Invisible_me
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey I am currently in year 12 and thinking about studying psychology at uni, problem is is that i'm not actually taking psychology for a-level as my school doesn't offer it ( I know this won't disadvantage me ). Therefore I do not really know that much about the subject, other than a few bits I have read up on it .

Recently I read the book below, and although it was very informative it wasn't the most interesting book due to the fact it was so broad, but I can see the potential for me to be enjoy studying it.

Can anyone recommend any books for starters that would allow me to see if I actually have a genuine interest in the subject

Thanks

Spoiler:
Show
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I read Nature via Nurture by Matt Ridley and absolutely loved it. I found it so interesting and I've read it 3 times but will read it again as it covers so much. It definitely confirmed that Psychology was the right course for me so maybe it'll do the same for you (or you could hate it and know that psychology isn't for you ).
Invisible_me
Rep:
?
(Original post by x__justmyluck)
I read Nature via Nurture by Matt Ridley and absolutely loved it. I found it so interesting and I've read it 3 times but will read it again as it covers so much. It definitely confirmed that Psychology was the right course for me so maybe it'll do the same for you (or you could hate it and no that psychology isn't for you ).

thankyou ! it looks really interesting, I shall check it out
Alien41
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Check out some of the stuff by Steven Pinker which is interesting I think!

You could always pick up a psychology textbook and have a read to find out what topics interest you the most and go from there!
You could also subscribe to the psychologist magazine by the bps or follow their blog for free. On the blog they have hyperlinks to articles for further reading which I've found very useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Invisible_me
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alien41)
Check out some of the stuff by Steven Pinker which is interesting I think!

You could always pick up a psychology textbook and have a read to find out what topics interest you the most and go from there!
You could also subscribe to the psychologist magazine by the bps or follow their blog for free. On the blog they have hyperlinks to articles for further reading which I've found very useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Human-Mi...rds=human+mind

It isn't written by a psychologist though, i really enjoyed it!
Theodoore
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Psychology A Student's Handbook by Michael Eysenck is essential reading. You will thank me later.
gustavus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

Would start subscribing to psychology digest (don't recall exact name) -its free! Run by Christian jarrett. Lots of current info on psychology studies.

Any books by oliver sacks - eg the man who mistook his wife for a hat.

Why love matters- Sue Gerhart. Child development

Irrationality - sutherland (cognitive)

Thinking fast and slow-daniel kahneman. (cognitive)

Anything by Dorothy Rowe writes a lot on mental health.

Bad science-ben goldacre-fab book about how we are misled by bad research/or bad reporting..

The boy who couldn't stop washing-rappoport. An old, but interesting book about OCD.

Anything by Simon baron-cohen-writes a lot on autism spectrum disorders (asd) and gender difference

Delusions of gender - cordelia fine (neuroscience)

The invisible gorilla-chabris. (perception /decision making)

Anything by Steven pinker-language

Anything by Paul broks - neuropsychology /neuroscience

Good luck!
Have fun!

Gus
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's stuff here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1353596
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.32%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (100)
27.93%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.41%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.07%

Watched Threads