The Student Room Group

Should police wear a camera and microphone?

Poll

Should police wear a camera and microphone?

Former shadow home secretary David Davis said police should wear a small camera and microphone to record all contact with the public.

Mr Davis, writing in The Times, claimed there was a "crisis of ethics" in the service and that the controversial move would help rebuild a "decline in public trust".

His call came as three officers caught up in the row, as well as their chief constables and representatives of the police watchdog, were preparing to give evidence to MPs.

Mr Davis said: "The police put millions of innocent people under surveillance in order to catch a tiny minority of wrongdoers. Perhaps now it is time to make officers wear a camera and microphone while on duty.

"When they tried this in California, use of force by police officers dropped by two-thirds in a year. This technology could also help to defend police officers who have vexatious claims made against them.

http://news.sky.com/story/1158475/plebgate-davis-wants-police-to-wear-cameras

Amusingly only now being considered after the police have been shown to use dirty tactics not only on plebs but also against a non-plebeian over an overblown story about using the word pleb, but sounds like a good idea to me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's a great idea to use technology to gather evidence in this way. I don't really care about the Plebgate debacle, it's a great way to ensure that evidence is captured, it provides an accurate, admissible record of everything that went on and means that standards can be easily upheld. I'm surprised it hasn't become standard kit already, to be honest.
Reply 2
the police should wear cameras and microphones to protect the rights of its citizens
Reply 3
Original post by n00

Amusingly only now being considered after the police have been shown to use dirty tactics not only on plebs but also against a non-plebeian over an overblown story about using the word pleb, but sounds like a good idea to me.

Don't they already wear recording devices.
Reply 4
Original post by Jon123321

Surprisingly not, at least not widely. I really can't see any reason why though. I guess cost might be an issue but I would have thought it would save more than it would cost.
I think many would welcome it as it would be easy to prove who is being an ******* to the police.
Reply 6
Yes and no. I'd oppose them if they had to be turned on all the time, but perhaps support if they only needed to be turned on at each incident.
Reply 7
Original post by Mad Vlad
I think it's a great idea to use technology to gather evidence in this way. I don't really care about the Plebgate debacle, it's a great way to ensure that evidence is captured, it provides an accurate, admissible record of everything that went on and means that standards can be easily upheld. I'm surprised it hasn't become standard kit already, to be honest.
Which is fine until it's misused or anything that shows them in a bad light goes missing.
Just stick a GoPro on their hats. Job done. :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by Coffinman
Which is fine until it's misused or anything that shows them in a bad light goes missing.

Misused by who? And don't you think that it'd look really suspish if the recordings all just happened to go missing? Come on.
I've seen quite a few Met officers already wearing those web cam like devices on their shoulders. I don't see why they shouldn't, in a job where the accuracy of happened can affect the rest of someone's life, and with a service with a little integrity as the police service I would hope they do make them wear it.
Reply 11
Original post by Mad Vlad

I agree with this post.

No doubt a lot of people will be dead against it, but this is most definitely a case of having nothing to worry about if you don't break the law. I don't see how this infringes privacy or anything like that, so I'm for it.
Reply 12
The only problem I see is if the equipment gets damaged or otherwise isn't recording, meaning we may only have the cop's word which would seem shaky if full recordings were the norm. So I'd say yes if we had reliable enough equipment.
Original post by n00

I think it's a really good idea but then again they might feel uncomfortable making judgements they otherwise wouldn't make in fear of being criticised. In my area in particular police are accused of racism and subjectivity, this would do no favors here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Assassinn
I think it's a really good idea but then again they might feel uncomfortable making judgements they otherwise wouldn't make in fear of being criticised. In my area in particular police are accused of racism and subjectivity, this would do no favors here.

Wouldn't it be quite useful evidence in showing that they aren't racist? It guess it could lead to overly cautious behaviour, but then again they would have video evidence to back them up.
Original post by Jon123321

No, however cameras have been on some patrol cars for a few years I think. I think it is a good idea. It would remove the benefit of the doubt in most cases.
Reply 16
It's a good idea - everything would be kept above board.
Reply 17
It will essentially mean moving CCTVs everywhere a police is present. Good or bad? I suppose it can be a good thing if it is used for crime prevention as well as for removing the benefits of doubt, however it could also mean a carteblanche of a fishing expedition for evidence for some of the most minor of offences. Also might be some privacy issues to contend with.

I believe most patrol cars are already equipped with recording devices though I suppose this might depend on the police department.
Original post by doggyfizzel
with a service with a little integrity as the police service I would hope they do make them wear it.

How dare you. How many cops do you actually know? I might as well say all students are bone-idle superior twits, which would be generalising in the same way,

At the moment we do not wear them because of cost. Many tens of thousands of units would be required, plus spares, upkeep, maintenance charges, batteries and so forth.
Original post by Pittawithcheese
How dare you. How many cops do you actually know?
I dare because I base that statement on the numerous and serial high profile cases of the police service showing a complete lack of integrity at all levels, its fact not an anecdotal opinion. I don't need to know any police officers because I'm not basing that on "my mate dave who's a top bloke". As a man of the law I would hope you would also take not of fine details such of the use of the term 'police service' as an institution, not police officers as a generalisation of individuals as you have attempted to compare it to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending