Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I wanna kno

Posted from TSR Mobile
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, everyone has their own accent, there is no "normal" accent just like there's no "British" accent. People with RP (received pronunciation, think private school kids) are what most people would say is "unaccented" but they still have an accent.
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everyone thinks that their accent isn't an accent. But it is. By definition we all speak in a certain way depending on our environment. Even the Queen has an accent. It's called RP (or "posh").
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It kinda irks me a bit whenever people say that someone "doesn't have an accent". Like, what does that mean? Surely everyone who speaks has an accent? If what they really mean is "different accent", then why not just say that?
RedArrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
It kinda irks me a bit whenever people say that someone "doesn't have an accent". Like, what does that mean? Surely everyone who speaks has an accent? If what they really mean is "different accent", then why not just say that?
So is there any such thing as an original accent?? lousy wordings; can't think of anything apt atm =p

Posted from TSR Mobile
GabTR
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
South-African accent Based on the fact that people from their own nationality/location don't think that they have an accent, I get mistaken for coming from so many different countries. So based on that logic, the South-African accent
Autistic Merit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RedArrow)
So is there any such thing as an original accent?? lousy wordings; can't think of anything apt atm =p

Posted from TSR Mobile
By that do you mean the accent of the original homo sapiens? There is no standard 'British' accent if that's what you mean.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
I didn't used to think I had an accent, but apparently I do :erm:
TheHolubowskyj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People say that I don't really have one, I'm surrounded by people from all different countries in an international environment. I say some things in a slightly american way and some things slightly british, but overall I don't really have one. I don't think you can get total accentlessness though.
Politricks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by skd1996)
being from sussex, I think we don't have an accent
No, you do have an accent.
Politricks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
By that do you mean the accent of the original homo sapiens? There is no standard 'British' accent if that's what you mean.
What do you mean by 'original' Homo sapiens?

You are also an 'original' Homo sapien.
KingGoonIan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Geordie is normal, everyone else is strange.
skd1996
Badges: 17
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Politricks)
No, you do have an accent.
But we sound plain and boring? And the further north you go to stronger accents get?
username1002982
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheHolubowskyj)
People say that I don't really have one, I'm surrounded by people from all different countries in an international environment. I say some things in a slightly american way and some things slightly british, but overall I don't really have one. I don't think you can get total accentlessness though.
Nah you have an accent, it's just one which can't be traced to a specific place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Politricks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But we sound plain and boring? And the further north you go to stronger accents get?
Everybody thinks they sound 'plain' and 'boring' because they've been stuck with that accent their whole lives.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's entirely possible for a person to have an accent that gives nothing away, since accents are typically indicators of background (region of origin and social class).
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheHolubowskyj)
Ah but you have your own accent. My accent is a mix of posh south england, glaswegian, canadian and a wee bit of midlands...just because it doesn't fit a typical accent label doesn't mean it's not an accent.
skd1996
Badges: 17
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Ah but you have your own accent. My accent is a mix of posh south england, glaswegian, canadian and a wee bit of midlands...just because it doesn't fit a typical accent label doesn't mean it's not an accent.
South England voices aren't posh!
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
South England voices aren't posh!
Depends what you define as south, trust me, where I'm from the accents are posh. Typical "tory" "private school" kinda accent.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Surely most people think their own accent is normal and unaccented? A lot of people say that mine's pretty neutral, but I think it's just such a random mix of everything that they just can't pinpoint one :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (12)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.87%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.62%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.25%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads