GoldGhost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Due to the exam process being linear, I have many exams in the summer. When would it be the most appropriate to start revision? I've heard around December is a good place to start just before Christmas when the school holiday begins.
saraw26
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My teachers say now (October half term), but I guess it depends from person to person. I'm just doing steady revision until Christmas, and then will increase it from there.

Good luck with yours
fnatic NateDestiel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GoldGhost)
Due to the exam process being linear, I have many exams in the summer. When would it be the most appropriate to start revision? I've heard around December is a good place to start just before Christmas when the school holiday begins.
Depends. Are you doing FSMQ/Language exams/Triple science/AS modules etc.

If you are doing some of the above I would reccomend doing like 2 hours a day if you want top results.

Don't start in Easter far too late by that time.

Just out of interest as I know the system has reformed but are there any January exams, for any subjects for that matter?

Oh and good luck hope you achieve the grades you want.
GoldGhost
Rep:
?
(Original post by saraw26)
My teachers say now (October half term), but I guess it depends from person to person. I'm just doing steady revision until Christmas, and then will increase it from there.

Good luck with yours
Thanks all! I am going to do some steady revision, but I mainly need to concentrate on writing and or typing up notes. I still have a couple of controlled assessments to do. I think I will start this week to start typing up notes and gradually do that as I go along.

Edit: I have triple science and additional maths :-)
CheekyGeeky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say start about now, just doing a bit at the weekends like making flashcards or powerpoint slides on a lesson you've just had. This way you're consolidating and the work you do now can be used for extra revision nearer the exams.

I need to start doing that for science... I have 9 science exams in the summer so I can get triple science :O #stressed

Good luck with revision
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for summer exams i start proper revision in February half term, i did this for AS and GCSE's. but during a levels i rewrote notes to keep things fresh in my mind throughout the entire year
GoldGhost
Rep:
?
(Original post by tgwktm)
for summer exams i start proper revision in February half term, i did this for AS and GCSE's. but during a levels i rewrote notes to keep things fresh in my mind throughout the entire year
If you don't mind me asking what were your results?
Ben Kenobi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A month before exams.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for GCSE i got A*A*AAAAABB and distinction
for AS I got AABC
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
October?! I started a couple of days before my exams. Though admittedly I didn't do amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
economicsrocks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel so sorry for you guys, your year has so much pressure!

I'm in the year above you, and I was doing an AS alongside. I started revising in January for the AS, and February (4 months before) for GCSEs.

However, since you have a lot more exams, I suggest early-mid January. Start off light, i.e. recapping notes from textbooks and classbooks, then become more intensive with past papers.

If you are doing AQA science, use mygcsescience on youtube!

I strongly suggest using lots of different types of resources. As nerdy as it sounds, if you haven't already, make an account on getrevising.

And one more tip: I recommend gathering resources now-ish. This includes past papers, online summaries, websites, activities to enhance your learning etc. If you need help with this, or you want some resources, ask me since I have loads from last year!

Good luck, and remember not to panic!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Okkefac
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Woahh it's only October. I did my GCSEs last year so I didn't have linear, but still, October seems way too early to start revising for exams. I'd suggest maybe January you should start? Then by April you should be revising quite a lot. I think I started my revision in April (although most of it was directed at the sciences since they're my A levels). Also find out your strengths and weaknesses, some subjects for some people require very little revision (I didn't revise for maths at all because I had done a lot of past papers in lessons- plus it was my best subject) so make sure to only revise what you don't know. So I guess like a few months before your first exam. For my January modules (which you obviously no longer had) I revised in like...the last month XD. GCSEs some people can get away with less revision than others, good luck!
Peaches and Cream
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I started revision when revising for my mocks - so over the Christmas holidays. Lots of people didn't bother, but I'd really, really recommend it because:

• If you do thorough revision, it's really rewarding, as you will do well.
  • It's easier to identify gaps in your knowledge, whereas if you didn't revise, you won;t know specific points of weakness.
  • It makes revision for your actual GCSEs much easier; I remembered a lot from my mocks revision when it came to real, hardcore revision.

Then, I started light revision for the real deal after February half-term, and hardcore revision began in Easter and continued until my last exam.

Good luck guys, you all have the capability to do really well, and remember hard work always pays off.

(I did 9 IGCSEs and 1 GCSE - all my exams were linear.)
Reiss64
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha! GCSE's? Try a week before the exam!
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh I think. All you need to do to revise an exam is revise after lesson. Example if you do simultaneous equations revise it the day after school you do it .

Try that for every subject its better then revising a week before the test atleast if you do this all you would need to do is revise a tiny bit and or do past papers
GoldGhost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reiss64)
Haha! GCSE's? Try a week before the exam!
How did that work for you? Did you come out with all A*'s?
Scratchyjam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what a joke

why on earth would you need to start this early for GSCEs? there is not enough content to justify starting revision like 7 months before your exams. i didn't even start revising for A-levels at most a month before

just pay attention every lesson, take decent notes, do the homework and if you're not feeling confident, start revision a couple of weeks/month before your exams

enjoy the leisure of GSCEs while they last.
GoldGhost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scratchyjam)
what a joke

why on earth would you need to start this early for GSCEs? there is not enough content to justify starting revision like 7 months before your exams. i didn't even start revising for A-levels at most a month before

just pay attention every lesson, take decent notes, do the homework and if you're not feeling confident, start revision a couple of weeks/month before your exams

enjoy the leisure of GSCEs while they last.

Thinking about it, October does seem quite a bit excessive
JPL9457
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
seriously, GCSEs aren't that hard. don't bother starting to revise so early. to be safe though, start revising around the easter holidays (that is when i started to revise, and for the unit 3 sciences tests, i averaged 99% ums, and they are supposed to be the hardest of the three units you do for the triple sciences. and i wouldnt say i am clever, i didnt get all A*s)
Scratchyjam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[/B]

Thinking about it, October does seem quite a bit excessive
Definitely mate

The risk is that you might burn out by exam season, which is so annoying

I'd recommend printing off specifications for all your subjects, having a look through them to see if you've got any gaps in your knowledge or if there are any particular topics to work on and, if there are, do some work on them

Then just work hard in lessons, do all the homework and if there are bits you lack confidence on, work on them

No need to start full on revision till later on. Just have a good laugh at school and then pelt out the heavy revision when necessary

Your call though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads