The Student Room Group

Sims - How to get motivated to play it?

Has/is anyone feeling the same?

I'm finding it extremely difficult to become motivated at playing the Sims 3. I mean, I have pretty much all expansions back leading up to Sims Pets but every time I say 'right going to play sims' it's so daunting because it requires so much time, focus, emotion and pure effort I just cannot be bothered to suffer for that long!

I love the Sims, but sometimes, it seems too much of a chore to play!

Scroll to see replies

if it doesn't motivate you it doesn't deserve your attention, so don't bother with it. I liked the concept but the reality is endless grind, and you're just living someone's boring suburban life.

go looking for a new game that actually deserves your attention!
Reply 2
How can you not be motivated to play Sims?!
Ikr! You can't not love Sims!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Loving the irony. I used to waste hours on the Sims. So I kind of went cold turkey on it when I actually started doing real exams. :lol:
Do something to decrease the quality of your own life so you get a higher sense of satisfaction when you play The Sims successfully.
If it feels like a chore to play it, don't play it. Sometimes I love Sims but other times I'm bored of it. You could be doing more worthwhile things in your spare time instead of forcing yourself to play a game you don't want to play.

If you really want to get motivated to play it though, just think up a good, original Sim/family and story line that will keep your interest.
Surely the question should be "How can I get motivated to stop playing a game and do something productive?"

Not that there's anything wrong with games (enjoy playing them myself) but why force yourself to play a game if you won't enjoy it?
Reply 8
I used to love playing Sims. I think you can't really get into it if you're inundated with exams and things, it just distracts you from playing it. Sims just ends up being a really repetitive and grindy game.

If you like that sort of thing though, just set yourself a goal on Sims and you'll be sitting there for hours. Maybe try new things or download some mods to make it more fun.
Reply 9
You don't like sims 3. Move on.
Reply 10
[video="youtube;JPOSGVUYgVQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPOSGVUYgVQ[/video]

Now picture that I'm Steve Ballmer and yelling "The Sims 3" over and over until you go out there and play the damn game!

For those that don't understand the references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE
I used to want to play it, but every time I'd go to play it I'd think 'I'm not having fun' and leave.
Do what I did- design the characters after people in a TV show/ Film / Other game (I did Mass Effect) and it was actually hilarious, seeing events happen that would make fans cry and having pop-ups saying 'Character Badass has got a job as a postman' or something like that.
Reply 12
The original Sims was the best. :awesome:

They ruined it with The Sims 2 and 3. :sadnod:
Reply 13
Original post by Bassetts
The original Sims was the best. :awesome:

They ruined it with The Sims 2 and 3. :sadnod:

I agree, the first one was amazing but I rarely played the rest because they complicated them unnecessarily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first one was damn creepy. I used to piss my pants every time I heard a ghost rising from its grave at night. Or a burglar coming to rob my Sims blind. Or those creepy prank phonecalls you got in the middle of the night. Waiting up at night hearing those crickets chirp menacingly, knowing that that damn burglar was gonna turn up... Well it's not my fault, my Sim blew all the money on a new hot tub, it's not my fault he couldn't afford a burglar alarm. Bit of individual responsibility right? And how about that goddamn clown? One Sim would get moody and then he would never leave, just make life a living hell and...

Damn, wasn't The Sims meant to be a family-friendly game!?
Reply 15
Sims 3 is quite boring, I still play Sims 2 instead to pass the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know how you feel OP. My main reason for not being bothered sometimes is that TS3 has a load time approaching 15 minutes on my computer. I have all expansion packs except World Adventures and that new future one, so my computer struggles a bit. Running out of disk space :frown:

My most successful family ever reached its 7th generation. They were a family of ghosts. The save file got corrupted though.
Original post by Moosferatu
The first one was damn creepy. I used to piss my pants every time I heard a ghost rising from its grave at night. Or a burglar coming to rob my Sims blind. Or those creepy prank phonecalls you got in the middle of the night. Waiting up at night hearing those crickets chirp menacingly, knowing that that damn burglar was gonna turn up... Well it's not my fault, my Sim blew all the money on a new hot tub, it's not my fault he couldn't afford a burglar alarm. Bit of individual responsibility right? And how about that goddamn clown? One Sim would get moody and then he would never leave, just make life a living hell and...

Damn, wasn't The Sims meant to be a family-friendly game!?

Haha I completely agree! I played this game was about 6 (even though it was rated 7+, I was so rebellious :wink:) so I got really creeped out when a burglar came and I realised I had forgotten to buy a burglar alarm or even a telephone so I could call the police. One time I got so scared that I just deleted the family so I wouldn't have to witness the robbery...
Original post by Where'sPerry?
I know how you feel OP. My main reason for not being bothered sometimes is that TS3 has a load time approaching 15 minutes on my computer. I have all expansion packs except World Adventures and that new future one, so my computer struggles a bit. Running out of disk space :frown:

I completely agree about the loading time. I just think to myself, "Why should I play Sims when it takes 15 minutes to load when I could just play a game that loads nearly instantly?"
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I completely agree about the loading time. I just think to myself, "Why should I play Sims when it takes 15 minutes to load when I could just play a game that loads nearly instantly?"

It's so frustrating! Create A Sim is really slow for me as well. The actual game runs okay, not lightning fast, but playable at least.

Quick Reply