The Student Room Group

"Where's the support for black students?"

Reply 1
your link isn't working dude
Reply 2
Black students receive the same support as any other race. They even have their own history month and celebrations at universities on top of being part of the multicultural agenda the UK supports.
In general I'm getting tired of how black students and people are patronised to death and I find that to be slightly racist in itself. Black students get equal opportunities in every regard, and I couldn't disagree more with the sensationalist BS the papers write about this kind of thing.
It's not really news imo :pierre: Didn't read it properly but what exactly is the writer of the article wanting..some sort of special support for only black students:rolleyes: But what about some of the non-black students who are doing a lot worse are we just gonna leave them and give extra support to even the highly achieving black students just because of their race?

They need to focus on giving everyone the same opportunities e.g. if you are poor and from a disadvantaged background you should still be able to get as good an education as someone who is slightly more advantaged and have the chance to go to a good university. There should be more focus on the opportunities bit rather than trying to select out particular groups and saying only they need support whilst the rest (who also need support) are being ignored.

Once those opportunities (e.g. good education at a good school etc) have been offered it is then up to the individual to decide whether or not they are going to utilise them (e.g. working hard so they can have a choice of universities rather than no choice and then getting upset when they realise they will be studying at London Met).
(edited 10 years ago)
Treat everyone as individuals and stop thinking about race, group, class, whatever. That's the solution.
I had a laught at "I'm one of the lucky ones: elected to represent my university's student body, I narrowly avoided becoming a black youth unemployment statistic. "

Clearly, Rachael Eddo Lodge, is not representative of the average black youth in the country.

If she was then she would understand that unemployment has to do with failing standards at GCSE level ( which she conveniently ignores) rather than higher education.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
The problem is this. Working class parents generally have working class children.

So if black people came to this country from Jamaica to fill working class positions like bus conductors. Their children and their children's children are also likely to be working class. Some of them of course will become middle class or upper class but that would be the minority. It would gradually change over a few hundred years but it can't change in a decade. Of course if you go to Jamaica there are plenty of middle class black people.

If you tried to change it, why not change unemployed Welsh miners from working class to middle class too?

In other words they are in the same boat as unemployed Welsh miners. So they should be given an equal amount of help. Not based on "race" but on class.
Reply 8

I think the Negroes have enough support.
Reply 9
Black people need to stop blaming system and others for their non advancement. Indians and Chinese made it cos they are not only hard workers but also sorry to say this strong family background. I am in a university studying engineering and you will see Chinese and Indians make up 50% of the students and White 45-48%, while Blacks only 5-2%. That says a lot.

Blacks are generally not doing well when it comes to education and hence the stereotype they have about more violence and less education. It has improved but no where near compared to Chinese and Indians.
Reply 10
Original post by felamaslen
Treat everyone as individuals and stop thinking about race, group, class, whatever. That's the solution.

Here, here.
Reply 11
There is none for blacks, whites, or Asians. Why? Because:

''They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking.

They're not interested in that! That doesn't help them. That's against their interests. That's right! You know something? They don't want people who are smart enough to sit around the kitchen table and figure out how badly they're getting ****ed by a system that threw them overboard 30 ****ing years ago. They don't want that! Y
ou know what they want? They want Obedient Workers Obedient Workers. People who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork but just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly ****tier jobs''

- George Carlin
Reply 12

Maybe there is this perception that because Africa has a generally low IQ average that it means black people in western nations have too, it may not be the case but people may tar with the same brush in terms of stereotype.

But western educated black descent people will have a better educational background, even better is if you had a private or grammar education like trevor phillips. He's been campaigning for this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Phillips
(edited 10 years ago)
Nothing to do with race, more socio- economic status really.

Surely more support (than already exists... Which is a lot!) would become borderline positive discrimination?!
White liberals seem to view blacks as disabled.They should get the same support as every other people and I'm sure 99% of blacks here will agree with me.
The Guardian is just as bad as the Daily Mail from the articles.it writes..
Reply 16
At school I was one of the highest achievers, top of the class in most subjects yet I was forced into a special support group for black kids just because I was black.

At school there were two kids, both from the same area, both had the same life circumstances, both underachieving yet only the black one ever got any help. Why is this fair.

At school I got the strong message that it was unusual to be black and doing well a school because we were coinstantly told that we were at great risk of being failures just because we were black and every black person that did well they made a huge song and dance about it
Your link is to The guardian. The anti-white anti-British culture newspaper.
Original post by ReviseHistory
White liberals seem to view blacks as disabled.They should get the same support as every other people and I'm sure 99% of blacks here will agree with me.

They are not white liberals, they are British traitors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending