Gravity Watch

silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Who's watching this?
It looks epic and has done very well in the States. Glowing reviews everywhere. Film of the year? Best actress? We'll find out soon.
James Cameron (T1/T2, Avatar, Aliens) says it's "the best space movie ever done" and visually stunning.

I'm all booked up to watch it at the Giant Screen.
If you have an IMAX near you, go watch it there!

Name:  OR_Gravity 2012 movie Wallpaper 1280x1024.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  255.6 KB
Problematique
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cannot wait
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Looks far too much like Moon for me.
silent ninja
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
Looks far too much like Moon for me.
In what way? It looks nothing like Moon to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
In what way? It looks nothing like Moon to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A film set in the final frontier coping with loneliness when things go wrong etc.
Apparently it's just one endless action sequence (Gravity)
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
A film set in the final frontier coping with loneliness when things go wrong etc.
Apparently it's just one endless action sequence (Gravity)
So space is the only similarity.

i.e. nothing like Moon.
silent ninja
Rep:
?
(Original post by zjs)

i.e. nothing like Moon.
Just what I was thinking.

Moon has little to do with loneliness really. It's more about the cost of advancement (how far would we go?), the shady workings of some corporations, exploitation of a person, the science of life/ethics, what it means to be an individual. It's a true sci-fi film because it about ideas and concepts.

Spoiler:
Show
The loneliness is just the day to day life of the main character and isn't really what the story is about. It shows you what kind of person he is, his personality, his hobbies/interests, before stuff is revealed later which might make you consider him a 'thing' rather than a person. I guess if they didn't show his mundane life you wouldn't connect with him at all

My opinion of course.
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Meh, looks like a film that concentrates far too much on visuals and not much else but I will still probably see it (I have a Cineworld Unlimited card so I might as well).
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just what I was thinking.

Moon has little to do with loneliness really. It's more about the cost of advancement (how far would we go?), the shady workings of some corporations, exploitation of a person, the science of life/ethics, what it means to be an individual. It's a true sci-fi film because it about ideas and concepts.
To me loneliness was the main theme, as the only other character is a robot. Even when the other characters turn up, he's still only by himself and it's odd that he's alone with other people.

(Original post by zjs)

i.e. nothing like Moon.
apart from the rest of the sentence.
Plato's Trousers
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Who's watching this?
It looks epic and has done very well in the States. Glowing reviews everywhere. Film of the year? Best actress? We'll find out soon.
James Cameron (T1/T2, Avatar, Aliens) says it's "the best space movie ever done" and visually stunning.

I'm all booked up to watch it at the Giant Screen.
If you have an IMAX near you, go watch it there!

Name:  OR_Gravity 2012 movie Wallpaper 1280x1024.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  255.6 KB
Yes. Really looking forward to this one
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Reviews are coming in thick and fast. It's frankly killing it on metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/gravity/critic-reviews

Sent from my HTC One
Plato's Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have just booked my ticket at the BFI IMAX for Friday!

Absurdly excited!!

:woo:
silent ninja
Rep:
?
^lucky you. London is too far for me.

Giant Screen Birmingham tomorrow!! I will post a quick review with no spoilers.

Sent from my HTC One
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Just got back from watching it. SPOILER FREE:
Earth and space never looked so beautiful. The special effects were ground breaking in my opinion. The space stations too looked amazing. This is definitely a visual treat from the opening scene where you see a little body circling a station with an epic Earth in the background. The debris is spectacular.

The story is pretty simple and Sandra Bullock is great in the leading role. The best way I can describe the film is as an intimate, small film made on an epic scale. It remains grounded throughout.

Don't expect a big action piece blockbuster and you won't be disappointed. You have to watch this on the biggest 3D screen you can find. Find an Imax and go there. You will be very glad you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prandtl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Excited for this but don't know if I can bring myself to see it in 3D..
Plato's Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just come back from seeing it in 3D IMAX. (Never been to an IMAX before, is it always that blurry? Very unimpressed with the cinematography.

Special effects, on the other hand, are incredible! I am completely mystified by how they managed to do that in normal gravity. They got Newton's laws of motion spot on; can't fault the physics at all (well, apart from one bit, but that would be a spoiler).

Love Sandra Bullock (I'll watch her in anything). Could have done without Clooney though who faxed in his "performance" as usual. When will he ever try acting a character instead of just being George Clooney?

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I expected to. For me it was ruined by an absurdly implausible ending.

Oh well,

7.5 out of 10
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Kermode review

Sent from my HTC One
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Gotta say I'm pretty excited to go watch this today :eek:
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
had a choice between this, and captian phillips tonight..

Chose captain phillips.. and dont regret it for one second, bets film ive seen in years - just so so intense.

Will see gravity later in the week, I have avodied all reviews and previews, so I have no idea what to think.. but I am exepcting a beautiful film, but one lacking a tiny bit in substance (which is cool for me.. I love a good beautiful space film)
Plato's Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
had a choice between this, and captian phillips tonight..

Chose captain phillips.. and dont regret it for one second, bets film ive seen in years - just so so intense.

Will see gravity later in the week, I have avodied all reviews and previews, so I have no idea what to think.. but I am exepcting a beautiful film, but one lacking a tiny bit in substance (which is cool for me.. I love a good beautiful space film)
Captain Phillips is definitely the better film. But don't miss Gravity. It's a pretty special experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (290)
60.42%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.79%
No- I want it (132)
27.5%
No- I don't want it (35)
7.29%

Watched Threads