The Student Room Group

Sixth Form- my options?

So up until now I kinda always just assumed I'd stay at my school's sixth form and roll on from there, but I'm starting to realise that probably isn't the best option for me.

I really don't want to sound arrogant but those that know me know that I'm not exactly stupid. I am in Year 10, am predicted all A/A*s and am currently doing an A level two years early.

All I'm saying is that maybe I should be looking for better qualifications than my comp's sixth form will provide me.

To boot, I've never been well treated due to my slightly more academic side. I've had everything from '**** off Jess, we all know you got the highest test score again' to simply being called 'Jess O'Brain' whilst being spat on.

Back to the point, I'm hardly going to enjoy my education carrying on studying with these pleasant folk and would rather attend an organisation in which my peers would instead look kindly on one's ability to complete the task at hand rather than one's ability to put on nine inches of foundation. My only friend is going to Music college in London so no one is going to miss me either.

I also like the idea of boarding as it means a full time ability to concentrate on school, as I am constantly at one; however, I unfortunately have no money to fund such an endeavour, meaning if I was to go somewhere I would have to rely on a full scholarship, which would hopefully be possible considering my grades.

But unlike my knowledge of where I want to study at university (Cambridge, potentially) I am absolutely lost on Sixth Form- I would not even know where to begin. Hence, I appeal to thee TSR to guide me in my plight and, in full consideration of the above information, provide me with some ideas?

Many thanks,

Jess

P.S. Apologies for any typos in advance :biggrin:

EDIT: I need scholarships, bursaries mean nought as my parents earn plenty of money, they just refuse to spend it on a private education for myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Look for a better Sixth Form...?
Original post by TalkingLion
Look for a better Sixth Form...?

It's the best sixth form in the area. I'm talking about more competitive sixth forms... But I have no idea how to find any- hence my asking :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christs Hospital is a boarding school which offers a lot of bursaries.

Alternatively, you could look up the a level rankings for state and/or independent schools in your local area/county.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
Christs Hospital is a boarding school which offers a lot of bursaries.

Alternatively, you could look up the a level rankings for state and/or independent schools in your local area/county.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please see my edit.

Also I would not be able to afford the daily travel to attend a college out of my area that is not boarding, and as my school is the best in my area still that is accessible on foot...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Please see my edit.

Also I would not be able to afford the daily travel to attend a college out of my area that is not boarding, and as my school is the best in my area still that is accessible on foot...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No private schools offer non needs based 100% funding as far as I know. Non needs based scolarships tend to give a maximum of 25% off.

I kind of understand private schools, but why are your parents so unwilling to provide money for public transport? (Because that's clearly the only option left)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
No private schools offer non needs based 100% funding as far as I know. Non needs based scolarships tend to give a maximum of 25% off.

I kind of understand private schools, but why are your parents so unwilling to provide money for public transport? (Because that's clearly the only option left)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't want to 'waste' the cash, no, they'd rather spend it on 30 cigs each a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't want to 'waste' the cash, no, they'd rather spend it on 30 cigs each a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, is it possible/viable for you to get a Saturday job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
Hmm, is it possible/viable for you to get a Saturday job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not allowed one. My parents don't trust me. I don't get pocket money either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not allowed one. My parents don't trust me. I don't get pocket money either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What don't they trust you with?! Surely they cannot be that unreasonable, do you have any relatives who may be willing to fund you or talk some sense into them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
What don't they trust you with?! Surely they cannot be that unreasonable, do you have any relatives who may be willing to fund you or talk some sense into them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tried talking- they think I will be 'abused' or that I will be kidnapped something ewually ridiculous.

All my family is either dead or hate us.

Guess I'm stuffed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could maybe afford £1000 a year max?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know what subject area you want to go into? Sometimes there are organisations that will fund the rest of a full scholarship (although boarding isn't usually included) :/
Original post by Being_Awesome:)
Do you know what subject area you want to go into? Sometimes there are organisations that will fund the rest of a full scholarship (although boarding isn't usually included) :/

Biochemistry... I already have work experience at Croda... Maybe if they like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biochemistry... I already have work experience at Croda... Maybe if they like me?

I don't know much about that area but if you have a private school nearby check out their website and see what there is? (Btw, I completely sympathise with you about being teased for good grades. I'm not as smart as you but compared to half the people in my school I'm practically a prodigy:P)
Original post by Being_Awesome:)
I don't know much about that area but if you have a private school nearby check out their website and see what there is? (Btw, I completely sympathise with you about being teased for good grades. I'm not as smart as you but compared to half the people in my school I'm practically a prodigy:P)

The private school nearby only offers a 10% scholarship. I think I might talk to the people at Croda about my options.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous- I never quite understood the ethos. I'm sure you're being modest- I'm not as smart as I seem. I don't know how to use a washing machine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you were to buy a bike, it would substantially increase the distance you were able to commute :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you were to buy a bike, it would substantially increase the distance you were able to commute :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cant ride a bike. I was never taught.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending