The Student Room Group

Eramus year abroad Italy or Germany - funding - please read

Hi :smile: I am currently applying for universities and want to apply for courses which offer ab initio in either Italian or German. This would mean I would spend my 2nd or 3rd year abroad as part of the Eramus scheme. However, after doing a lot of online research I am confused how my year is funded for. Neither me or my family have the type of money to pay much for my expenses for my year abroad (i.e living/accommodation costs). I understand that I get a certain amount of money each money from the Eramus scheme but that's only like £300 a month. How would I pay for my accommodation etc. Would I still get the living/maintenance grants/loans that I would normally have when I am in the UK for my year abroad? Could anyone please tell me how their year abroad was funded? how much it roughly costs? and if I would need savings/a lot of family help. Please answer, as it sounds like an amazing opportunity!
Original post by Aurora.Rose
Hi :smile: I am currently applying for universities and want to apply for courses which offer ab initio in either Italian or German. This would mean I would spend my 2nd or 3rd year abroad as part of the Eramus scheme. However, after doing a lot of online research I am confused how my year is funded for. Neither me or my family have the type of money to pay much for my expenses for my year abroad (i.e living/accommodation costs). I understand that I get a certain amount of money each money from the Eramus scheme but that's only like £300 a month. How would I pay for my accommodation etc. Would I still get the living/maintenance grants/loans that I would normally have when I am in the UK for my year abroad? Could anyone please tell me how their year abroad was funded? how much it roughly costs? and if I would need savings/a lot of family help. Please answer, as it sounds like an amazing opportunity!

Why not phone a university that offers the Erasmus scheme and check with them, as if they offer it they should know this stuff!
Reply 2
Ah I've looked at the information on the university websites and it says funding varies each year. I'm curious to know how students who have actually been on their third year abroad funded their time abroad, which is why I asked in this forum :colondollar:
Not sure about the funding you receive from uni, guess it depends on a case by case study. You should ask to unis themselves!

Consider that £300 is not worth the same anywhere in German and Italian cities... In Milan or Rome is not enough... In other cities you will pay for accommodation keeping some money in your pocket!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you qualify for a Student finance maintenance loan (and grant) you can still apply for it but you need to mention that your degree has changed (adding an extra year) and where you are planning to studying abroad (you should have already got an acceptance letter from the uni way before your student finance application). They will adjust your loan in accordance with the average living costs of the country, so if the living costs are higher than the UK you may get a little more than you normally would and vice versa. However this is only a rough guideline. Also just to keep in mind you cannot work legally in the country you are studying if you are on a student visa.

You get the same Student Funding as if you were in England as the Year Abroad is compulsory - make sure Student Finance know it's compulsory too! You ought to get more Maintenance Loan/Grant as you are given the "away" rate.
Then you get the Erasmus funding on top.
And if you do a British Council Language Assistantship you get paid for that on top of the Erasmus and SFE funding.

Rules for Work Placements are slightly different so bear that in mind. Not all work placements qualify for Erasmus funding and I believe it can change your SFE entitlement - I spent my Year Abroad in Japan and working wasn't an option so I'm afraid I don't know details about this.

To give you actual figures:-
In first/second year I got £6403 in Maintenance Loan/Grant plus £2250 in bursaries from my uni.
In third year I got £7387 in Maintenance Loan/Grant plus £1363 in bursaries from my uni.

There is also a Travel Grant which can cover some of your travel costs etc. (info on this can be hard to find but it is there!). Again, the amount of money they'll reimburse depends on parental income.
Reply 6
Original post by sophia5892
You get the same Student Funding as if you were in England as the Year Abroad is compulsory - make sure Student Finance know it's compulsory too! You ought to get more Maintenance Loan/Grant as you are given the "away" rate.
Then you get the Erasmus funding on top.
And if you do a British Council Language Assistantship you get paid for that on top of the Erasmus and SFE funding.

Rules for Work Placements are slightly different so bear that in mind. Not all work placements qualify for Erasmus funding and I believe it can change your SFE entitlement - I spent my Year Abroad in Japan and working wasn't an option so I'm afraid I don't know details about this.

To give you actual figures:-
In first/second year I got £6403 in Maintenance Loan/Grant plus £2250 in bursaries from my uni.
In third year I got £7387 in Maintenance Loan/Grant plus £1363 in bursaries from my uni.

There is also a Travel Grant which can cover some of your travel costs etc. (info on this can be hard to find but it is there!). Again, the amount of money they'll reimburse depends on parental income.

Thank you very much! this was really helpful. Can I just ask, was this enough to cover you for your year abroad or did you have to rely on savings or family help at some point? :smile:
Thank you very much! this was really helpful. Can I just ask, was this enough to cover you for your year abroad or did you have to rely on savings or family help at some point? :smile:

My case is a little different as I went to Japan, which is mega-expensive. I also did a language course in Germany and one in Montreal and although my uni paid for the language courses and accommodation, i had to pay for flights and food etc.

I would say that I could have lived off that money if necessary. However I did have savings so I did a LOT of travelling (China, South Korea, Taiwan, 2 holidays in Japan etc) and I came home from Japan during the year which was £1200 gone on flights straight away!

I would estimate that I spent around £10,000, but I am hoping to get £3500 back from the Travel Grant. And as I said, without the trip home mid year or the travel to Canada or all my holidays and luxuries, I could have managed fine.

It really is a matter of where you go and how you live. And of course, in Europe you benefit from Erasmus :smile:

Quick Reply