The Student Room Group

Maths help - Number Sequences

Hello, i need some help in these, please,

1) What level is this? GCSE - A LEVEL or ++ ( Maths noob :frown: )
2) How do I work out what to do, and how to approach these questions and please Explain, Im blank espically 5/6.

Sorry about the poor pictures

Thank you very much
Original post by helpmekid

2) How do I work out what to do, and how to approach these questions and please Explain, Im blank espically 5/6.

Thank you very much

THis is potentially GCSE or AS level.
Reply 2
Original post by keromedic

Oh okay, thanks could you please, if you have some time, solve 6 or some and Please explain how you did them.

Thank You

Thank you very much

Number 5 is 40.96. The pattern is multiply the first two numbers then square it (groups of 3). So you multiply the last two in the list and square it. As soon as you see 144 you should instantly start thinking of something to do with square numbers, also notice 9 and 2.25 which are obvious squares.

Number 6 is take the first two numbers, divide the first by the second, then multiply the first by the second (groups of 4). So the answer is 1.2.
Reply 4
Original post by keromedic

At GCSE you do Arithmetic Series and at AS you do Arthmetic and Geometric Series I have never seen series like this before and I have got to admit I struggled with them and still do after seeing them and I have never seen them come up on an exam so really they off the scope of all levels.
Reply 5
Original post by Hedgeman49
Number 5 is 40.96. The pattern is multiply the first two numbers then square it (groups of 3). So you multiply the last two in the list and square it. As soon as you see 144 you should instantly start thinking of something to do with square numbers, also notice 9 and 2.25 which are obvious squares.

Number 6 is take the first two numbers, divide the first by the second, then multiply the first by the second (groups of 4). So the answer is 1.2.

WOW, thanks for your help, But i would not have got that unless, you now told me, how to do it?

So how do i get "better" at that? where can i get practise on things like that. How do you instantly know what to do,

Thank You very much:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
WOW, thanks for your help, But i would not have got that unless, you now told me, how to do it?

So how do i get "better" at that? where can i get practise on things like that. How do you instantly know what to do,

Thank You very much:smile:

Basically solve them through trial and error. Like I mentioned the 144 is an obvious square so try squaring the number before it, the number after it... in this case I noticed that 4x3 gave the 12 that needs to be squared to get 144.

Just remember that there are limited things they do with a list of numbers: the four operations plus squaring, rooting etc. You just have to figure out what is operating on what.
Reply 7
Original post by Hedgeman49
Basically solve them through trial and error. Like I mentioned the 144 is an obvious square so try squaring the number before it, the number after it... in this case I noticed that 4x3 gave the 12 that needs to be squared to get 144.

Just remember that there are limited things they do with a list of numbers: the four operations plus squaring, rooting etc. You just have to figure out what is operating on what.

Umm, Yes :smile: Thank you very much for that! :smile:

Yay, Im alot more confident now :smile: Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest