28.57%
Against conformity (10)
71.43%
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How could anyone, it's the number one way to stick a finger up at any individual and tell them they're worthless compared to society, and they need to behave in a way to please others.
Yeah OK
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not that I encourage conformity, I just don't respect people who purposefully try to be different to gain more attention, or to claim that people don't understand them. Just be true to yourself, and if that doesn't conform to society, then so be it.
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't want to come across as a pseudo-anarchist but I honestly have a real problem conforming :dontknow:
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
I don't want to come across as a pseudo-anarchist but I honestly have a real problem conforming :dontknow:
Good, it means you're strong willed and won't let people mess you around
EonBlueApocalypse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just go with what I like and if that happens to conform with what others are liking at the moment then that's fine with me. If I did conform on everything, I'd be a Geordie Shore watching, get pissed every 3 days, Joey Essex look-a-like, like the majority of guys I see around where I live nowadays.
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
Good, it means you're strong willed and won't let people mess you around
Absolutely! The type of person which annoys me the most is a coward. I wish people would man up and tell people what they think, do what they want and act on what they believe. I have no idea why people can't do this. For me, it feels like a biological imperative :sadnod:
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If everybody did this, perhaps society would collapse. I think a certain degree of collectivism (which implies conformity) is needed for a society to work.
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
If everybody did this, perhaps society would collapse. I think a certain degree of collectivism (which implies conformity) is needed for a society to work.
Who said society is meant to work? :erm:
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Who said society is meant to work? :erm:
No one said it is meant to work. I just said that collectivism is needed in a society.
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No one said it is meant to work. I just said that collectivism is needed in a society.
That wasn't my point. I was just trying to prompt people to think about whether we need society and, if so, if we need it to function the way it does now
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That wasn't my point. I was just trying to prompt people to think about whether we need society and, if so, if we need it to function the way it does now
Try living in the forest by yourself and then come back and tell me whether we need society. :rolleyes:
All the highest achievements we have happened in society. I think that says something.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I say what I like, even before neg was abolished
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try living in the forest by yourself and then come back and tell me whether we need society. :rolleyes:
All the highest achievements we have happened in society. I think that says something.
I've spent some of the last 4 summer holidays living off the land in the brecon beacons. I kill rabbits to eat and build shelter. You should try it yourself :rolleyes:

Anyway, I meant more like what I was talking about in my second post.
skd1996
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yeah OK)
It's not that I encourage conformity, I just don't respect people who purposefully try to be different to gain more attention, or to claim that people don't understand them. Just be true to yourself, and if that doesn't conform to society, then so be it.
I completely agree with this, I think that you should just be yourself and if that means you are seen as 'conforming' or 'not conforming' then so what?
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course I encourage conformity

I want as many people to conform to my view of life as possible

How else will the world suit me
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Of course I encourage conformity

I want as many people to conform to my view of life as possible

How else will the world suit me
You don't think that people challenging your views and beliefs would make life more interesting? I think that a world where we've already figured everything out would be a very dull one :sadnod:
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't think that people challenging your views and beliefs would make life more interesting? I think that a world where we've already figured everything out would be a very dull one :sadnod:
Believe me OC

By the time you get to my age - peace and quiet is favoured
User414413
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I support most societal norms and I'll probably think your a try-hard ******** if you try to purposefully act non-conformist. However, like everything there are some dumb things and if you don't feel comfortable say them and don't conform. We might not agree what are the dumb things but hey that's life. I can't think of one social norm that I've thought "**** that ****".

Just look at the way you call people strong-willed for being non-conformist. I was a ****ing non-conformist at one point and I'm much more stronger willed now that I'm less of a whiny ***** who complains about society's rules when a) it takes more effort to be non-conformist (your raised to conform whether you like it or not so when people say "this is just who i am" 99% of the chance they're bull****ing) and b) no reason to be non-conformist for itself's sake.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I neither encourage nor discourage it BUT.

- It annoys me when people think that something bad is okay just because other people do it.

- I hate it when people do things (i.e. go to an event, or drink alcohol) JUST because "everyone else does it".

But there are some levels of conformity, like queuing, not killing people.. that actually do benefit society.

On the other hand, I also hate it when people WON'T do something to AVOID being like everyone else.

My best example is my partner, who LOVES playing on certain games on Facebook that are only available on iOS. Yet he got an android phone just because he didn't want to be "the same".. and now complains that he can't do the things he wants to.

If you get an iPhone just because everyone has one then that's sad, but NOT getting one for the same reason is just as sad in my opinion.

The people I respect most make decisions based on what's the best for their own personal situation, not because others either do or do not do/have the same thing.
Habsburg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think that it's a question of encouraging either. Both exist.

There's also the fact that claiming non-conformity is conforming in itself. It's not that I think not conforming is invalid, or that I don't see the attraction in various Bohemian/avant-garde sub-cultures. Indeed, there are ways in which I don't conform myself. However, even those who believe that they are rebels, who think that they are standing against society's norms - from the anarchist with right-wing parents to the businessman who cheats on his wife - are following a rather hackneyed script themselves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise