The Student Room Group

Will my PS be relevant to both of my chosen courses?

I am applying for BA American History at UEA and BA American Studies and History at Kent, Leicester and Keele. I have wrote my PS geared towards my top choice (UEA) and have talked exclusively about my passion for American history. I am worried that my PS is not applicable to the latter course of AS and History because this course involves a variety of subjects (inc. literature). I have talked about my A level English literature course in my PS, but only how it relates to American history. Will my PS still be relevant to the universities offering the joint honours course? I believe Kent calls their course BA American Studies (History) when in fact it is just American history.

Also, I am predicted ABC (the C will not be put up because of my bitch of an English literature teacher; she said she would predict me B/C... if that's even possible?). I am wondering if the universities will give me an offer because of my predictions. My AS grades were ACC (the C in politics is one mark off of a B, so I am retaking Unit 2 in May; I got an A in Unit 1).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It sounds as if your PS should be ok. You're predictions will be ok as long as you're applying to ABB/ABC or lower unis!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ross95
It sounds as if your PS should be ok. You're predictions will be ok as long as you're applying to ABB/ABC or lower unis!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops... Forgot to mention the entry requirements:

UEA - ABB
Kent - ABB
Leicester - ABB
Keele - BBB

Thinking of applying to Sussex (AAB-ABB) to see if I get an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by GG306
Oops... Forgot to mention the entry requirements:

UEA - ABB
Kent - ABB
Leicester - ABB
Keele - BBB

Thinking of applying to Sussex (AAB-ABB) to see if I get an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your choices seem realistic, but regarding ACC As levels to ABB offer is a bit of a jump - you might want another BBB insurance as well as Keele.
Don't worry too much about your personal statement. I too directed mine towards my first choice, but I received an offer the other day for a course I was worried I wouldn't get an offer for because of it. As long as they have similar grounding, you should be absolutely fine :smile:

As for your predictions, I think you still have a good chance of getting the offers from ABB unis. I think it's a bit unfair you're not predicted ABB, and I'm sure universities will still consider you as they'll obviously see your AS grades. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ross95
Your choices seem realistic, but regarding ACC As levels to ABB offer is a bit of a jump - you might want another BBB insurance as well as Keele.

Both Cs were close to the B grade boundary (politics was 1 mark off and I am re-sitting a unit).

No universities that I would like to go to offer BA American History or BA American Studies and History at BBB.

Original post by Lucy96
Don't worry too much about your personal statement. I too directed mine towards my first choice, but I received an offer the other day for a course I was worried I wouldn't get an offer for because of it. As long as they have similar grounding, you should be absolutely fine :smile:

As for your predictions, I think you still have a good chance of getting the offers from ABB unis. I think it's a bit unfair you're not predicted ABB, and I'm sure universities will still consider you as they'll obviously see your AS grades. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am predicted ABC, so not far off. I think I'm predicted an A in history; we haven't been told.
Reply 6
Original post by GG306
Both Cs were close to the B grade boundary (politics was 1 mark off and I am re-sitting a unit).

No universities that I would like to go to offer BA American History or BA American Studies and History at BBB.

You should be OK then, make sure it's properly explained in your reference! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ross95
You should be OK then, make sure it's properly explained in your reference! :smile:

Is that the tutor reference? If so, then I will when I get back to college :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by GG306
Is that the tutor reference? If so, then I will when I get back to college :smile:

Yeah, get your teacher to mention that you were very close to the grade boundary and that you're resitting an exam :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ross95
Yeah, get your teacher to mention that you were very close to the grade boundary and that you're resitting an exam :smile:

I forgot to mention that the BA American Studies and History is a joint honours. I have only talked about American history in my PS and talked about how my other A level subjects relate to America. I have talked about the Cold War, which isn't strictly American history but I feel I should add some more non-American history stuff - what would you advise? I am over the word limit as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by GG306
I forgot to mention that the BA American Studies and History is a joint honours. I have only talked about American history in my PS and talked about how my other A level subjects relate to America. I have talked about the Cold War, which isn't strictly American history but I feel I should add some more non-American history stuff - what would you advise? I am over the word limit as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talking about American history only is fine. (Since its a massive topic as it is and obviously interests you significantly)
Adding the cold war is pretty good as well.

Just keep working on cutting your PS to fit the boundaries ^^

(Someone in my year did something similar where for 1 paragraph he talked about 2 American history books about the American Gangsters stuff and in another Paragraph talked about Videos/Lectures/An Essay Competition about the racial segregation. I think he so far got an offer from Southampton and somewhere like Bristol!)
Reply 11
Original post by GG306

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should use the PS help service on TSR!
Reply 12
Original post by Jkizer
Talking about American history only is fine. (Since its a massive topic as it is and obviously interests you significantly)
Adding the cold war is pretty good as well.

Just keep working on cutting your PS to fit the boundaries ^^

(Someone in my year did something similar where for 1 paragraph he talked about 2 American history books about the American Gangsters stuff and in another Paragraph talked about Videos/Lectures/An Essay Competition about the racial segregation. I think he so far got an offer from Southampton and somewhere like Bristol!)

Since I dislike Essex after visiting for an open day, I have decided to apply to Nottingham for BA American and Canadian, Literature, History and Culture. Do you think that my PS (which explains my love of American history, with very little about my interest in literature) will still be applicable?
Reply 13
Original post by GG306
Since I dislike Essex after visiting for an open day, I have decided to apply to Nottingham for BA American and Canadian, Literature, History and Culture. Do you think that my PS (which explains my love of American history, with very little about my interest in literature) will still be applicable?

I think it will still be fine, since Canadian history etc is very vague and is very unlikely any 17 year old will know / learnt too much on it, due to lack of resources.
Reply 14
Original post by Jkizer
I think it will still be fine, since Canadian history etc is very vague and is very unlikely any 17 year old will know / learnt too much on it, due to lack of resources.

I was referring more to the fact my PS centres more around history than literature. Would focusing on history in my PS be detrimental to my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually problems with statements arise when you are applying for vastly different subjects. For example English literature and engineering. Generally, if both subjects are in the same school (or to a lesser extent faculty) it is fine.

There isn't much of a problem here. American history and history very related subjects. Indeed, you will likely have a chance to do a lot of american history modules on a normal history degree. Just remember that America = southern Argentina to northern Canada. It isn't just the USA which many people confuse it with. I'm sure you already knew that, but just in case.
Reply 16
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Usually problems with statements arise when you are applying for vastly different subjects. For example English literature and engineering. Generally, if both subjects are in the same school (or to a lesser extent faculty) it is fine.

There isn't much of a problem here. American history and history very related subjects. Indeed, you will likely have a chance to do a lot of american history modules on a normal history degree. Just remember that America = southern Argentina to northern Canada. It isn't just the USA which many people confuse it with. I'm sure you already knew that, but just in case.

That's the case for Notts but all the others focus on the US :smile: You can still focus on the US at Notts, though. Would you say my PS focusing on history, when I am applying to courses with a large literature content, will be OK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GG306
That's the case for Notts but all the others focus on the US :smile: You can still focus on the US at Notts, though. Would you say my PS focusing on history, when I am applying to courses with a large literature content, will be OK?

Yeah should be fine. You'll likely have modules on history of arts such as literature anyway, so not much of an issue. You can always work it in by stating you have a general enthusiasm with the history and perhaps that is due to reading literature by the likes of Steinbeck or even Cormac McCarthy if you were to talk about more recent writers, who's work is often set in historical North America. For example some of McCarthy's work is based in the 1800s.
Reply 18
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Yeah should be fine. You'll likely have modules on history of arts such as literature anyway, so not much of an issue. You can always work it in by stating you have a general enthusiasm with the history and perhaps that is due to reading literature by the likes of Steinbeck or even Cormac McCarthy if you were to talk about more recent writers, who's work is often set in historical North America. For example some of McCarthy's work is based in the 1800s.

Good idea! I absolutely loved 'Of Mice and Men' and could work that into my great interest in the Depression. I have done something similar with 'The Great Gatsby', so maybe I don't need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GG306
Good idea! I absolutely loved 'Of Mice and Men' and could work that into my great interest in the Depression. I have done something similar with 'The Great Gatsby', so maybe I don't need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great as OM&M is, it's very much THE GCSE text that everyone has done, so go for something else by him. Try The Grapes of Wrath.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending