The Student Room Group

Does Further Maths A-level cover most of Maths A-level?

I cannot decide 4 A levels that I would like to pick as I have too many to choose from. I was considering Maths,FurtherMaths,Chemistry,Physics,Biology or Computing but cannot decide 4 to pick from. Eventually I excluded Computing and started to consider the rest 5. I want, but cannot decide, a career in Engineering or Medicine. Although Further Maths is not compulsory for Engineering it will be a great asset for uni.

Question : Will Further Maths A-level along with Maths have too much additional work or will most of the spec overlap each other.

Would like to see the "further math"ers opinion towards this.

Also I completed my Maths GCSE in year 10 and achieved an A*- (If this is of any use)

Thanks for for your replies.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rifdhy
I cannot decide 4 A levels that I would like to pick as I have too many to choose from. I was considering Maths,FurtherMaths,Chemistry,Physics,Biology or Computing but cannot decide 4 to pick from. Eventually I excluded Computing and started to consider the rest 5. I want, but cannot decide, a career in Engineering or Medicine. Although Further Maths is not compulsory for Engineering it will be a great asset for uni.

Question : Will Further Maths A-level along with Maths have too much additional work or will most of the spec overlap each other.

Would like to see the "further math"ers opinion towards this.

Also I completed my Maths GCSE in year 10 and achieved an A*- (If this is of any use)

Thanks for for your replies.

Apologies if this isn't useful at all...

At the College I'm hoping to go to, anybody that does Further Maths automatically does Maths too (along with 3 other AS levels), and I'm sure this is because they think anyone that has managed to get the entry requirements for Further Maths would not struggle with both. However, I'm not entirely sure - and because I'm not currently studying it, I obviously can't help much. But I think this must sort of show that they overlap, I guess.

Hope this helps a little bit :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by _CaitlinMichaela
Apologies if this isn't useful at all...

At the College I'm hoping to go to, anybody that does Further Maths automatically does Maths too (along with 3 other AS levels), and I'm sure this is because they think anyone that has managed to get the entry requirements for Further Maths would not struggle with both. However, I'm not entirely sure - and because I'm not currently studying it, I obviously can't help much. But I think this must sort of show that they overlap, I guess.

Hope this helps a little bit :smile:

Thanks a lot that's did help a bit;I had a sense that they would overlap but thanks for confirming.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, this is my second thread and you are the first person to comment on my thread where the other thread remained unreplied.(A bit embarrassed)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You don't /have/ to have Further Maths for Engineering. If you don't know which of the two you'd like to go in to, then I'd say choose Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and Physics. This will keep your options open :smile:
Original post by Rifdhy
Thanks a lot that's did help a bit;I had a sense that they would overlap but thanks for confirming.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, this is my second thread and you are the first person to comment on my thread where the other thread remained unreplied.(A bit embarrassed)

Glad I could help, wasn't sure if that'd be useful at all :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by lubsjk
You don't /have/ to have Further Maths for Engineering. If you don't know which of the two you'd like to go in to, then I'd say choose Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and Physics. This will keep your options open :smile:

However the top Universities prefer further maths for engineering and if I want to pursue a career in engineering I will have the top Unis in mind.
How about doing 5 A levels ? Would the Further Maths be too much additional learning or just a little more to learn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rifdhy
However the top Universities prefer further maths for engineering and if I want to pursue a career in engineering I will have the top Unis in mind.
How about doing 5 A levels ? Would the Further Maths be too much additional learning or just a little more to learn?

For someone who got an A* in Maths at GCSE I really would say that you should definitely take Further Maths, as, like you say, it is what the top unis want. And it could well be the difference in getting a place at a top uni or not.

Do you mean 5 AS Levels including Maths AND Further Maths, or? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Rifdhy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, I can't say. I don't know what you're capable of, nor do I know whether or not you'll be able to handle the workload because everyone's different. If you want to do FM, then certainly go for it. If you feel that it's too much and that it's bringing down your other grades, then you can always drop it. Just remember this, AAAA looks better than ABBBC :smile:

If you put your head down and work hard, then you most likely will be able to walk out with good grades. I say you give it a shot, but drop FM if it's stopping you from reaching your full potential in your other subjects.
Reply 8
Oh, and I would also like to add that during Year 12, you'll have to get it loads of work experience for medicine. During this period, you will most likely end up deciding whether or not medicine is for you. It may help you decide on what subjects you end up carrying through to Year 13.
Reply 9
Maths and FM AS is pretty easy tbh. They don't overlap depending on the modules chosen, but A2 maths is a prerequisite to A2 FM
Reply 10
Original post by _CaitlinMichaela
For someone who got an A* in Maths at GCSE I really would say that you should definitely take Further Maths, as, like you say, it is what the top unis want. And it could well be the difference in getting a place at a top uni or not.

Do you mean 5 AS Levels including Maths AND Further Maths, or? :s-smilie:

Thanks but as my teacher said that A level Maths is different to GCSEs where you need a "flair" in maths.
And yes, by 5 A levels I mean Maths,Further Maths, Biology,Chemistry and Physics. Then I can drop one or two depending on what I want a career in later on.(Engineering or Medicine.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by lubsjk
Unfortunately, I can't say. I don't know what you're capable of, nor do I know whether or not you'll be able to handle the workload because everyone's different. If you want to do FM, then certainly go for it. If you feel that it's too much and that it's bringing down your other grades, then you can always drop it. Just remember this, AAAA looks better than ABBBC :smile:

If you put your head down and work hard, then you most likely will be able to walk out with good grades. I say you give it a shot, but drop FM if it's stopping you from reaching your full potential in your other subjects.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate your help.
As you recommended I will probably try 5 A levels but then drop one if I find one too hard or if I made my decision on medicine or Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by lubsjk
Oh, and I would also like to add that during Year 12, you'll have to get it loads of work experience for medicine. During this period, you will most likely end up deciding whether or not medicine is for you. It may help you decide on what subjects you end up carrying through to Year 13.

Thanks again,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Mike_123
Maths and FM AS is pretty easy tbh. They don't overlap depending on the modules chosen, but A2 maths is a prerequisite to A2 FM

Will Further Maths help get a better grade in Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rifdhy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, there is content overlap, so it will help you out. I'm not sure how it'll work in your sixth form, but in my sixth form if you study both maths and further maths you sit an exam in an extra module. This means if you do badly in one module, you can swap it for this extra module, boosting your grade. This is a great benefit if you study both maths and FM!
Reply 15
Original post by llamaspoon
Yes, there is content overlap, so it will help you out. I'm not sure how it'll work in your sixth form, but in my sixth form if you study both maths and further maths you sit an exam in an extra module. This means if you do badly in one module, you can swap it for this extra module, boosting your grade. This is a great benefit if you study both maths and FM!

Yay, feeling more confident in Further maths now! Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rifdhy
Thanks but as my teacher said that A level Maths is different to GCSEs where you need a "flair" in maths.
And yes, by 5 A levels I mean Maths,Further Maths, Biology,Chemistry and Physics. Then I can drop one or two depending on what I want a career in later on.(Engineering or Medicine.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in A level maths, the exams separate the kids who learn formulas from the ones who actually know how to apply them. As for 'Flair' it is more the better thinkers who do better in A level maths.
Reply 17
Original post by Rifdhy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably if it's A2 FM. You should be getting A* maths to do A2 FM. At AS it's easy to get an A if you're competent.
I was in exactly your position. I chose to do the 5 that you're considering. However I struggled with the pressure, you have to squeeze a whole extra subject into your week, that means you don't have a lot of time to de-stress and relax which believe me you'll need. You have to realise the jump from GCSE to A-level is huge! But you may be able to hack it, if you're determined and focused you can do it :smile: I have a friend that did 5 subjects and she got AAAAB although she did French instead of Further maths. The way our school did it, the further maths and maths courses didn't overlap at all, but I found the maths course incredibly easy in comparison. The 3 sciences alone take a lot of dedication so you have to be sure that you enjoy all of them or you will find the next year hell. So considering my personal experiences I would advise you to stick with the 4. Medicine is ridiculously competitive and if you're considering it the risk of taking an extra subject but not doing as well just isn't worth it. But hey, it's your decision, you know what you're capable of and it's definitely possible to do well in all 5. Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by lubsjk

Somewhat agreeable, but it's better not be in a position where you're applying for eng. without f.maths especially when you came so close to actually taking it. My school allows us to do 5 A levels, and if it's e case with your school, I suggest you take 5 AS levels, and drop accordingly if it's too much for A2. If you choose medicine, drop f.maths, so you only have an AS in it, or choosing eng. means you can drop Biology.

Quick Reply

Latest