If you saw someone injured on the floor, would you go up to them and help them Watch

This discussion is closed.
MoTown200
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If you saw someone injured on the floor, would you go up to them and help them

We got told about "The Bystander Effect" where no-one helps you because they see no-one else helping you, so they leave you suffering and injured, because basically people are sheep.

On 7/7 with the terrorist incident in London, there was footage of a lady walking past an injured person on the floor, because of indifference. Would you help or walk away if you experienced such a situation.
SyedaK
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would definitely help! I wouldn't care if I'm the only one
Portia1993
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd help, but then again I help anybody if possible
Did you get told about this in psychology?
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course everyone will say they'd help; that is the bystander effect! Until they're in a crowd watching someone lying on the floor you can't really say.
Ben Kenobi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes I would call an ambulance. Would not try to help them myself, due to personal safety reasons.
pane123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have helped in this situation and would do it again. I have an extremely powerful mind that defies psychology.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think there is anybody who would say they wouldn't help, but then in the situation I doubt everybody actually would. so I guess I don't know, I would have to be in the situation to see how I would react. I think I would do the right thing and help.
Emjw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would nt get involved if the person was already being seen to but of no one was around or just ignoring the person (and they weren't drunk or something) I would atleast ask them if they wanted help.
lucine.B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course! I have done before and would again! I mean if it were the other way around I would appreciate it if someone helped me. Plus the fact that I have many qualifications in first aid would entice me further to help said person because I'd hopefully know what do. And even if I didn't I could at least try out something. Tbh I really couldn't just walk away it's not in my heart to walk away from a person in need not matter gets their differences are
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. Have done previously and would do again.
Strangey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pane123)
I have helped in this situation and would do it again. I have an extremely powerful mind that defies psychology.
Hahaha, hero

But yes, everyone would say they would help - but until the situation arises, I don't think anyone can really say. It also depends on how much danger you'd put yourself into to help, as well. I'd like to think I would help someone, regardless.
Tuya
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I saw someone fell over, there was a small crowd of about 3 people helping. So instinctively, me, a friend and loads of other people walked out of their cars, etc in the middle of a road and helped until the ambulance arrived. I think this is part of the bystander effect, where if someone starts something, everybody else joins in.
Like that social experiment where about 2 guys walk into a train station and start dancing to loud music. 10 minutes later, there were about 40 people dancing, and they were just ordinary passengers waiting for the train. Love to try that Ina different context - like on the Eiffel Tower.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
I probably would be too scared, if I'm honest.
pane123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Strangey)
Hahaha, hero

But yes, everyone would say they would help - but until the situation arises, I don't think anyone can really say. It also depends on how much danger you'd put yourself into to help, as well. I'd like to think I would help someone, regardless.
You can apply this basic psychology to many areas of life.

How many times have you been on the bus, sat near someone with music blaring from their headphones? This irritates everyone else on the bus, yet nobody wants to be the one to ask them to turn their music down.

I'm not one of these idiots who 'tells people what I think', but you can't just follow the crowds and be scared of doing the right thing.
pane123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
I probably would be too scared, if I'm honest.
Scared of what? Scared someone says 'oh look at that helpful loser?'. Everybody wants to be the hero, so go ahead and take your chance.

Everyone who walks past will probably go home and think through so many fantasy 'what if I had...' situations - don't allow yourself to be one of these people.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yeah but call for help first
emobambam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes, I would.I am sick and I know what it's like to suffer
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If there were people already helping the person then I'd probally leave them to it as I can't do anything of use to an injured person. If their wasn't anyone helping yes I would try to.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pane123)
Scared of what? Scared someone says 'oh look at that helpful loser?'. Everybody wants to be the hero, so go ahead and take your chance.

Everyone who walks past will probably go home and think through so many 'what if I had...' situations - don't allow yourself to be one of these people.
I wouldn't go up to someone in front of a whole crowd.

But erm, I would if it was just me and then.
pane123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
I wouldn't go up to someone in front of a whole crowd.

But erm, I would if it was just me and then.
Do it once and you won't regret it. I know what it's like to be self-conscious, but I stopped caring a long time ago - most liberating.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (523)
59.98%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.05%
No- I want it (246)
28.21%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.77%

Watched Threads