caryswww
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I got an audition/interview for UEA today (yay!) and it said I needed one modern monologue of my own choosing, and then one from the list they provided. Has anyone got any ideas for the modern one? Even how long it has to be etc..

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If its not clear how long the modern piece should be then ask the Uni for more info - but I expect a similar length to the other pieces they've listed would probably be about right, usually 2 mins max.

It depends on your strengths what style/era etc you like - have you read/studied/seen any plays you really liked? If not, go to a big public library and just look through some play texts. You might even be able to find anthologies of audition speeches.

Make sure its relevant to your age - trying to do a piece as a 70 year old isnt a sensible move. Dont attempt an unfamiliar accent unless you can actually do it well. And try to give a contrast to your other piece - ie. not both comedy.

Suggestions - Mary Mooney in "Once a Catholic", Eliza Doolittle in "Pygmalion", Sally in "Love on the Dole", Grusha in "The Caucasian Chalk Circle", Alison in 'Look Back in Anger'.

Avoid - Victoria Wood, Alan Bennett, Samuel Beckett, and anything ‘aggressive’
Clare Banwell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Help I need Mary Mooney's monologue by tonight!!! Can anyone help me??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads