Is it just me, or are PS4 and XB1 graphics not that much better than last gen?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Does anyone agree with me?

I havnt seen any PS4 or xbox one footage that has properly taken my breath away, so to speak.

Take, for example, 'The Last of Us' on ps3, which is regarded as one of the best graphics in a game of that generation. The ps4 footage I've seen isnt that much better looking than the last of us. I was looking last night at footage of ''Assassins Creed: Black flag'' on ps4, and if I didnt know, I would have thought it was just a very very good ps3 game.

To contrast, I remember getting a ps2 in 2002 and the graphics blew me away. The change from ps1 to ps2 was phenomenal.
The first games I played on ps2 were Metal Gear Solid 2, Tekken Tag Tournament, Silent Hill 2. All of these had jaw dropping graphics (at least, to me they were!) and made the ps1 games look like blocky unplayable junk. The ps3 games still look good, when compared to ps4 footage. the ps4 has not made the ps3 graphics look obsolete

Also, the loading times and speed of the ps2 was vastly more than the ps1 (obviously I can comment on loading times on the ps4).

Im sad to say that I dont really see the fuss for the new generation of consoles, for this very reason.

I would be excited if there was a huge jump in graphics.

Or have I just been looking at the wrong games?

Anyone see where I'm coming from?
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Give it time. I'm sure that once developers have more experience of developing for these consoles, they could push the power of the consoles even more
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by SecretDuck)
Give it time. I'm sure that once developers have more experience of developing for these consoles, they could push the power of the consoles even more
I had thought of that.

Hopefully the footage we've seen is just dodgy launch titles and 2-3 years from now we'll be looking at this thread and laughing because the graphics have taken a quantum leap forward...
CJKay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In comparison to a decade ago, graphics and computing technology in general is just not improving as radically as it did. We're reaching the limits of silicon chips in terms of how many transistors we can get on a board without it overheating, and as a result we aren't able to double the power of a graphics card in 2-3 years like we used to be able to.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bloomblaze)
quantum leap
I don't think this means what you think it means.
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by + polarity -)
I thought it meant huge leap!
LiamMcMorrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dont think anyone cares. It just suites the purpose for what it means by the impression it gives.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LiamMcMorrow)
I dont think anyone cares. It just suites the purpose for what it means by the impression it gives.
k
FlavaFavourFruit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
k
:toofunny:
Will Lucky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The best example, play some Oblivion and then play some Skyrim. That will give you an idea of what 5 years can do to game development. The first generation of titles on this generation will be well slight improvements, but give the developers some time to know how the machines work and get their tools upgraded and we will start seeing some grand titles. Look to companies like Naughty Dog to start bringing the best out.
Tom_green_day
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you been looking at the footage on a computer, maybe on youtube? Because that'd be where your problem lies buddy.
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
Have you been looking at the footage on a computer, maybe on youtube? Because that'd be where your problem lies buddy.
yes I have but I dont see the relevance of that

I am aware of course that if I actually had a ps4 in front of me instead of a youtube recording of it, it would look better, but even still, youtube does give an indication of the graphics

its a 1080p screen i'm viewing it on too

what are you getting at?
Cerdic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it does. Clearly stemming from the advances in physics from the advent of quantum mechanics, Oxford English Dictionary defines it as:

quantum leap
noun
a sudden large increase or advance:
there has been a quantum leap in the quality of wines marketed in the UK

EDIT: got distracted from the OP. OP, graphics are only as good on the XB1 and the PS4 as they are on the XB 360 and PS3 because what they build them on hasn't improved. We were never going to see a huge increase in graphics quality overnight.
Look at some of the first 360 games compared to today. Graphics were terrible comparably, but they improved which is what we expect to happen with this newest generation
Svenjamin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The biggest leap will be with physics. Being able to have more active objects on the screen could be used in lots of interesting ways, and maximising draw distances means that any discussion on draw distances at all may become a thing of the past.

Graphics-wise, I reckon we're going to plateau soon. Better graphics = more detail = more work = more time = more money. No one wants to pay loads more for a game to look slightly better, especially when that eats into the budget of what could go towards gameplay and level design. We're already seeing lots of very pretty, very short games at the moment. For instance, I can't see another game as expansive as Final Fantasy VII being developed in this climate.

All I would expect with the next gen is slightly nicer looking games with the bugs of the current gen minimised/eliminated, such as framerate lags and draw distances. It should be a far more fluid and intuitive feel hopefully.

And as others have said, comparing PS3 at the end of its cycle to the PS4 at the beginning of its cycle is pointless. It takes time for devs to get to grips with consoles. Compare PS3 start of cycle to the PS4 and it's far more impressive. Plus release games are often kinda rushed. The better games come out 6-12 months post-release.
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Developers have already said that there won't be a big leap in graphics this generation. We'll get some better textures and a little bit more background detail. That's about it.

Even after 5+ years, I doubt they'll look much better. That doesn't concern me. As long as the games continue to be fun, I'll be happy.
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by NathanW18)
Developers have already said that there won't be a big leap in graphics this generation. We'll get some better textures and a little bit more background detail. That's about it.

Even after 5+ years, I doubt they'll look much better. That doesn't concern me. As long as the games continue to be fun, I'll be happy.
(Original post by Svenjamin)
The biggest leap will be with physics. Being able to have more active objects on the screen could be used in lots of interesting ways, and maximising draw distances means that any discussion on draw distances at all may become a thing of the past.

Graphics-wise, I reckon we're going to plateau soon. Better graphics = more detail = more work = more time = more money. No one wants to pay loads more for a game to look slightly better, especially when that eats into the budget of what could go towards gameplay and level design. We're already seeing lots of very pretty, very short games at the moment. For instance, I can't see another game as expansive as Final Fantasy VII being developed in this climate.

All I would expect with the next gen is slightly nicer looking games with the bugs of the current gen minimised/eliminated, such as framerate lags and draw distances. It should be a far more fluid and intuitive feel hopefully.

And as others have said, comparing PS3 at the end of its cycle to the PS4 at the beginning of its cycle is pointless. It takes time for devs to get to grips with consoles. Compare PS3 start of cycle to the PS4 and it's far more impressive. Plus release games are often kinda rushed. The better games come out 6-12 months post-release.
Screw it...

We should all just get the Wii-U instead.....
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Screw it...

We should all just get Wii-U's instead.....
I have one already.

I already think the graphics look pretty good this gen. If they stay relativity the same, that doesn't bother me. The gameplay is always the most important part.
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by NathanW18)
I have one already.

I already think the graphics look pretty good this gen. If they stay relativity the same, that doesn't bother me. The gameplay is always the most important part.
what do you think of the wii-u?

what are your favorite games on it?

does having that 2nd screen make any diference to gameplay or is it a gimmick?
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Blocky unplayable junk?! Dude...

I've gotten used to the graphics on PS1. I couldn't bring my PS3 with me to university so I bought a cheap PS1. I'm playing Gran Turismo 2 right now So for me the step-up to PS4 will be incredible.
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what do you think of the wii-u?

what are your favorite games on it?

does having that 2nd screen make any diference to gameplay or is it a gimmick?
In all honesty, I haven't played it much. I bought it because it came down in price. The only games I've played on it are New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi Bro's. U and a little bit of Pikmin 3. Not a huge selection to make a judgement. I'm really waiting for MK8 and Smash Bros. More info on the new Zelda and the "X" game that was shown at E3 would be nice as well.

For me, the second screen is just a gimmick. They didn't need it, but I think they just wanted to be different. They had the motion control thing for the Wii and wanted something new for the Wii U. It's cool for people that have to share a TV, because you can play games with just the gamepad, but if you have your own, you probably won't use it like that.

I'd say it's probably pointless to buy it now, but it will be worth it next year when MK8 and Smash Bros release.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.46%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (39)
14.34%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.04%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise