The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Bangor 2014

Hello all, I've just applied to Bangor, Chester, Gloucester, Sheffield and Keele to study English, however Bangor is my first option and Gloucester is my insurance.

I sent my UCAS on the 23rd but still have this message:

23-10-2013 (08:29) Your application has been approved by your referee/coordinator.
23-10-2013 (08:29) Your reference has been completed and is waiting for approval.

Does this mean my tutor hasn't sent my reference? I really hope she doesn't leave it until after half term, because I've heard that Bangor start giving out early offers on the 2nd November.

Also, I wonder if I could pick the brains of any current university student...
You know how you have to pay a £300 deposit for your accommodation, Well, does this come out of your loan? Do you have to pay it right away or when you get there? I won't have £300 for accommodation at the end of July.

Which halls are closest to the English school? Do you enjoy living there? Do they have en-suite?

Lastly, is anyone applying for Bangor, Chester, Gloucester, Sheffield or Keele to study English in 2014?

Happy waiting :wink: x

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying to Bangor & Chester :smile: aha.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
the loan usually doesn't cover the deposit. you get it back at the end of the year though, and you don't have to pay for it straight away
Reply 3
Ah awesome, what are you studying?

How much does it cover? Crap, I really can't afford £300 out of my own pocket.
Reply 4
I applied to Bangor to do Medieval History, i sent my UCAS off on the 21st of October. Is anyone else doing Medieval History? Or had an offer yet?

xo :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hey!

The £300 does unfortunately have to come from your own money. You do not get it back though, as they just take £300 off your last rent payment. I know a few people who struggled to come up with it in time, so what they did was opened a student bank account and used the large overdraft you get to cover the £300 (or most of it).

As for which halls are closest to the school of English- This is in Main Arts, which is a ten or fifteen minute walk from all the halls on Ffriddoedd Site :smile:

I'm currently studying English Language with Creative Writing and living in Y Borth, so if you have any questions you think I might be able to answer, feel free to message me! Good luck with your application ^^

(Edit) Forgot to say, all the halls on Ffridd except Reichel have en suites :smile: And as for whether I enjoy living here, yes I do! It can get quite loud sometimes, especially on the weekends, but overall it's quite pleasant. It does depend on your flatmates though. Luckily I got to live with some really awesome people :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hattie19959
I applied to Bangor to do Medieval History, i sent my UCAS off on the 21st of October. Is anyone else doing Medieval History? Or had an offer yet?

xo :biggrin:

Ah awesome, I've just graduated myself from Bangor with a degree in Medieval History! You're unlikely to find many others on your exact course as there were only 10/15 doing Medieval in my year, but if you do go to Bangor, the Medieval lecturers are the best in the school (imo of course), the teaching elsewhere I found can be a bit mixed as in the first year you have to do a range of general history modules, but the Medieval staff, particularly Mark Hagger who I had teaching me the whole third year are so friendly, funny and helpful, the seminar before Christmas he brought in bottles of Mulled Wine and mince pies:biggrin: But seriously probably one of the best teachers/lecturers I've had, so I'd certainly recommend it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks Kirsty that's really helpful. Looks like I'll be taking out an over draft then as my job wouldn't cover that.

I was thinking about applying for y borth accommodation as it's quite close to the site and en suite.

Yes, I'll certainly be pestering you with more questions in the future :smile:
Reply 8
Just got an offer for Accounting and Finance. :smile:
I've applied to Bangor, and got an offer for Electronic Engineering. Not sure whether I will be going though, as I put it down more to fill out the 5 slots on the UCAS form. It does look to be a decent university though, so I may still consider it!
Reply 10
Original post by SilentSeraph
I've applied to Bangor, and got an offer for Electronic Engineering. Not sure whether I will be going though, as I put it down more to fill out the 5 slots on the UCAS form. It does look to be a decent university though, so I may still consider it!

Samr here I just got my offer for electronic engineering but I got many other options. What are your choices??
Original post by Ryan.W
Samr here I just got my offer for electronic engineering but I got many other options. What are your choices??

Really!? BSc or Beng? And I've applied for York as well, that's the one I'm aiming for. Also applied for University of West England Bristol, Staffordshire and the University of South Wales. What about you?
Reply 12
Original post by SilentSeraph
Really!? BSc or Beng? And I've applied for York as well, that's the one I'm aiming for. Also applied for University of West England Bristol, Staffordshire and the University of South Wales. What about you?

BEng but I've applied for hull, Portsmouth, Lancaster, bath and Bangor oh course!!
Original post by Ryan.W
BEng but I've applied for hull, Portsmouth, Lancaster, bath and Bangor oh course!!

Ah, I'm for the BSc, not got maths A Level so yeah :P Those are all pretty good unis though!
I've jut gotten a conditional from Bangor to do Welsh! Maybe I'll see you around :smile:
Reply 15
Heyy guys Im applying for Bangor to study Zoology with Marine zoology anyone doing the same ??? I applied last year but didnt get the grades i wanted which sucked but got my self on track this year and hopefully ill see you all there this time around if you want to do what others did last year was set up a Bangor Applicant 2014 group where people who have applied can all go and ask questions and get to know people :3 Im Thomas btw <3
Just got an offer from Bangor to do Environmental Science. Definitely going there! :biggrin:
Reply 17
I've been accepted for Sept 2014 for BSc in Chemistry :biggrin: I need to start thinking about accommodation now!
Wow,Well done! Same,have you thought of anywhere? I was thinking of jmj probably :smile: haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by NicolaJones
Wow,Well done! Same,have you thought of anywhere? I was thinking of jmj probably :smile: haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done to you also :biggrin:, I haven't looked into it hugely but the chemistry building is a 5 minute walk from jmj :smile: Will be considering that but to be honest I want the cheapest possible really, not bothered about ensuites etc! Saying that £105 a week isn't too bad.

I really need to do more research to put it plainly haha :tongue:

Edit:: After doing a quick 10 minute research I really fancy Reichel :smile: £83 per week and you still get wifi aswell as wired :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest