What's the difference between nitrogen fixation and ammonification?

Watch
MrLatinNerd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Until today I've always thought that nitrogen fixation was the process by which nitrogen gas in the air is converted first into nitrogen oxides, and then into nitrates, which are put in soil. But I've just had a look online, and apparently, nitrogen fixation is when N2 is converted into ammonia (NH4)! But I thought that was ammonification...

Could someone please clear up my confusion?
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MrLatinNerd)
Until today I've always thought that nitrogen fixation was the process by which nitrogen gas in the air is converted first into nitrogen oxides, and then into nitrates, which are put in soil. But I've just had a look online, and apparently, nitrogen fixation is when N2 is converted into ammonia (NH4)! But I thought that was ammonification...

This page clears all these confusions quite handsomely.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Ammonification is when the organic ammonium is converted into ammonia. Nitrogen fixing is converting nitrogen into nitrogen-containing compounds.
MrLatinNerd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
USER100895494
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
but doesn't ammonia contain nitrogen though? NH^3, so then couldn't the process of nitrogen fixation work on ammonia also by your definition?
LukeA95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by USER100895494)
but doesn't ammonia contain nitrogen though? NH^3, so then couldn't the process of nitrogen fixation work on ammonia also by your definition?
Firstly, never superscript chemical compounds. Always subscript. NH3 is how ammonia should be displayed, you will lose marks if you fail to do this.

Nitrogen fixation is the process from which ATMOSPHERIC nitrogen is processed into useful forms for plants - atmospheric nitrogen is limited in its usefulness.

This is undertaken by bacteria called diazotrophs. These bacteria contain the nitrogenase enzyme, which combined gaseous nitrogen with hydrogen, producing ammonia. The equation for this is as follows:

N2 + 3H2 --> 2NH3

Ammonification is the process by which ORGANIC nitrogen (from plant or animal waste) is converted into ammonium ions (NH4+).

Good luck... this is a tough topic, and there is a lot to remember!! Revision cards and past papers are useful for this area. Mind mapping and drawing out the cycle numerous times will also help you to remember... its all about getting that information into your hypocampus, and your long-term memory!
LukeA95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tillybop)
Ammonification is when the organic ammonium is converted into ammonia. Nitrogen fixing is converting nitrogen into nitrogen-containing compounds.
Be careful with your information. Ammonification is process - carried out by various bacteria/microorganisms - which breaks down proteins, amino acids and other nitrogenous compounds and dead and waste organic matter to form ammonia. This ammonia dissolves in the water in soil, forming ammonium ions, by combining with the hydrogen ions present in the soil. This ammonium can be oxidised into nitrites and nitrates, in the same way by which nitrogen has been fixed from the atmosphere.

Strictly speaking, ammonia is converted into ammonium, and NOT the other way around. It is important not to confuse this.
YRIF2012
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hey if you need quick help you might find this resource useful: www.thestudentsolutions.co.uk where you can ask oxbridge biology/chem/physics students directly, i found it really useful when doing my a -levels, perhaps you can find it useful too.
Manik Shukla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Listen in ammonification organic compounds are converted in to ammonia but in nitrogen fixation nitrogen gas is converted in to ammonia, both ammonification and nitrogen fixation are steps of nitrogen cycle ....Take Care most books and articles in net will confuse you but what I told is 100% correct
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads