The Student Room Group

Decision maths

Basically I am doing AS maths this year, doing M1, C1 and C2 on edexcel. I am finding M1 quite difficult, but I don't like Statistics at all. Next year for A2 could I do D1 as the optional unit? Or would I have to do M2?

If so, what is D1 like? and what does it include?
Reply 1
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Basically I am doing AS maths this year, doing M1, C1 and C2 on edexcel. I am finding M1 quite difficult, but I don't like Statistics at all. Next year for A2 could I do D1 as the optional unit? Or would I have to do M2?

If your school lets you/teaches it, you can do D1 (or you could self teach).

It's probably the easiest A Level Maths module there is, I did it in my A2 year and you could easily learn all of the content in a week.

Some topics are: algorithms (so lists of instructions to follow); networks; finding the shortest routes between nodes in a network; bipartite graphs.

S1 and M2 are definitely more interesting though.
Reply 2
Original post by alow
If your school lets you/teaches it, you can do D1 (or you could self teach).

It's probably the easiest A Level Maths module there is, I did it in my A2 year and you could easily learn all of the content in a week.

Some topics are: algorithms (so lists of instructions to follow); networks; finding the shortest routes between nodes in a network; bipartite graphs.

S1 and M2 are definitely more interesting though.

I self-teach at the moment, and probably will next year as well, although I may be taught C3 and C4. I will have to continue with my own optional module self taught, because I did M1 this year, and at my school they do M1 at A2 or they might do stats and there is no way I'll do stats.

I sounds better than S1 - I honestly cannot do statistics at all. I am struggling with M1 quite a bit right now, but I find C1 and C2 absolutely fine.
Reply 3

You can do M2, S1 or D1 next year provided you're doing m1 for AS.
I've done M1 and S1, and I assure you M1 is much easier, especially if you're doing physics, as there is so much overlap in concepts.
D1 is conceptually quite easy, but as traditionally f.maths students are the ones who do it, the grade boundaries are quite high, and D1 is such that a single silly mistake can have a huge snowball effect, and you'll drop loads of UMS consequently.
M2 is also an option, and if you're looking to do physics/engineering at university, I believe it's preferred. For economics related courses, defo do S1 instead. M2 is quite harder that M1, but again, the concepts overlap a lot with physics (with the exceptions of centres of mass, and coefficient of restitution which are not in AS physics), so you kill 2 birds with one stone. You won't struggle with M2 if you do some practice.
Reply 4
I self-teach at the moment, and probably will next year as well, although I may be taught C3 and C4. I will have to continue with my own optional module self taught, because I did M1 this year, and at my school they do M1 at A2 or they might do stats and there is no way I'll do stats.

I sounds better than S1 - I honestly cannot do statistics at all. I am struggling with M1 quite a bit right now, but I find C1 and C2 absolutely fine.

From what I've seen of you in that physics game thread, you really shouldn't be struggling with M1 as much as you seem to be. I think it's a lack of practice, and it can be sorted easily. M1 and D1 or M1 and M2 are your options, so choose accordingly, keeping in mind your uni ambitions. Since you've only started M1, give it some time to sink in before you make radical decisions. :smile:
Reply 5

Use this and do S1 - i recomend anyway - http://www.hegartymaths.com/category/a-level-edexcel-s1/

The videos are long (most around 25-30mins) but they are all really good!
3 videos = 1 topic .... there are around 6/7 topics... so try 1 topic a week or so and you could finish it neatly

Ryan
Reply 6
Original post by Tuya
You can do M2, S1 or D1 next year provided you're doing m1 for AS.
I've done M1 and S1, and I assure you M1 is much easier, especially if you're doing physics, as there is so much overlap in concepts.
D1 is conceptually quite easy, but as traditionally f.maths students are the ones who do it, the grade boundaries are quite high, and D1 is such that a single silly mistake can have a huge snowball effect, and you'll drop loads of UMS consequently.
M2 is also an option, and if you're looking to do physics/engineering at university, I believe it's preferred. For economics related courses, defo do S1 instead. M2 is quite harder that M1, but again, the concepts overlap a lot with physics (with the exceptions of centres of mass, and coefficient of restitution which are not in AS physics), so you kill 2 birds with one stone. You won't struggle with M2 if you do some practice.

From what I've seen of you in that physics game thread, you really shouldn't be struggling with M1 as much as you seem to be. I think it's a lack of practice, and it can be sorted easily. M1 and D1 or M1 and M2 are your options, so choose accordingly, keeping in mind your uni ambitions. Since you've only started M1, give it some time to sink in before you make radical decisions. :smile:

I don't know why I am. I did well at AS physics, and I'm quite ok with A2. I find the maths in physics easier, maybe because it's been taught by a good teacher, and not self-taught. I'll give it a while and if all else fails I can always re-sit next year.

I may just have to be patient and do as much practice as possible for it.
Reply 7
I don't know why I am. I did well at AS physics, and I'm quite ok with A2. I find the maths in physics easier, maybe because it's been taught by a good teacher, and not self-taught. I'll give it a while and if all else fails I can always re-sit next year.

The Maths on AS Physics isn't that advanced, it's generally just a matter of substitution, rearranging, drawing tangents to give the gradient etc.. However in A level Maths the Maths is way more advanced, that's why. The most advanced in Maths A level Physics gets from my experience so far is in a little logs work on capacitors, but apart from that not much Maths is even needed, I think it's mainly logic and exam language/key words.
Reply 8

Yep, practice. What UMS did you get in AS physics, if I may ask?
Plus, what have you applied to do at uni?
Reply 9
Original post by Tuya
Yep, practice. What UMS did you get in AS physics, if I may ask?
Plus, what have you applied to do at uni?

I got 263 I think or 260 I get physics and biology UMS muddled, but it was one of those.
I am doing astronomy at open uni but starting 2015 because I'm hoping to do A2 maths next year. If I do well that is.

Original post by krisshP
The Maths on AS Physics isn't that advanced, it's generally just a matter of substitution, rearranging, drawing tangents to give the gradient etc.. However in A level Maths the Maths is way more advanced, that's why. The most advanced in Maths A level Physics gets from my experience so far is in a little logs work on capacitors, but apart from that not much Maths is even needed, I think it's mainly logic and exam language/key words.

I agree. I am fine with maths in physics at both AS and A2 but struggle with AS maths. Well Core 1 and 2 are fine. It's just M1. Although I did have a year long break from maths, which may be why I struggle now.
Reply 10
I got 263 I think or 260 I get physics and biology UMS muddled, but it was one of those.
I am doing astronomy at open uni but starting 2015 because I'm hoping to do A2 maths next year. If I do well that is.
I agree. I am fine with maths in physics at both AS and A2 but struggle with AS maths. Well Core 1 and 2 are fine. It's just M1. Although I did have a year long break from maths, which may be why I struggle now.

Ah okay, those are pretty good AS results, so you should be alright I guess. No maths for a year clearly seems to have its effect :tongue:, just keep working :biggrin:
Reply 11

Yeah, may be try to get your brain up to speed before trying to jump into M1. Try doing perhaps say C2 Trig questions just to exercise your brain up to speed as I must admit you end up thinking a lot and quite quickly, plus it helps for 3 trig to recall c2 trig identities anyway, if you are taking a2 Maths. Use Examsolutions for M1, it's so great:biggrin: and then do some questions on the Edexcel M1 usual book. See the solutionbank if you can't see any way forward with a question. Make sure you understand absolutely everything. Drawing diagrams for questions help a LOT!:smile:

Good luck!:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by krisshP
Yeah, may be try to get your brain up to speed before trying to jump into M1. Try doing perhaps say C2 Trig questions just to exercise your brain up to speed as I must admit you end up thinking a lot and quite quickly, plus it helps for 3 trig to recall c2 trig identities anyway, if you are taking a2 Maths. Use Examsolutions for M1, it's so great:biggrin: and then do some questions on the Edexcel M1 usual book. See the solutionbank if you can't see any way forward with a question. Make sure you understand absolutely everything. Drawing diagrams for questions help a LOT!:smile:

Good luck!:smile:

Thank you so much. I understand trig and everything from AS physics, and over the summer I went over my entire GCSE maths book, so I had some background knowledge. I find C1 and C2 very easy in comparison. Differentiation is much easier for me compared to most of M1.

Original post by Tuya
Ah okay, those are pretty good AS results, so you should be alright I guess. No maths for a year clearly seems to have its effect :tongue:, just keep working :biggrin:

Thank you. Yeah but I went over everything from GCSE maths before I started, but I must admit some simple things do get forgotten now and again.
Reply 13
Thank you so much. I understand trig and everything from AS physics, and over the summer I went over my entire GCSE maths book, so I had some background knowledge. I find C1 and C2 very easy in comparison. Differentiation is much easier for me compared to most of M1.

What do you struggle with in M1?
Reply 14
Original post by krisshP
What do you struggle with in M1?

I get equations of motion, they're easy. I find moments easy and statics of particles are ok for the majority of it.

It's really vectors (when using i and j and all that sort of thing, I understand the basics but struggle to apply it to complex questions) and also dynamics of a particle - so using F=ma, particularly on inclined planes. I get confused with those two chapters really badly. To a point where I can't even get my head around what's going on. I've been watching some exam solutions videos, they're very helpful thanks :smile:
Reply 15
I see most of you are talking about Physics here, I'm stuck on a Physics question but it is about electricity:

I was attempting some questions and I couldnt figure out how to do it after leaving it and coming back to it. The question is the following:

Two 8(Ohm) resistors and a battery of emf 12.0v and internal resistance 8 (Ohm) are connected in series with each othe. Sketch the circuit diagram and calculate

i) The power delivered to each external resistor

ii) The power wasted due to internal resistance
(These questions I get is part b I dont understand) Read on

b) The two 8 (Ohm) resistors in a are reconnected in parallel with each other then connected to the same battery. Sketch the circuit diagram and calculate

i) The power delivered to each external resistor

ii) The power wasted to internal resistance

I got the following as what I thought the circuit would look like

(This is the question I dont understand part bi() and I havent attempted bii) yet
Reply 16
I get equations of motion, they're easy. I find moments easy and statics of particles are ok for the majority of it.

It's really vectors (when using i and j and all that sort of thing, I understand the basics but struggle to apply it to complex questions) and also dynamics of a particle - so using F=ma, particularly on inclined planes. I get confused with those two chapters really badly. To a point where I can't even get my head around what's going on. I've been watching some exam solutions videos, they're very helpful thanks :smile:

The golden rule for vectors is r=r0 + vt, always be thinking about this when they talk about displacement/distance, velocity and time, it's very useful. I think when you need to calculate, say the magnitude of a velocity vector to get speed, you can't recall the formulae that it is the sum of square of the horizontal component and the square of the vertical component all square rooted by Pythagoras' theorem. In that case I recommend perhaps going each chapter one by one, slowly, and doing all questions. Maybe you're not actually understanding the concepts. If this is the case to over things more slowly and try making some sense of them.

Inclined planes is diagrams to start it off, they help a lot, see

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44948452#post44948452

look at the 5th post there. You only use F=ma on the plane if there's acceleration, otherwise you just say the resultant force is 0 as F=m(0) so F=0. Just watch the Examsolutions and practise really:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest