Whats the difference?
Side effects?
Best brand?
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whey protein is a type of protein which is extracted from whey (a by product of cheese making). Even within the category of whey there are different types such as isolate or concentrate.

Protein shakes are just a method of consuming protein and there are many different types with slightly different effects. Some contain whey others may contain other types of protein such as casein. If your interested in the different types try searching for it on the web, there is a lot of info but it isn't hard to find.

Protein is just a type of food so there aren't really side effects as such.
MonsterMorris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The best brand is maximuscle. It's usually 40 quid in the supermarkets but you can get it on Amazon for 25. There's not really any side effects apart from gaining a belly so make sure you work on cardio as well as building up muscle.
Mentally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whey protein is a protein type, that your body digests very fast, thus making it ideal as a post-workout, .. As for protein shake, its simply a recipe for e.g you wouldn't eat whey by itself, you would mix it with maybe water or milk and maybe add someother things to it, and as a result this is called a 'protein shake'.
Martha_lockett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Martha_lockett)
Whey protein and protein shakes....

Are they the same thing?

What's the difference
Water/Milk + whey protein = Protein shake

Side effects?
None. AT least nothing significant.

Best brand?
They are quite similar. Just be aware of marketing gimmicks that charge you through the roof by adding amino acids and etc in that have dubious value.

Just go on myprotein.com

Protein Whey is fine.
Martha_lockett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aoide)
Whey protein is a type of protein which is extracted from whey (a by product of cheese making). Even within the category of whey there are different types such as isolate or concentrate.

Protein shakes are just a method of consuming protein and there are many different types with slightly different effects. Some contain whey others may contain other types of protein such as casein. If your interested in the different types try searching for it on the web, there is a lot of info but it isn't hard to find.

Protein is just a type of food so there aren't really side effects as such.
What would be the difference between the typea isolate and concentrate?
Martha_lockett
Rep:
?
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
Water/Milk + whey protein = Protein shake

None. AT least nothing significant.

They are quite similar. Just be aware of marketing gimmicks that charge you through the roof by adding amino acids and etc in that have dubious value.

Just go on myprotein.com

Protein Whey is fine.
Would it be best to get whey protein with nautral ingredients then? Could you recommend any?
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would it be best to get whey protein with nautral ingredients then? Could you recommend any?
What do you mean by natural?

There is a vegan whey protein option.

If I remember correctly, it does have more protein per 100 grams.

However, I am not sure if that vegan protein is as good as a whey protein.

www.myprotein.com

Choose the Impact Whey Protein ( or the vegan whey). It should be good for a starter.

If anyone thinks that is wrong, then please respond.
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well they both come from the same source but isolate has undergone more processing. Isolate contains less carbohydrates (concentrate contains lactose which is mostly removed from isolate) and the protein is more broken down. Being already partially broken down increases the rate of uptake so it can be used by the body faster.
Martha_lockett
Rep:
?
What about the bulk powders brand? Is that any good?
Martha_lockett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aoide)
Well they both come from the same source but isolate has undergone more processing. Isolate contains less carbohydrates (concentrate contains lactose which is mostly removed from isolate) and the protein is more broken down. Being already partially broken down increases the rate of uptake so it can be used by the body faster.
Which would you say is better, isolate or the concentrate one?
KingGym
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Depends on what your doing, i.e Bulking,cutting,maintaining.
RawJoh1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Isolate is "better" in that it's more protein. Not worth the premium you pay for it though.
drummer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You ideally want Whey Protein Isolate, the Purer form of Protein Powder. Further advantages are in the filtration process where it can be filtered to the point of being lactose, carbohydrate and cholesterol free. The better alternative if you get sh**s from whey concentrate like me.

I am currently on Gold Standard which is well recognised and a favourite among many. You can get the 2kg Tub on Amazon for under £50 which is a complete steal.

Do not buy from Holland and Barrett, the 908g is sold for £40.00 which is stupidly expensive.

Do not listen to the guy who said Maxi Muscle is the best. He has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.
jonanthankent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When checking out at 'myprotein.com' use refferal code: MP22652671 for 5% off your entire first order
140BPM
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by drummer)
I am currently on Gold Standard which is well recognised and a favourite among many. You can get the 2kg Tub on Amazon for under £50 which is a complete steal.

Do not listen to the guy who said Maxi Muscle is the best. He has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.
Firstly, £50 for 2.27kg is ridiculous. Don't even bother, you can even get a 4.5kg bag of Optimum for just £10 more.

Secondly, there are side effects to protein shakes. It triggers the release of IGF-1 that is known to be damaging. I would suggest you look into it if you wanted to find out more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads