summer26
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay I'll start, my favourite books are The Virgin Suicides, Memoirs of a Geisha, A Thousand Splendid Suns and Norwegian Wood any of you guys has read/heard about these books before?
pheonixfeather
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Not tea them, but my favourites have to be the Harry potter books, morganville vampires, savants series, the hunger games and Gallagher girls. along with any twisted fairy tail type thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hummi_C
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by summer26)
Okay I'll start, my favourite books are The Virgin Suicides, Memoirs of a Geisha, A Thousand Splendid Suns and Norwegian Wood any of you guys has read/heard about these books before?
I have heard of none of those, but then it's been a while since I found a properly good book

My favourites are His Dark Materials, and The God of Small Things was good as well, it's different
SummerSerenade
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I read The God of Small Things recently for my degree and I've got to agree that it was really good. Other than that, I'm enjoying the Game of Thrones books at the moment, and I'm also fond of Requiem for a Dream, Regeneration (the whole trilogy, but mainly the first book) and Junk.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby, The Fault in Our Stars, Life of Pi

Posted from TSR Mobile
KickboxingOli
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Stalingrad
Birdsong
Adrian Goldworthy's Caesar

So many others but too many to list.
BeautifulPotato
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I've always wanted to read Norwegian Wood! What makes it one of your favourites?

Mine are: The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck), Goodnight Mr. Tom (Magorian), How to be a woman (Moran) and On the Road (Kerouac).
christopher23
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Biff and Chip
summer26
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by BeautifulPotato)
I've always wanted to read Norwegian Wood! What makes it one of your favourites?

Mine are: The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck), Goodnight Mr. Tom (Magorian), How to be a woman (Moran) and On the Road (Kerouac).
Well I love Norwegian Wood because it's a coming of age book, which means I can quite relate the characters to my own life It's quite hard to explain why I love Norwegian Wood actually, something about the book just draws you into it...
Clementine101
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Thursdays Child by Noel Streatfield
xsindy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by christopher23)
Biff and Chip
LOL, oh gosh. The memories. <3
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
kite runner, to kill a mocking bird, Chinese Cinderella, belonging, afraid...... to name the few
AvengeNedStark
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Mein Kampf
snowystarks
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I love Memoirs of a Geisha! But my favourites are The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Tuesday's with Morrie, The Rules of Attraction (the Bret Easton Ellis one) and Fingersmith
And A Song of Ice and Fire... but sometimes i got bored and tired of certain POVs...
Princess-Zahra
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I am not sure I have favorite books, but there are many I've read, which are incredibly interesting.

Daniel Quinn: Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit

Ishmael is about a friendship between a man and a talking Gorilla, but its' not a silly novel. The Gorilla teaches the man about alternative Anarchism, which is opposed to mainstream anarchism. Mainstream anarchism contests that the world went wrong during the industrial revolution over 200-years ago. But the talking Gorilla argues that humanity went wrong with the agricultural revolution 10, 000 years ago. The book takes you on a journey through humanities anxieties and fears and links it to the unnatural result of the agricultural revolution.

Emma Larkin: Finding George Orwell in Burma

This part travelogue, part history and part political book explores the relationship between George Orwell and Burma. Orwell is famous for books like 1984 and Animal Farm, but in Burma he is more revered than in the West.

The Burmese call Orwell the 'prophet' because everything he wrote about came true in Burma. Plus Orwell spent many of his informal years in the country, so Emma Larkin travels to the country to better understand Orwell.

Khaled Khalifa: In Praise of Hatred

With Syria being such an issue, this novel is really interesting to read.

It is the story of a nameless teenage girl, who struggles to deal with her body and developing sexuality in 1980's Syria during a mini-civil war. But it is also about fundamentalism and femininity, she adopts religious fundamentalism to help deal with these issues. And how hatred forms identity and is as important as love.
Jooooshy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
A Clockwork Orange, The Great Gatsby, Catch 22
ilikesweets
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The faluts in our stars. Legend, prodigy and champion (it's a trioligy) and the mortal instrument series <3
username1149337
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Game of thrones is well worth the effort. Took me about 4 months to read them all but by then end I was just completely immersed in the amazing amount of detail and hugely complicated plot. Would highly recommend to anyone!
LilacLily
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Kite Runner
Dracula
Anne of Green Gables
Rebecca
KatrinaMay
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
There are so many...

If I had to move quickly and could only take one box of books, it would include;
Several Darkover books; The Bloody Sun, Sharra's Exile, The Heritage of Hasture
The Jaq D Hawkins Goblin series; Dance of the Goblins, Demoniac Dance and when it come sout, Power of the Dance
Jack Dawkins by Charlton Daines, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens as well as David Copperfield
The first two trilogies of the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.33%
Okay (64)
29.63%
A bit lacking (81)
37.5%
Not good at all (53)
24.54%

Watched Threads