The Student Room Group

Suspected low testosterone- stubborn doctor

I'm 18, I've been having symptoms of low T for the past 3 months. Lower libido, gaining fat, losing muscle, difficulty concentrating so I got a testosterone blood test check which showed my level of total testosterone is 241 ng/dL.

According to every medical study and website out there this puts me as having a very extremely low T count but my doctor says the normal range is 30-1000 ng/dL and that I'm perfectly healthy.

He's diagnosed me with depression and given me antidepressants even though I'm certain I'm not depressed. The area I live in is very economically and socially deprived and the doctors don't have a great amount of knowledge. Am I being a hypochondriac and is it due to depression or could it be low T? (My levels are less than those for the average 100 year old male)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Please post a link to studies/websites that state your testosterone is low especially the one which states your levels are less than the average 100 year old male.

Your testosterone is in the normal range and there is no indication for any supplementation.
Reply 2
Original post by RosaPonselle
Please post a link to studies/websites that state your testosterone is low especially the one which states your levels are less than the average 100 year old male.

Your testosterone is in the normal range and there is no indication for any supplementation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2272443/Lack-Energy-flagging-sex-drive-Testosterone-therapy-answer-need-Superman-jab.html (my score was 8.2)
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003707.htm (this states 300-1000 ng/dL)

There's many more links but my phone crashes when I post too many but this is what worries me as my symptoms correlate perfectly :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Those symptoms are also indicative of depression, of course.

But yes, according to that infallible fount of wisdom WP, it is low for men less than 50, but not appallingly so and some of the references are less than totally convincing. Where did you get the test from?
Reply 4
Rule one: don't believe the Daily Mail about anything, and health matters doubly so!

I had seen the second one. Because it doesn't mention the normal decrease over time, it's one of those I put in the 'less than convincing' category.
Reply 5
Original post by unprinted
Those symptoms are also indicative of depression, of course.

But yes, according to that infallible fount of wisdom WP, it is low for men less than 50, but not appallingly so and some of the references are less than totally convincing. Where did you get the test from?

My GP :/ the thing is, my symptoms began after I passed out from a stab wound and hit my head hard off a wall and since then I've not been the same. The change was almost overnight. My gps are very incompetent too which is why I feel I can trust online strangers more than them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You can change GP, but this does sound like any low testosterone is a symptom of something else, rather than needing to be treated in isolation.

Being stabbed cannot do you any good mentally, never mind the physical effects, for example. Have you had the head injury examined?
Ok.. just had a look at the figures a little more closely. 241ng/dL = 8.3nm/L. Strange to see a UK lab reporting SI units as opposed to metric but never mind.

I didn't have the metric figure to hand earlier and now that I do that is on the low side. I'm not an endocrinologist so take what I say with a pinch of salt. First off we don't have the full picture. So you're best going back to your GP and asking for clarification. It maybe repeating the test along with FSH/LH (if not already done might be indicated). The next question is why is it so low. LH drives testosterone production and whilst it's conceivable that a head injury could damage the pituitary where LH is secreted it is pretty unlikely (as in cross the road run and being run over unlikely).

Do you take any body building supplements or recreational drugs?

No one here is going to be able to give you a straight answer. Your GP is best placed to do so as he will have access to the full picture. If you're unhappy with your GP then I suggest a change.
Reply 8
You can change GP, but this does sound like any low testosterone is a symptom of something else, rather than needing to be treated in isolation.

Being stabbed cannot do you any good mentally, never mind the physical effects, for example. Have you had the head injury examined?

I went to A&E and had the wound stitched but I forgot to tell them about the head injury as I was in shock. There wasn't a visible wound on my head but reading back afterwards, I think I had concussion and yeah it did mentally affect me quite a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by RosaPonselle
Ok.. just had a look at the figures a little more closely. 241ng/dL = 8.3nm/L. Strange to see a UK lab reporting SI units as opposed to metric but never mind.

I didn't have the metric figure to hand earlier and now that I do that is on the low side. I'm not an endocrinologist so take what I say with a pinch of salt. First off we don't have the full picture. So you're best going back to your GP and asking for clarification. It maybe repeating the test along with FSH/LH (if not already done might be indicated). The next question is why is it so low. LH drives testosterone production and whilst it's conceivable that a head injury could damage the pituitary where LH is secreted it is pretty unlikely (as in cross the road run and being run over unlikely).

Do you take any body building supplements or recreational drugs?

No one here is going to be able to give you a straight answer. Your GP is best placed to do so as he will have access to the full picture. If you're unhappy with your GP then I suggest a change.

They told me it in metric but I gave it here in SI units so that you'd be able to compare to other websites better. I am thinking of switching GPs as they've never helped me with any medical conditions I've had. I've begun to take Tribulus after the test for it's mythical effect in increasing sexual performance (maybe helped) as well as a multivitamin and Fluoxetine as I've been prescribed it for depression which I oddly do not feel. However, being 18, I don't think HRT is an option for me due to it's long term effects and I've decided to try and change my lifestyle to get my T levels back to normal and then I'll take a test.

Note: I'm 5'9, 71kg, pretty lean/muscular so it's not obesity related which makes things seem so strange but I have a bad diet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
People always seem to forget that then it comes to free test, 300-1000ng/dL is an "acceptable" range for a MASSIVE range of ages. Something like 18-80.

Lifestyle changes should do the trick since you're not exactly looking for anabolic gains. But because of your situation it might still be something else... not to say that lifestyle changes won't help though. To echo everyone else, try a new doctor.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by tooosh
People always seem to forget that then it comes to free test, 300-1000ng/dL is an "acceptable" range for a MASSIVE range of ages. Something like 18-80.

Lifestyle changes should do the trick since you're not exactly looking for anabolic gains. But because of your situation it might still be something else... not to say that lifestyle changes won't help though. To echo everyone else, try a new doctor.

I asked my doctor what ages the 'acceptable range' was for. He replied 'all ages' which prompted me to note that includes men over 100 and those would have a naturally low T level anyways and all the symptoms associated. This made him angry as if I was disputing his professionalism and he snapped at me saying that age and T levels aren't linked so strongly. Surely this is bull?

He then went on to say that I'm paranoid and need to see a therapist as I have major depression even though I don't realise it, based on the fact I said experience derealisation and have lost interest in everything but surely this is a symptom of Low T too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Pizza King
I asked my doctor what ages the 'acceptable range' was for. He replied 'all ages' which prompted me to note that includes men over 100 and those would have a naturally low T level anyways and all the symptoms associated. This made him angry as if I was disputing his professionalism and he snapped at me saying that age and T levels aren't linked so strongly. Surely this is bull?

He then went on to say that I'm paranoid and need to see a therapist as I have major depression even though I don't realise it, based on the fact I said experience derealisation and have lost interest in everything but surely this is a symptom of Low T too?

Higher T has been known to provide resistance against depression and potentially derealization yes.

It is bull, T levels are known to decline with age. There's a lot of debate on how much though. Commonly quoted ranges are 0.3-1% a year after you turn 30-40.. when you get to 80+ that could be a lot. That combined with the atrocious modern western lifestyle means no-one really knows how much is a good level.
If you have a problem with your doctor, ask to see someone else for a second opinion.
Reply 14
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
If you have a problem with your doctor, ask to see someone else for a second opinion.

This is the second doctor I've seen and he remains stubborn about this range. I wouldn't be so persistent if this issue wasn't messing up my life this much. Everything's horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pizza King
This is the second doctor I've seen and he remains stubborn about this range. I wouldn't be so persistent if this issue wasn't messing up my life this much. Everything's horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then see yet another...

Have you considered that it might actually be you who is being stubborn and refusing to accept the possibility that you could be depressed. Its actually quite common in depression to not accept the problem.

Depression can cause low sex drive, and less sex/masturbation can lower your testosterone levels. Also, considering the accident you had, you could be suffering from post traumatic stress, which would also interlink with depression.

I would try exercise, improving your diet and having sex/masturbating (even if you don't feel like it) to naturally increase your testosterone and serotonin levels and see if you feel any better. If it helps.
Reply 16
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Then see yet another...

Have you considered that it might actually be you who is being stubborn and refusing to accept the possibility that you could be depressed. Its actually quite common in depression to not accept the problem.

Depression can cause low sex drive, and less sex/masturbation can lower your testosterone levels. Also, considering the accident you had, you could be suffering from post traumatic stress, which would also interlink with depression.

I would try exercise, improving your diet and having sex/masturbating (even if you don't feel like it) to naturally increase your testosterone and serotonin levels and see if you feel any better. If it helps.

Yeah I have considered the fact I am depressed and dismissed it purely because I have been clinically depressed for months a year ago and I know how that feels. This doesn't feel like that. I don't feel suicidal/worthlessness/despair like I did then. I simply feel like it's something physical but I am willing to try these lifestyle changes for a month and then see if I improve. Thanks a lot for your responses, I won't see a doctor again in the near future purely due to fear of me being referred to a psychiatrist for paranoia haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand that you don't want it to be depression, but there's more than one sort / set of symptoms. Plus given what's happened, it's unlikely to be your balls / pituitary gland suddenly having a physical problem at the same time.
Reply 18
I understand that you don't want it to be depression, but there's more than one sort / set of symptoms. Plus given what's happened, it's unlikely to be your balls / pituitary gland suddenly having a physical problem at the same time.

I understand this too. Thanks, I will await and see what happens. It's just frightening to go from being so active and energetic to this but thanks for your replies and help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mental health is as important as physical health and losing your Mojo needs addressing. Depression IS part of the problem so you have to deal with it. Try IAPT, your GP will refer you. A simple 12 week CBT course will give you tools you can use to enhance the rest of your life.

Quick Reply

Latest