Huh duh why have it on display then.
2) people who huff and puff because you unpack your bag or stand around looking on book cases.
3) noisy eaters, coughers, slurpers, people taking up computers to look at Facebook etc need to be put into a bus and driven over a cliff.
oh my god this part had me in tears :rofl:

i agree it's sad to be checking facebook all the time. lectures theatres are full of spoilt students with their iphones checking facebook all the time.
Reply 13
screw them who cares :cool:
Original post by Tim2341

I did something like this. I was standing by the barriers in the library for about a minute or two placing my card on what I though was the sensor. But then my friend said that it wasn't, and that I had to put it on the panel above. Luckily I don't think anyone else noticed :colondollar:.
Reply 15
Original post by Bassetts
oh my god this part had me in tears :rofl:

i agree it's sad to be checking facebook all the time. lectures theatres are full of spoilt students with their iphones checking facebook all the time.

Uh huh, and they complain about 'student poverty' but go back to a comfortable house at Christmas!
Reply 16
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending