Why do people lie with putting younger/prettier/ versions of themselves in profile Watch

Jam198
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why do people lie with putting younger/ prettier/handsome versions of themselves in profile pictures?

It's downright misleading and deceptive. Then you meet them in the flesh and they look nothing like their profile picture, who are they kidding? Why do they do it because in the end, they will see you and see the difference. Do they expect people to fall for their personality despite the feeling that you've had the wool pulled over your eyes, deceptive picture, fake age in the profile. That makes me want to think you are a liar and not trustworthy. Great first impression!
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Well, I doubt that's you in yours.
Jam198
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maid Marian)
UHHHH, that's my avatar, it's on the selection list. I think it's agreed that that isn't picture because we all know the selection.

But profile pictures in other contexts where you expect the person to look like themselves, they're not supposed to be using avatars in those situations.
Jam198
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maid Marian)
By the way side, I'm more handsome than my avatar. I'm just modest.
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jam198)
By the way side, I'm more handsome than my avatar. I'm just modest.
Mmmhmm, sure you are
Timikji
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well no matter what picture they use it will always be a younger version of themselves, unless it's a live stream of course.
Anonymous Coward
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For the same reason McDonalds show burgers that have been painted and tinkered with, and your local chippy shows the same generic pictures of cod and chips despite theirs looking cheap, dull and colour-free in comparison.

The dating world is similar to the business world. You have a product (yourself) - It's down to you to:

Improve your product (haircut, good clothes, exercise etc.)
Find your unique selling point (e.g. looks, guitar-playing, great dancer, supreme intelligence)
Find your best point of sale (clubs/bars etc.) Are you a niche product, or not?
Advertise your product.
And ultimately sell your product.

A good, flattering picture is great advertisement for your product.
And even if your product is out of stock (you're in a relationship,) it's important to retain interest for when it may become restocked.
Treeroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's very simple, people want to hook others in, even if the initial portrayal isn't accurate. You're going to get a better reception if you make yourself out to be better looking in your profile picture.
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous Coward)
For the same reason McDonalds show burgers that have been painted and tinkered with, and your local chippy shows the same generic pictures of cod and chips despite theirs looking cheap, dull and colour-free in comparison.

The dating world is similar to the business world. You have a product (yourself) - It's down to you to:

Find your unique selling point (e.g. guitar playing, or great dancer, intelligence)
Advertise your product.

And even if your product is out of stock (you're in a relationship,) it's important to retain interest for when it may become restocked.
Really enjoyed that analogy, lovely and well written
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jam198)
Why do people lie with putting younger/ prettier/handsome versions of themselves in profile pictures?

It's downright misleading and deceptive. Then you meet them in the flesh and they look nothing like their profile picture, who are they kidding? Why do they do it because in the end, they will see you and see the difference. Do they expect people to fall for their personality despite the feeling that you've had the wool pulled over your eyes, deceptive picture, fake age in the profile. That makes me want to think you are a liar and not trustworthy. Great first impression!
You could argue, if most people do this, it will be expected. You certainly expect a picture on a dating site to be of someone at their best, not their average.

It's like how men, on average, exaggerate their height by one/two inches on these sites. So women probably have a slightly off judgement of height- they would see five nine/ten as below average, when really it's average. So to be perceived accurately, you should lie.

Plus there's a grey area here. How old is it acceptable for a picture to be?
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
*frowns*

What are you talking about? I am a blonde, sexy ice queen. No deceptions here.
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mankytoes)
You could argue, if most people do this, it will be expected. You certainly expect a picture on a dating site to be of someone at their best, not their average.

It's like how men, on average, exaggerate their height by one/two inches on these sites. So women probably have a slightly off judgement of height- they would see five nine/ten as below average, when really it's average. So to be perceived accurately, you should lie.

Plus there's a grey area here. How old is it acceptable for a picture to be?
Don't these women meet actual men?
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't like getting in pictures because I don't need everyone to know I had fun, therefore there aren't many recent pictures to me.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
Don't these women meet actual men?
Yeah, but they probably don't measure them, and guys in real life exagerate their height too. Can you tell someone's height to the inch by looking at them?
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mankytoes)
Yeah, but they probably don't measure them, and guys in real life exagerate their height too. Can you tell someone's height to the inch by looking at them?
Well, no. I know my dad is 6 foot though and I know he's considered quite tall, and I know a fair number of guys are slightly shorter than my dad, but still taller than me. I'm 5"4 so I know that the average height is somewhere inbetween. You don't need to know exact heights to know that in the UK, 6 foot is not the average height. Abroad, sure, but not here.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any thoughts on these side on / corner of the face photos? Is this just insecurity? Certain girls literally have their head turned in every single selfie of theirs. Just interested..
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well it's pretty difficult to find a profile picture of an older version of myself...
civilstudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just call it fakebook
elpistolero7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous Coward)

Find your unique selling point (e.g. looks, guitar-playing, great dancer, supreme intelligence)
Advertise your product.

This man speaks sense. And he's fit by the looks of his avatar, too :sexface:
Anonymous Coward
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by elpistolero7)
This man speaks sense. And he's fit by the looks of his avatar, too :sexface:
Thank pal!
Unfortunately, that's not actually my product
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise