The Afterlife Must Exist

Watch
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
You always really have to see or feel something-if you experience something then you are alive thus how can one experience death, in order to experience death one has to be alive and if one experiences death then one isn't dead and thus I have proven that afterlife exists by contradiction.

I think that there are logical scientific reasons why the afterlife can exist.For example think about what happens when you die(or so called death not real death)-your brain stops functioning but isn't actually destroyed and even after x number of years, your brain isn't destroyed but just rotted away into tiny pieces that could be put together with other bits etc or form parts of other bits-a person could consume your remains and nutrients from these remains could be used to form sex cells for example and we know that life can come from dead things otherwise life would never have begun in the primordial soup.Every part that made you up is conserved, it can be broken down converted into other things but in the end of the day, the afterlife can and will happen but you will only be part of yourself-this means that biological death does have true significance because you are only part of yourself when you return, its like when The Doctor regenerates but a lot more extreme because you lose your memories as well.
Attached files
JohnPaul_
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Couple of problems.
We don't actually experience death, we just experience the processing leading up the very moment we do die.

If the afterlife existed then we'd know however it's an unfalsifiable idea and is untestable. Experience is the chemicals in the brain giving rise to consciousness and then feeling a connection to anything external of the brain via the sensory organs.

If you mean life as in energy in molecules then that's a completely different thing.

The main thing you've forgotten here is that the 2nd law of thermodynamics/entropy is completely incompatible with an afterlife thus making the idea very very improbable.

It's something we'll never know, but it's probably not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by JohnPaul_)
Couple of problems.
We don't actually experience death, we just experience the processing leading up the very moment we do die.

If the afterlife existed then we'd know however it's an unfalsifiable idea and is untestable. Experience is the chemicals in the brain giving rise to consciousness and then feeling a connection to anything external of the brain via the sensory organs.

If you mean life as in energy in molecules then that's a completely different thing.

The main thing you've forgotten here is that the 2nd law of thermodynamics/entropy is completely incompatible with an afterlife thus making the idea very very improbable.

It's something we'll never know, but it's probably not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can one not experience a decrease in life energy.I am alive now, if I die I must experience a change otherwise I'd still be alive.The main reason I believe in the afterlife is because you can't really die, as you die you are still alive-you've always got to see something(blinds see blackness) and even when you die nothing can make you sieze to experience things.
I have attached an image to OP of my scientific theory.
JohnPaul_
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
How can one not experience a decrease in life energy.I am alive now, if I die I must experience a change otherwise I'd still be alive.The main reason I believe in the afterlife is because you can't really die, as you die you are still alive-you've always got to see something(blinds see blackness) and even when you die nothing can make you sieze to experience things.
I have attached an image to OP of my scientific theory.
No you don't have to experience the change from life to death, that's why it's called death because it's the end and all experiences stop. You haven't always got to see something, when your brain is working yes, but the point of death is that the brain is shut down and no longer working, if it's no longer working then neither are the sensory organs, therefore there is no experience.

My argument against yours goes:

A) Experience is the sensory organs gathering external information and sending it to the brain.
B) The brain is what powers the sensory organs.
C) Death means brain is shut down and no longer at use.
D) Therefore the sensory organs aren't.
E) No sensory organs, no experience.
F) Equalling in no conscious knowledge of after-life. (That's why it's improbable and unfalsifiable/untestable)

This isn't a scientific theory I'm sorry to say. Theory doesn't mean 'idea', a theory is something which is a successfully tested hypothesis and has survived experiment and peer-review.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by JohnPaul_)
No you don't have to experience the change from life to death, that's why it's called death because it's the end and all experiences stop. You haven't always got to see something, when your brain is working yes, but the point of death is that the brain is shut down and no longer working, if it's no longer working then neither are the sensory organs, therefore there is no experience.

My argument against yours goes:

A) Experience is the sensory organs gathering external information and sending it to the brain.
B) The brain is what powers the sensory organs.
C) Death means brain is shut down and no longer at use.
D) Therefore the sensory organs aren't.
E) No sensory organs, no experience.
F) Equalling in no conscious knowledge of after-life. (That's why it's improbable and unfalsifiable/untestable)

This isn't a scientific theory I'm sorry to say. Theory doesn't mean 'idea', a theory is something which is a successfully tested hypothesis and has survived experiment and peer-review.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you die you effectively go to sleep( but without dreams because there is no mind to create dreams) and then it feels as if you never lived when you are resurrected.Therefore you never experience a death but just a change in life.

I must stress that when I'm resurrected I will only be partially me and I think I'll probably be a fly/microorganism after thinking this through and I would love to think that I actually die because I don't want to become a fly but I can't it doesn't make philosophical sense for a person to die completely.

It makes sense scientifically true after all isn't everything recycled and reused and I think its the same with life-you are decayed then consumed and this material is used in creating new life, which is at least a partial resurrection of you.I am probably made up of trillions of trillions of previous lifeforms according to the theory.
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Life is just a series of very complex chemical reactions in the brain. When these stop you stop, end of.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
This isnt science. Although an afterlife is possible you have not provided evidence to say there is one.

Science is about collecting evidence for testable hypotheses. You can't just chuck together some pieces of science and dodgy philosophy and call it a scientific theory. Theories are generally peer reviewed.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by blue n white army)
Life is just a series of very complex chemical reactions in the brain. When these stop you stop, end of.
Parts of you become parts of new life in which these complex chemical reactions occur so I don't see your point-the whole Earth and probably Universe recycles everything and reuses everything and I believe that its the same with life but in your new life, you won't be fully you because only part of you is resurrected along with parts of other people so its like a new regeneration but what is you? because according to my theory I'm just made up of probably trillions of other people and possibly animals/bacterium etc.When you make decisions in your head and argue with yourself- the ones for and against are probably from different organisms that lived previously.
KeepYourChinUp
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
your brain stops functioning but isn't actually destroyed and even after x number of years, your brain isn't destroyed but just rotted away into tiny pieces
Actually when you die your brain stops transmitting signals, the remaining neutrons fire off and your brain cells stop functioning.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by The_Duck)
This isnt science. Although an afterlife is possible you have not provided evidence to say there is one.

Science is about collecting evidence for testable hypotheses. You can't just chuck together some pieces of science and dodgy philosophy and call it a scientific theory. Theories are generally peer reviewed.
You can't test this theory so you can't provide evidence:confused:, this is similar to Stephen Hawking's theory of why God didn't create the universe- both theories use already established facts to create a theory.I am not a biologist in the end of the day so the fact I've created a decently basic theory is good and surely biologists could expand on this and produce a much better theory?
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by KeepYourChinUp)
Actually when you die your brain stops transmitting signals, the remaining neutrons fire off and your brain cells stop functioning.
Everything that you can't be destroyed it breaks the fundamental laws of physics like conservation of mass etc and thus there is always a possibility of an afterlife.I'm thinking that the title might not be the best idea because an afterlife is actually life in my new theory-there is no chance that heaven exists or rubbish like that because there is nowhere for it take place or no explanation of how it could occur.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
This seems a bit like a homeopathic version of The Circle of Life from The Lion King.
Aoide
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You can't test this theory so you can't provide evidence:confused:, this is similar to Stephen Hawking's theory of why God didn't create the universe- both theories use already established facts to create a theory.I am not a biologist in the end of the day so the fact I've created a decently basic theory is good and surely biologists could expand on this and produce a much better theory?
Yes and they have thought about it an come to the conclusion that all evidence points to death being the end.

You don't need to experience something for it to occur. I don't experience you typing yet this thread proves that you have. I can't experience my own death but it will occur.

What you identify as yourself isn't in the matter itself but rather created by its arrangement and complex interactions. There is nothing intrinsic about the atoms that you consist of which cause consciousness but rather they way they are structured. The atoms that make up you will have existed in many thousands of organisms since life began yet the only consciousness you feel is your own. The matter cannot be destroyed but the arrangement required for it to be you can easily be disrupted and when you die the atoms cease to exist in the form required for your consciousness to exist.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by Aoide)
Yes and they have thought about it an come to the conclusion that all evidence points to death being the end.

You don't need to experience something for it to occur. I don't experience you typing yet this thread proves that you have. I can't experience my own death but it will occur.

What you identify as yourself isn't in the matter itself but rather created by its arrangement and complex interactions. There is nothing intrinsic about the atoms that you consist of which cause consciousness but rather they way they are structured. The atoms that make up you will have existed in many thousands of organisms since life began yet the only consciousness you feel is your own. The matter cannot be destroyed but the arrangement required for it to be you can easily be disrupted and when you die the atoms cease to exist in the form required for your consciousness to exist.
They haven't thought about it enough-maybe they simply aren't as aware of themselves as others because it is hard for me to see how I could die, I could be resurrected in 1 millions years after my death but I couldn't actually fully die because you can't stop experiencing things-I will always have to feel something.
Aoide
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
They haven't thought about it enough-maybe they simply aren't as aware of themselves as others because it is hard for me to see how I could die, I could be resurrected in 1 millions years after my death but I couldn't actually fully die because you can't stop experiencing things-I will always have to feel something.
No they have thought about it, the afterlife is quite a fiercely debated topic. What is it about dying you don't seem to get? What makes you think you can't stop experiencing things? After death you must stop feeling things because the organs used to create those sensations break down.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think the flaw in your argument is your use of the word 'experience'. Technically there is always an afterlife. We are all made up of atoms and when we die, whether we are cremated or buried etc etc, those atoms go off to form something else, which could be living ... your atoms could becomes atoms within a tree or a squirrel or anything !!!
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by nic-nac)
I think the flaw in your argument is your use of the word 'experience'. Technically there is always an afterlife. We are all made up of atoms and when we die, whether we are cremated or buried etc etc, those atoms go off to form something else, which could be living ... your atoms could becomes atoms within a tree or a squirrel or anything !!!
Exactly my point that proves the afterlife.I admit that its likely that you will be resurrected to be a fly or insect or microorganism and this isn't a very pleasant thought.Those atoms are you and that means you are resurrected but in a different form and you are only partially resurrected.
The_Duck
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
1. If a theory cannot be tested, it is not science.
2. Stephen Hawking does not have a theory for God's non-participation. If he did then it would be established fact. It is merely hawking's opinion that God did not create the universe.
3. If you are not a biologist, don't try to create arguments based on biology without consulting a biologist first.
The_Duck
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Exactly my point that proves the afterlife.I admit that its likely that you will be resurrected to be a fly or insect or microorganism and this isn't a very pleasant thought.Those atoms are you and that means you are resurrected but in a different form and you are only partially resurrected.
That's not resurrection, it's the carbon cycle, and as such is not under any definition of afterlife.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by The_Duck)
1. If a theory cannot be tested, it is not science.
2. Stephen Hawking does not have a theory for God's non-participation. If he did then it would be established fact. It is merely hawking's opinion that God did not create the universe.
3. If you are not a biologist, don't try to create arguments based on biology without consulting a biologist first.
Yes he did create a theory on how God can't have created the universe it was published in a book called Stephen Hawking's Grand Design.It is a theory that I believe in but you can't put it to the test or provide evidence for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.06%
October 2021 (194)
45.65%
November 2021 (44)
10.35%
December 2021 (57)
13.41%
January 2021 (47)
11.06%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.18%