The Student Room Group

What political/current affairs magazine does everyone read?

Poll

What political/ current affairs magazines do you read?

Hello all What political/CA magazine does everyone read? (multiple choice but please don't go all out and tick more that you do read!)
Private Eye just great as it is written by two old Slopians and their captions like 'I'm not tired, I have just got a Gammy Clegg!' are just great.
TIME magazine is well written and has a good few Geography related articles in, this just shows how related Geography and other social sciences like Politics are inextricably linked.
Reply 2
Got myself a cheeky student subscription to 'The Economists'.
Reply 3
Spectator​.
Reply 4
Reply 5
occasionally I read the New Statesman.
Reply 6
I read a lot of The Economist. Their foreign policy stuff is full of crap though.

Oh and some of their economics too :wink:
Reply 7
I don't often but when i do it's The Economist, New Statesman or Spectator.
I am sincerely bewildered by the relative success of political magazines of the like mentioned; they are, on the whole, platitudinous in content, piecemeal in focus, and dry in style -- occasionally, a novel piece of under-considered social theory is mentioned, or some local empirical curiosity, but I fail to see how these exceptions would possess someone to subscribe.
Private Eye - for insider stories and their tremendous integrity and consistency in exposing hypocrisy, attacking the cynicism and manipulative nature of all parts of the establishment, media and parliament and for the way they nearly always lead the charge on things that are wrong, with others catching up often many years later.

The Economist - for the breadth of its international coverage and for the way it gets to grips with issues and puts forwards its own views but leaves you space to think and does not force agreement or patronise. Overwhelmingly the most coherent source on many important parts of the world and much better informed than most of the rest of the press.

New Statesman - don't bother with it any more - is a shadow of what it used to be.

The Spectator - comical for all its confusion and pseudo-cerebral way it tries to hide it. Often very funny in ways it cannot possibly have deliberately set out to be.

New Scientist - consistently one of the best mags in the High St, contains many challenging articles about the current state of the Earth, the way things are going, environment, energy, research, etc.

Guido Fawkes - scurrilous, street fighting, very often wrong and inaccurate, hopelessly biased towards absurdist libertarian arguments - but for all that, often spot on and incredibly revealing about the reality of politicians in this country and their antics. Worth reading for all the insider material about the hopelessly awful Tory and Labour hypocrisies and humbuggery.

Total Politics - wall to wall boredom. Avoid. Iain Dale used to be worth reading when he regularly wrote under his own name, if only to hate him and everything he said.

Left Foot Forward - the best of the leftish blogs - very accurate and full of surprising facts and insights.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Private Eye - for insider stories and their tremendous integrity and consistency in exposing hypocrisy, attacking the cynicism and manipulative nature of all parts of the establishment, media and parliament and for the way they nearly always lead the charge on things that are wrong, with others catching up often many years later.

The Economist - for the breadth of its international coverage and for the way it gets to grips with issues and puts forwards its own views but leaves you space to think and does not force agreement or patronise. Overwhelmingly the most coherent source on many important parts of the world and much better informed than most of the rest of the press.

New Statesman - don't bother with it any more - is a shadow of what it used to be.

The Spectator - comical for all its confusion and pseudo-cerebral way it tries to hide it. Often very funny in ways it cannot possibly have deliberately set out to be.

New Scientist - consistently one of the best mags in the High St, contains many challenging articles about the current state of the Earth, the way things are going, environment, energy, research, etc.

Guido Fawkes - scurrilous, street fighting, very often wrong and inaccurate, hopelessly biased towards absurdist libertarian arguments - but for all that, often spot on and incredibly revealing about the reality of politicians in this country and their antics. Worth reading for all the insider material about the hopelessly awful Tory and Labour hypocrisies and humbuggery.

Total Politics - wall to wall boredom. Avoid. Iain Dale used to be worth reading when he regularly wrote under his own name, if only to hate him and everything he said.

Left Foot Forward - the best of the leftish blogs - very accurate and full of surprising facts and insights.

You don't read all that surely. It's impossible.
Original post by Moosferatu
You don't read all that surely. It's impossible.

Well, I'm not reading them all consecutively, non-stop. :tongue: I was referring to the ones I dip in and out of and read in, say, a given three-month period.

I do read Private Eye most editions though, as it's fortnightly.
Reply 12
I skim through The Economist on most weeks, lots of garbage in it these days and loads of it are old news.
Original post by Alfissti
I skim through The Economist on most weeks, lots of garbage in it these days and loads of it are old news.

It certainly isn't worth £5 a copy (cheaper on Kindle, but a cut-down version) - I would buy it regularly when it was cheaper. I think it is a bit less high quality than it used to be, but some editions are good - like any mag, you have to be choosy about which times you buy it I think.
I wouldn't say I'm a regular reader of any of them, but occasionally I pick up The Economist or New Statesman, and very occasionally TIME. With the possible exception of The Week, I don't think I've ever read an actual copy of any of the others, though I've read a couple of online articles.

Magazines I'd prefer (though still don't read regularly) include Adbusters, Strike and Jacobin.
Reply 15
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It certainly isn't worth £5 a copy (cheaper on Kindle, but a cut-down version) - I would buy it regularly when it was cheaper. I think it is a bit less high quality than it used to be, but some editions are good - like any mag, you have to be choosy about which times you buy it I think.

I don't have a subscription :smile:

I read the one on the web or every now and then I read it at an airport lounge where they have a complimentary print version :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending