This discussion is closed.
katiecharlwood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Does anyone know a good way of remembering all those annoying simple equations you need to know for physics gcse (units 1-3)? Every time I do practise questions I forget what equations I need to use :L
Tibbz2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From what I remember you don't need to know them, as they're given at the start of the exam?

Unless certain boards don't do that?
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just make up silly little mnemonics (or however you say it) for each one... I remember having 'Sid drinks tea' for speed=distance/time and something about fire making apples for F=ma, I'm sure you can come up with some others, or better ones!

Posted from TSR Mobile
katiecharlwood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tibbz2)
From what I remember you don't need to know them, as they're given at the start of the exam?

I think some of them are, but others (that are really simple) I don't think are on the equation sheet and because they're so simple, I forget them a week after being taught/ revising them.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most are provided.
katiecharlwood
Rep:
?
(Original post by furryface12)
Just make up silly little mnemonics (or however you say it) for each one... I remember having 'Sid drinks tea' for speed=distance/time and something about fire making apples for F=ma, I'm sure you can come up with some others, or better ones!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers, I've never tried using mnemonics before for remembering things but I suppose I should give it a go
furryface12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katiecharlwood)
Cheers, I've never tried using mnemonics before for remembering things but I suppose I should give it a go
Most have never really worked for me, but that and a couple of others really seem to (such as Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain for colours or Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle in music)

As for whether they are provided or not, I was always told they would be if we actually needed to use them in a question such as for a calculation, but in reality I found that if I knew the equations then I could use them a lot in the written questions to explain things, which gained me a lot of marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tibbz2)

Physics exams I had last year had equations that had nothing to do with the test at the front
School_hater1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The exams are changing as of 2016, now you have to memorize everything, they don't give us anything !
Starlight2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by katiecharlwood)
Does anyone know a good way of remembering all those annoying simple equations you need to know for physics gcse (units 1-3)? Every time I do practise questions I forget what equations I need to use :L
You don't really need to learn them off by heart because you'll have the formulae sheet in the 1st page of the exam papers
Starlight2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh wait I'm sorry I forgot the spec changed. I'd say just practise questions that the individual equations r used in- keep on doing it and your brain will be trained enough to recall them- I know they've made things harder but it shouldn't be so hard as long as you practise hard
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Rather than just memorising formulae, understand and apply how they are derived and then the formula will come to you. Thats how I do it (and what Ofqual hoped people would do when they got rid of the Formulae sheet)

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol.yolo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BobBobson)
Rather than just memorising formulae, understand and apply how they are derived and then the formula will come to you. Thats how I do it (and what Ofqual hoped people would do when they got rid of the Formulae sheet)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well then Ofqual did a bad job.

As for learning them, there are some good songs on YouTube.
Sasaki Haise
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Find the equations you aren't good at and find questions for them and test your self with that formula
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lol.yolo)
Well then Ofqual did a bad job.

As for learning them, there are some good songs on YouTube.
Well done for reviving a 2 year old thread.

Doing enough past paper questions gets them ingrained in your head tbh. I could probably recite at least 3/4 of my alevel physics equations AND data.
MimiElf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is what's made me learn them: https://app.senecalearning.com/class...f-1d3ab5012291
teaches them and tests on them!
furryface12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Going to close this thread as it's five years old, feel free to make a new one if you want to though anyone
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.24%
I'm not sure (33)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.1%

Watched Threads