The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Magnesium sulphate is for boils and ingrown nails and things, you can get it in boots. Maybe that might help to draw out crap?
Reply 2
amputation job im afraid :p:

go to your doctors and get some anti biotics, im not sure if your supposed to drain them or not, id say leave it alone but thats just a guess
Reply 3
antibiotics for a sore finger!?!?! Have you heard "Don't Wear Me Out?"
Reply 4
blissy
antibiotics for a sore finger!?!?! Have you heard "Don't Wear Me Out?"

she said it was infected and seeping puss so yes. and no never :confused:
Reply 5
its only a finger tho... i used to get that when i was a kid coz i used to bite my nails too far down and get my fingers infected then it wud go all pussy...
my mam used to buy that sudocrem stuff and put it in a plaster so it would get abit soggy, leave it in the plaster with some antiseptic creme on and change it once or twice a day depending on how u feel... until its better... generally when u leave it over night in the plaster the puss gets drawn out and ur left with a puss-less but sore finger... make sure u keep putting creme on tho!!!!
Reply 6
I don't really think what can be described as a gammy finger on a young person needs antibiotics. Maybe if they're a pensioner laid up in bed, with a serious immune system issues I could understand it.

"Don't Wear Me Out" was a government campaign showing a little pill shaking his finger and telling everyone to stop using antibiotics unless strictly necessary. Thankfully as far as I know (in mine and my mum's knowledge) I've never needed to have anitbiotics! When I was younger I got an infected finger (that went green all over!) from giant hogweed (a toxic plant apparently) and was told to use magnesium sulphate and keep letting out the pus by using a needle.

I agree with the plaster idea, but my weapon of choice would be savlon or germolene :cool:

Keep going with the home remedies, if it gets a lot worse then make an appointment with the nurse (most surgeries allow you to make appointments with nurses as well as doctors) to give you some advice.
Reply 7
Thanks will try a plaster with savlon cream in tonight, and get magnesium sulphate stuff tomorrow!
blissy
Thankfully as far as I know (in mine and my mum's knowledge) I've never needed to have anitbiotics!

well done. but all your suffering without antibiotics is to no avail if others use them when they're not needed - you're as likely to catch the resistant bug as someone who pops the antibiotics on a daily basis :smile:
Reply 9
umm, i would suggest actually showing the finger to your pharmacist really, seems to make sense since they've seen that sorta stuff before, so know what they are talking about and would advise you on the best course of action to take, seeing as i work in a chemist, i wouldn't start recommending anything without first looking at the finger, sudocrem is okay for tonight, i think, but i would check with a pharmacist tommoz for definite
I'd an infection in my wee finger not so long ago only it just kept getting bigger and bigger - and no pus was seeping out. After about a week, the pain became unbearable. I saw my doctor who gave me anti-biotics which did nothing. I then went to casualty where they cut open my finger to drain the pus and gave me strong anti-biotics. The doctor from casualty rang a few days later to make sure the infection was staying away as it had been a pretty serious one.

Go get it checked out.
Reply 11
saoirse
REALLY freaking sore round the edge of my nail, v pink and swollen...does anyone know a poultice or anythin i could try to draw the pus out??

Go to your GP. My dad almost got two fingers amputated after an infection, but luckily he responded very well to intravenous antibiotics and it wasn't necessary. Its probably allright, but go see a doc just in case. Infected wounds can be quite nasty if you're not careful with them.
Reply 12
big ballon like swelling on the end of ur finger?, slightly green? Leave it. Your body will take care of it. You can pop it if you want with a steroilised needle. That will get all the lovely puss out. Then apply TCP on a bit of tissue. Thinking back to wen that happened to me, its a ****ing pain in the arse to have tht on ur finger, I feel ur pain.
Reply 13
Soak your finger in warm salty water. Its what they suggest for sore toes, its probabily the cheapest thing you could use too.
Reply 14
The person who said magnesium sulphate is talking sense: that will draw the pus to the surface, then you can either squeeze it or pop it with a sterilised needle. You get the sulphate paste in little tubs from the pharmacy: just smear it on the inside of a large plaster or dressing and then put it on the finger. Change it once a day or so. When my middle finger got infected, it took about 4 days for the infection to rise to the surface and about a week more for the finger to be totally back to normal. If it doesn't work, or is taking ages, then go see your GP, but in the meantime I think this method will work. Good luck!
Reply 15
Glory
Soak your finger in warm salty water. Its what they suggest for sore toes, its probabily the cheapest thing you could use too.

I always do this when I get infected fingers or toes. Or make it into a poultice by soaking some cotton wool in water with loads of salt disolved in it. Make sure the water's as hot as you can stand it and apply it to your infected area and bandage it and keep changing regularly, brings the gunk right out.
Piglet384
I always do this when I get infected fingers or toes. Or make it into a poultice by soaking some cotton wool in water with loads of salt disolved in it. Make sure the water's as hot as you can stand it and apply it to your infected area and bandage it and keep changing regularly, brings the gunk right out.

:ditto: it doesnt sound serious. wouldnt bother with the bandage. just press it on till it cools then re-apply aother hot one.
Reply 17
We want pictures :wink:
Reply 18
high priestess fnord
:ditto: it doesnt sound serious. wouldnt bother with the bandage. just press it on till it cools then re-apply aother hot one.

Only suggested a bandage cos I know how quickly I get bored holding the cotton wool on :smile: Plus it means you don't have to change it every 20 minutes or so when it goes cold.
i get them allthe time when i bite my nail... it will clear up in about a week

Latest